Home

Malak's Jaw

Gurges-Ahter

Does anyone have any knowledge of the reason Revan sabered-off Malak’s jaw? I don’t know if it’s mentioned in the games or not. I’ve read some on Wookieepedia but haven’t gotten a definitive answer. It must have happened while they were still both Sith, and before Malak attempted to blow up Revan’s ship because Malak assumed Revan was killed in the blast. Perhaps Malak challenged Revan prior to that incident? Or was Revan just pissed off at Malak for some reason and decided to swipe off his jaw? Revan was the Dark Lord of the Sith, but IMO was never ruthlessly cruel – there was always a reason behind what he did.

Malak_Jawless.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the following on Wookieepedia, although clearly that is not the definitive resource for truth. I haven't heard anything else until your post about Kavar, so I took it as truth.

Though the Dark Lord's apprentice, at one point under Darth Revan's tutelage, Darth Malak's entire jaw was removed by a lightsaber strike from Revan himself.

and

The shield was a prosthesis made necessary by a ghastly lightsaber injury that completely severed his lower jaw,[1] inflicted by none other than his Sith master, Darth Revan.

# ↑ 1.0 1.1 Image:Databank_title.png Darth Malak in the Databank

Although, when I clicked on the link, this was all I could find in the Databank:

Malak was a tall human who was horridly injured in a lightsaber duel. A swipe from a laser sword severed his lower jaw, and Malak was forced to wear a metallic jaw guard that hid his disfigurement from view. The guard also included a vocoder, through which Malak spoke with an eerie metallic tone.

I just looked there. It claims the source of Revan being the one to chop Malak's jaw off is an article in Star Wars Insider 88 entitled Heritage of the Sith.

Until reading this I was under the impression that everyone in the galaxy had cut Malak's jaw off, including Bastila, Kavar, Revan, Alek, Darth Bane, and Jacen Solo. Go figure.

If it was ever stated in canon, then it would be on Wookieepedia for sure.

Sure it would... :rolleyes:

Well, let's look at it this way: we know that it happened after they found the first Star Map, probably after they found the Forge. I always assumed it was punishment for some dumb move of Malak's like Telos.

Given Revan's exceptional strategic skills, and his contemplative nature (even as a Sith), I wonder if he had other motives... perhaps he realized the strength of the Revan/Malak combination derived from Revan's strategic brilliance and Malak's eager brutality, and by "punishing" Malak with such severe measures, he would only add to Malak's pre-existing nature.

The funny thing is I have also read that it was during a lightsaber duel that Malak lost his jaw. I wish I could find the source, but that's what I remember. I've also read it was rumored that Kavar did the deed based on Candeorus' comments in the Iziz cantina in TSL. It was never stated as fact, but speculated that it was possible that it was Kavar.

Anyway, if it was Revan who did it, it wasn't because of a lightsaber duel as earlier reports have said. Besides, I have a hard time believing Malak would let Revan do that, especially since he had plans to overthrow him/her.

Sure it would... :rolleyes:

You give Wookieepedia too little credit, top Lucasfilm heads have given props to the level of detail and dedication of wookiee, regarding canon and keeping it up to date, yes you can edit it, but I guarantee If your edit is unfounded or wrong it will be re-edited almost immediately. No other source comes close to the depth of Wookieepedia and all info MUST be sourced.

Neither do I, as I consider myself knowledgeable enough to cite my own sources, and Wookieepedia is as good a source as any, there will be of course slight discrepancies in reiterations of information as you'd expect. You can say it's a bad source all you like but what have you got to prove it wrong? The Databank? that's more like a summery than a source of information. Don't get me wrong, I have a Library of Essential guides, comics, Novels etc etc, but up to now I've seen no real reason not to quote Wookiee :)

Neither do I, as I consider myself knowledgeable enough to cite my own sources, and Wookieepedia is as good a source as any, there will be of course slight discrepancies in reiterations of information as you'd expect.

It's more than "slight discrepancies". Just about anything and everything related to K2 is completely inaccurate, as Wookieepedia claims that the Exile is canonically light sided, which is not (yet) true, according to the Keeper of the Holocron, Mr Chee. And that's but one example.

You can say it's a bad source all you like but what have you got to prove it wrong?

Trust me; you don't want the list. ;)

The Databank? that's more like a summery than a source of information.

