Home

How much does a gallon of gas cost for you now?

Jae Onasi

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see where I implied that. However, we should be focusing on alternative options for fuel, and not groveling to OPEC to produce more. For example, Alaska has enough oil for America to be supplied for quite some time.

Let me present this situation: The Government drills in Alaska, and sells the oil at 100% profit. Not only are we away from Venezuela and Arabia, but we are now dependent almost completely on ourselves, the Government is making the money it needs to research/fund alternative sources, and the stranglehold that now grips America is alleviated.

Of course, I realize that bureaucracy would most likely get in the way, but it's better to try something than nothing at all.

Technical projections and estimates of drilling ANWR

Total oil independence at 20 million barrels per day (using the before mentioned 10.5 billion barrel mean) would only supply the United States for 525 days (or less than a year and a half, but this complete supporting is impossible).

You pay almost $4 per gallon? Outrageous! In my neighbourhood it is about $7 per galon (rounded down) but hey, I live in a small country in Central Europe and not in USA so I should be happy that it's so cheap...

My conclusion: you don't really have to worry about anything... Oil will get more and more expensive but US government will guard low prices in USA.

$3.73 a gallon today. $68.00 to fill up and I still had almost a quarter of a tank. :( Once a week I really hate my new car.
That's about what it hit here today as well. Last time I had to fill up it was still $3.19 :(

Luckily, I think I have enough in the tank to get me through the holiday weekend.

Luckily, i run on Budweiser.

If only it were that simple. America would be the most fuel efficient country on the planet, then. :p

If gas prices keep rising the way they do, however, we're all between a rock and a hard place. The world runs on oil, and if we don't start preparing for an oil-free existence, we're going to really regret it.

Oh, and on-topic, the price of gasoline just rose a few more cents here, as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with the massive amounts of people driving this weekend...

I'd like to complain about the number of people complaining about the frequency of complaints.

Might be a good time to nationalize oil production. Let those oil profits pay off our debt.

Don't try to give them any ideas, TK. Next thing you know, they'll try to nationalize everything else (what, with a precedent set) and then they'll remind us when we protest that it was always their money anyway, we were just be allowed to use it. Worst part is.....they'll just take that money and use it to run up more debt. ;)

Oh, and on-topic, the price of gasoline just rose a few more cents here, as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with the massive amounts of people driving this weekend...

What? Are you saying the gas companies are taking advantage of the holiday to raise prices? Why, they'd never rip off their cusomers like that. :xp:

What? Are you saying the gas companies are taking advantage of the holiday to raise prices? Why, they'd never rip off their cusomers like that. :xp:

As if profits on a billion scale weren't enough. I really don't see the point, save for greed (and possibly squashing the middle class). Sure, gas is the sine qua non of the United States, but when will we take a stand? How much longer do you think that we will be able to afford these prices? I'm not implying that we all form militias and take over the oil derricks, but, at the very least, the public shouldn't just sit vacuously and take it, while our pocketbooks are drained.

Of course, that's just my two cents. :p

Yep. When supply is fixed and demand is increased, prices go up. This happens ever year during "the summer driving season". They'll dip again around Labor Day.

As if profits on a billion scale weren't enough. I really don't see the point, save for greed (and possibly squashing the middle class). Sure, gas is the sine qua non of the United States, but when will we take a stand? How much longer do you think that we will be able to afford these prices? I'm not implying that we all form militias and take over the oil derricks, but, at the very least, the public shouldn't just sit vacuously and take it, while our pocketbooks are drained.

Of course, that's just my two cents. :p

Profit is the reward for risk. The oil companies deserve every single cent they made.

However, I think what everyone should be ready to grab a pitchfork or torch over is the fact that we continue to pay for oil subsidies (which are paid to the oil companies) via our tax dollars. So while the companies deserve to make whatever it is that they make for selling a product that everyone want, they do not deserve to get money from the federal government to pad their profits.

[off-topic] Funny that we can have these frank discussion about gas, but no one seems to care about CEO salaries or the outrageous contracts that professional athletes get. :)

[off-topic] Funny that we can have these frank discussion about gas, but no one seems to care about CEO salaries or the outrageous contracts that professional athletes get. :)

At the risk of sounding off-topic, I think that America's, and the world's, for that matter, hierarchy of respect is terribly askew. I can only speak for the U.S.A., but our priorities are out of whack. Television stars and professional sports players are some of the most respected people in the country, but for what? Money, big houses, and other such things entice people and draw them away from other, more reasonable, professions.

