Home

??? www.old-republic.com ??? Did anyone know that this site has copies of mods?

The Source

You're right, and I take it that they did not have your permission to host DAP, and yet it's there.

There are also mods on this site from several other authors that are well known here, including:

stoffe

ChAiNz.2da

Shem

Darth333

...and a few others that I couldn't identify just by looking at the mod title.

You're right, and I take it that they did not have your permission to host DAP, and yet it's there.

There are also mods on this site from several other authors that are well known here, including:

stoffe

ChAiNz.2da

Shem

Darth333

...and a few others that I couldn't identify just by looking at the mod title.

I don't know about the others but they only posted the readme of a few of my mods and linked to the original download site and that's ok with me.

Woah, deja vu.

I don't know why or when, but I think somebody already notified Old-Republic of the submitted mods and said it somewhere on some forum already. I just don't remember where. :confused:

Still, those mods are pretty old (Ooh, "The War on Dantooine" looks like fun! :D ), so you'd basically be beating a dead horse if you told Old-Republic about it now. It doesn't even look like the site was updated recently. Considering how the last update was in November 2007, I don't even think they would bother updating the main site anymore. The forums seem to be pretty active, though.

Checked the download links on a few mods and they all went to Filefront.

I took a quick look earlier and it doesn't look like there's anything newer than 2006. If that's the case it's relatively innocent and probably not worth throwing a fit over. Throwing fits makes me tired. x.x

You might be right Inyri. Before I made a thread, I sent them an email. Their design does look like a FileFront site. I just clicked on the DAP download link, and it heads over to LucsFiles.com. As long as they don't make the mod downloadable from their server, I don't think there is anything wrong with the advertising. I am glad that they kept the discritpions intact, so that the original developers get credit.

The trouble is, they have mods up there that break the rules.

You have a good point; however, lets put it into perspective. Who is going to get into trouble? If anyone of the mods break the rules, the site owners themselves would ultimately get the axe. Everyone else will carry on knowing that they personally didn't break any of Lucas' modding laws.

If they are breaking LucasForums rules, there is nothing that we can personally do about it. Old-Republic has their own set of rules, which they themselves are responsible for. If they are breaking LucasArts' rules, they will eventually get into trouble for it. Any of the rule-following modders are free and clear. Only the site owners will be in trouble.

True, Mac, but I don't think LA is going to differentiate much between our communities.

Ah. I see where you are going. If you were to hit the download links, for the mods at Old-Republic, they actually open at the point of origin. DAP opens up at LucasFiles.com, and others open up at FileFront.com. Since LucasForums is hip to hip with LucasArts, maybe they can send a warning shot across Old-Republic's bow.

The only thing we can do is remove the advertising. Since they didn't upload the files to their server, the only issue is the external links and discriptions.

Since I couldn't find a email address, I used their contact form found here:

http://www.old-republic.com/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=1&Itemid=63

Archived