The Databank is more spotty than Wookieepedia. :p

Lets leave it at that :) I want to use Wookieepedia, you don't, but I neither trust or distrust your ability to produce a list, the things I can source from books I own have been consistent so far, so I have a level of trust in Wookiee thats why I use it, I've never really set out to prove it wrong so I wouldn't know, I can tell you have knowledge of canon and what not, it's just theres a trend of Wookiee-bashing even when the person bashing has probobly never used it or proved it wrong... Anyway It's bloody Science fantasy :p

Lets leave it at that :) I want to use Wookieepedia, you don't

Oh, I use it. But I wouldn't cite it as a source.

but I neither trust or distrust your ability to produce a list

What, you want a list? *sighs* I'll just name a couple of things:

1. At one point it cited Sullust as appearing in JK2, until the planet came up in a discussion on another forum, at which point I noticed the discrepancy. Another forum member--who does not have a Wookieepedia account, I believe--fixed it.

2. Once claimed that there was a "Ravager-class" of ship. It probably still does, even though this is complete fanon, and the subject has been brought up on the talk page more than once.

3. Sites Carth's rank as commander, even though that's complete fanon; and I've pointed this out on the talk page, and it hasn't changed since.

4. Claims that Corrun Falt doesn't show up if the player sides with Czerka, which isn't true.

5. The list of characters that are "essential to the plot of the game" for both KOTOR games has quite a few discrepancies (some are incorrectly named, others are left out).

6. Cites Queen Talia's last name as Kira, even though this is complete fanon.

And the list goes on. But back to Malak's jaw...

Wookieepedia's explanation:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Malak

Malak was a pale-skinned human who stood at an impressive two meters in height. Malak's head was adorned with blue tattoos. He later wore a large metal shield that covered his face from the nose down. The shield was a prosthesis made necessary by a ghastly lightsaber injury that completely severed his lower jaw,[1 - links to Databank article (below)] inflicted by none other than his Sith master, Darth Revan. A portion of this device allowed Malak to talk, but his voice now reverberated with a gruff electronic tone, creating a very disconcerting effect since his jaw prosthesis didn't move. When Malak spoke, the only hint of emotion came from his cruel, sunken eyes.

Databank's explanation:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/darthmalak/

Malak was a tall human who was horridly injured in a lightsaber duel. A swipe from a laser sword severed his lower jaw, and Malak was forced to wear a metallic jaw guard that hid his disfigurement from view. The guard also included a vocoder, through which Malak spoke with an eerie metallic tone.

Wookiee cites the Databank as its source here, and yet the Databank mentions nothing of Revan, does it? Hmm... ;)

If you note I have not commented on Malak or his Jaw in this thread? Hmmm ;)

I just jumped on a wookiee hater lol, I too dislike Wookieepedia's use of subjective info and Conjecture, but then I don't turn to it for my own opinion :) just names, years, authers etc.

(I best post on topic) Malak was a tall human who was horridly injured in a lightsaber duel. A swipe from a laser sword severed his lower jaw, and Malak was forced to wear a metallic jaw guard that hid his disfigurement from view. The guard also included a vocoder, through which Malak spoke with an eerie metallic tone.

ps: it cites these as its sources, not just the Databank then expanded on it...

* The New Essential Chronology

* Darth Malak in the Databank

* Manaan: Depths of History, Part 1 on Wizards.com (article)

* Darth Malak: An Expanded Universe Character From Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on Wizards.com (article)

* "Heritage of the Sith" - Star Wars Insider 88

* Star Wars Miniatures: Champions of the Force

* Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Handbook (First identified as Alek Squinquargesimus)

* Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force (Alek Squinquargesimus first identified as Darth Malak)

* Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide

and I'm guessing you don't own all these sources to prove Revans involvement was in fact conjecture? :) But then neither do I (well I own or have access to 4 of them :D)

...but then I don't turn to it for my own opinion :) just names, years, authers etc.

Yeah, same here. It gets those right (usually ;)).

(I best post on topic) Malak was a tall human who was horridly injured in a lightsaber duel. A swipe from a laser sword severed his lower jaw, and Malak was forced to wear a metallic jaw guard that hid his disfigurement from view. The guard also included a vocoder, through which Malak spoke with an eerie metallic tone.

:rofl: Well put.

I dunno what all the debate is about; clearly what happened was it was April fools day, and like all nice Sith Lords, Revan thought it would be funny to chop Malaks jaw of as he slept.

In all seriousness; you could do a good mod to the game with this... i.e. have a flashback in K1 of Revan having a fight with Malak, or in TSL have Kavar or the Exile, fight and injure Malak...

Perhaps the comics will hava answer.

Archived