If it were up to me, Teachers would be the most respected people in our country; the top of the pyramid (of respect). To me, nothing is more important than instilling intelligence in the youth, and yet, teachers make around $40,000 a year, while professional athletes make millions. And for what reason? Athletes are playing a game, while the teachers hold the future of our country in their hands, if not the world. Of course, since they would hold such a coveted position, becoming a teacher would take a series of rigorous tests. You'd want the teachers of your children to be well-qualified, no?

However, I think what everyone should be ready to grab a pitchfork or torch over is the fact that we continue to pay for oil subsidies (which are paid to the oil companies) via our tax dollars. So while the companies deserve to make whatever it is that they make for selling a product that everyone want, they do not deserve to get money from the federal government to pad their profits.

Back on-topic: Oil companies do deserve to make profits, but not in this way. Companies are responding to the increasing prices in oil, and even if it get to us (the gasoline, that is) for three months, we immediately feel the increased prices. That's a bit odd, isn't it? ;)

That's about what it hit here today as well. Last time I had to fill up it was still $3.19 :([/Quote] Show off. Thanks to you, most of my driving lately has been around Liberty City.

Luckily, i run on Budweiser.
As long as you are not driving when you are running on Budweiser. HerbieZ my opionion on you dropped a few notches too. You have all that great European beer and you drink Budweiser?

The oil companies deserve every single cent they made. [/Quote] Every single cent?

Professional athletes deserve every single cent they make, they will need every cent to cover the steroids and the legal fees.

Back on-topic: Oil companies do deserve to make profits, but not in this way.
Why not?

Gold is selling for over $900 per ounce. Why aren't we similarly outraged about that? How come we don't have "Big Mining" attending Congressional hearings to discuss perceived price gouging?

For the record, I'm not arguing that the oil companies aren't corrupt, opportunistic, or whatever, only that I am not inclined to jump to those kinds of conclusions without evidence that current prices cannot be explained by natural market forces.

Companies are responding to the increasing prices in oil, and even if it get to us (the gasoline, that is) for three months, we immediately feel the increased prices. That's a bit odd, isn't it? ;)
I'm not sure I entirely understand the question, but I'll take a stab at what I think you're asking.

There are a set number of refineries and those refineries have a limit on how much they can produce. As such, at some point we reach the level where we say "I can't make it any faster". So if the refineries are operating at capacity, we have a limit on supply.

On the other hand we know that based on trends there are certain times of the year during which Americans do more traveling than others. One of these is Summer, when kids are home from school and families take advantage of the break to go on vacation. More flying, more train rides, more hours in a car. All of these things put an increased demand on gas supplies.

If supply is limited and demand is greater than supply, then people are willing to pay more to ensure that they are able to get some of said supply. As soon as that demand comes back down to where it touches or drops below supply (more supply than demand) then the prices will come back down too.

I hope I'm on the right track here. Thanks for reading.

Every single cent?
Aside from the money made from subsidies (as a mentioned above), yes. I don't begrudge them their profits for having something that everyone wants.

If this discussion goes on much longer, I'm going to be able to start accusing some of our more vocal conservative friends of harboring a communist agenda :D

Professional athletes deserve every single cent they make, they will need every cent to cover the steroids and the legal fees.
Don't forget all the bling.

Don't forget all the bling.

:rofl:

Anyway, getting back to the topic...

Up to $3.91 here. Though I did see one place selling for $3.89 (but it was one of those noname places run by a pair of shifty-eyed brothers :xp: ).

As long as you are not driving when you are running on Budweiser. HerbieZ my opionion on you dropped a few notches too. You have all that great European beer and you drink Budweiser?

For the record, i've never been in the seat. I wanted to feel American and manly so i drink bud. :lol:

almost 4 dollars a gallon where I am... It cost me 75 dollars to fill up my truck the other day.. :?

I still say that we, being the U.S.A., should have a mandated fuel economy. China, last I heard, required all cars sold in the People's Republic to have a minimum fuel economy of 35 miles per gallon. So, what's the reason we haven't done that here?

In my opinion, the Catalytic Converter could have been done much quicker, but the Car Companies put up such a fight... Then, we find out that they already knew how to create something of that nature (the Converter, that is). :tsk:

Then again, what's stopping us from creating much more fuel efficient cars? Why can't we break 40 miles per gallon by 2015?

Archived