Home

The alignment system - Good/Evil and Law/Chaos?

RedHawke

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Words aren't canon, works are canon.

Mr Chee decides which works are canon. Thus his word is of a higher level of canon, whether you like it or not.

Pretty sure it is.

Nope. Whether Malachor was destroyed depended on HK-47's decision in the factory, not the Exile's alignment.

NEC was released before NEGD. :xp:

Whoops, my bad.

"No. We've avoided anything concrete about the canon ending. The only reason why we decided on a canon gender for the Revan and the exile was out of editorial necessity." --Leland Chee

He says the reason they had a canon ending was out of editorial necessity. That means that for that reason, that's what they decided on for canon. Which means that it's canon.

Nope. Whether Malachor was destroyed depended on HK-47's decision in the factory, not the Exile's alignment.

That is, it would have depended on that if the factory stuff actually happened.

...Actually it is realistic, since by your logic, there is only one point of view and Saddam Hussien's supporters all are evil and know it (or idoits/crazy). That is simply not true. Many good people think that causes like Hussien's are good ones. You will be hard-pressed to find many people who seriously think they are working for an evil cause and are alright with that, even the greedy ones have a problem with it.

Well, I didn't want to use Hitler, because of fear of invoking Godwin's Law. You're right, but I wanted to make a point about the fact that people in RL may not wish to worship such a dictator.

What Revan did (falling to the DS, taking over the Republic, using the MSG to kill off Republic troops and convert Jedi to DS) is objectively evil by George Lucas' POV, and Revan knows it. He may be justified in what he has done, but it is still evil, and Evil is Evil. But Revan still have fans and support for what he has done. This may be because the player is Revan...or it may be because of other factors, such as the True Sith.

People can come up with any sort of viewpoint to justify their actions. And in real life, ethical relativism might be useful. But this is Star Wars. Ethical relativism is just plain wrong in the universe of George Lucas. There is a Good. There is an Evil.

He says the reason they had a canon ending was out of editorial necessity. That means that for that reason, that's what they decided on for canon. Which means that it's canon.

No, he said that they chose a canonical gender for the Exile out of editorial necessity, but decided not to do so with the ending.

That is, it would have depended on that if the factory stuff actually happened.

As you said, the factory stuff did happen, and it has nothing to do with the Exile's alignment, even if it would have if it had made it into the final version of the game (which it didn't then, either).

Again, the Exile was a heroine during the Mandalorian Wars.

At this point, you're just splitting hairs. It's a fact that while it does not precisely state that the Exile is light-sided, that is what the sentence means.

And no matter what NEC or NEGD says about the Exile's alignment, it isn't canon.

I'd like you to name a single canonical source that contradicts the NEGD statements (let alone overrules them).

How does the word "heroine" not mean anything about alignment?

Heroine: the principal female character in a literary or dramatic work

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heroine

You can be a prinicipal character without being a LS Jedi, you know?

That being said, in every single LF's work, if you have a choice, the game's canon ending is that of Light-Side. So, in the end, Exile's canon alignment is LS. But as long as you can choose your alignment in the KOTOR series for Exile and Revan, canon can be safely disregarded for how you would like to RP.

It's a fact that while it does not precisely state that the Exile is light-sided, that is what the sentence means.

Says you, maybe. If the statement is ambiguous, then how is it even relevant to anything? You can't take any meaning from it.

That being said, in every single LF's work, if you have a choice, the game's canon ending is that of Light-Side. So, in the end, Exile's canon alignment is LS. But as long as you can choose your alignment in the KOTOR series for Exile and Revan, canon can be safely disregarded for how you would like to RP.

The same applied for the PC's gender...before the Exile. Just because that's the way it's always been, doesn't mean it's always going to be that way.

And the Essential Guides have made plenty of statements that were overridden in the past. This is but one of them.

"No. We've avoided anything concrete about the canon ending. The only reason why we decided on a canon gender for the Revan and the exile was out of editorial necessity." --Leland Chee, here

Uh? This proves my statement. ;)

You can feel free to bug Prime about it further (as Prime is my original source on this topic, though I have lost his link to said info to time the EU Forum might be a good place to search for this topic) but there was a blanket statement made by LL that states the good/lightside endings (for games) are automatically considered canon.

Uh? This proves my statement. ;)

You can feel free to bug Prime about it further (as Prime is my original source on this topic, though I have lost his link to said info to time the EU Forum might be a good place to search for this topic) but there was a blanket statement made by LL that states the good/lightside endings (for games) are automatically considered canon.

Mr Chee's comment explicitly states the contrary. Neither ending of K2 can be considered canon at this point.

Hero = Good

Villain = Evil

Incorrect, the conception of the hero varies... Overview found here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero

And would some of you chill out, enough with the nerdrage already :p Its only a canon debate.

I'm still of the opinion that RH is correct; JC, I know alot of people who consider that the K2 ending is LS canon, and I'm sure RH or Prime, can find the statement of such...

Archived