Home

Malak's Jaw

Gurges-Ahter

The source it cites is the Databank article, which doesn't mention Revan. So the claim that it was Revan is unsourced.

Does it say that it was Revan? That's interesting...I didn't think those cards were actually canon, though.

There are two mentions of Revan slicing his jaw off.

"Though the Dark Lord's apprentice, at one point under Darth Revan's tutelage, Darth Malak's entire jaw was removed by a lightsaber strike from Revan himself.[4]"

"The shield was a prosthesis made necessary by a ghastly lightsaber injury that completely severed his lower jaw,[1] inflicted by none other than his Sith master, Darth Revan[4]."

Both of them, clicking the four, after Revan, drops the page down to citation number four which is Heritage of the Sith, not the databank.

And yeah....unfortunately, as a company that carries a Star Wars license, they get to have fun with canon. I believe the head honcho who decides whats canon and not made that [stupid] decision.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are two mentions of Revan slicing his jaw off.

"Though the Dark Lord's apprentice, at one point under Darth Revan's tutelage, Darth Malak's entire jaw was removed by a lightsaber strike from Revan himself.[4]"

"The shield was a prosthesis made necessary by a ghastly lightsaber injury that completely severed his lower jaw,[1] inflicted by none other than his Sith master, Darth Revan[4]."

Wasn't there last night. ;) Well, one of them wasn't; didn't see the other. http://starwars.wikia.com/index.php?title=Darth_Malak&oldid=1939302

So it was Revan. Seems rather odd to me. Put that together with the description from the Databank, and it sounds like Revan and Malak were sparring, Revan got the better of Malak, and there was a slight mishap. Or not. ;)

Wasn't there last night. ;) Well, one of them wasn't; didn't see the other. http://starwars.wikia.com/index.php?title=Darth_Malak&oldid=1939302

So it was Revan. Seems rather odd to me. Put that together with the description from the Databank, and it sounds like Revan and Malak were sparring, Revan got the better of Malak, and there was a slight mishap. Or not. ;)

If that's in deed the case, then the timing of Malak's ship firing on Revan's would make sense since the apprentice would be holding a grudge over losing his jaw at the hands of his master.

Well I was only putting my thought out there, since I don't remember it ever being openly discussed in either game how Malak lost his jaw. Besides Sith are known for betraying their masters, and what more reason to betray your master than already wanting revenge? If it is a lightsaber wound, it would have to be from someone else other than Revan (unless it took place during the "sparring" event) otherwise after the attack on Revan's ship, he was amnesiac and couldn't possibly know to go after Malak, much less know who he was. I'd say Malak lost his jaw between the events of the Jedi Attack on Revan's Flagship and KOTOR I, possibly a Jedi master tried taking him out?

Well I was only putting my thought out there, since I don't remember it ever being openly discussed in either game how Malak lost his jaw. Besides Sith are known for betraying their masters, and what more reason to betray your master than already wanting revenge?

Yeah, but there he was, just as he says on the game, taking control over the Empire and assuming the role of the Sith Master, just as every Sith do. Injures notwithstanding.

I once read a fanfic where Revan gets pissed at Malak for failing at something and just crushes all of his jaw bones with the force. It was wicked.

I like that explanation... it shows the dark side corruption of Revan more than we've been exposed to. We all know he was Dark Lord of the Sith, but never the extent of the corruption the war caused. That would be an awesome scene to witness.

Dear, dear, Corinth. Of course they use sabers with a coagulant crystal on it.

Probably what happened. :xp:

How the hell can you sever a jaw without inflicting any other kind of serious damage? A horizontal slash through his face would also have logically decapitated him or at least cut through most of his neck.

Logically, Star Wars doesn't always make sense, ;) Hey, thats Star Wars for ya!

I'm operating under the assumption from now on that Malak was a heavy user of Death Sticks and eventually got massive cancers all around his jaw. To teach him a lesson, Revan let it slowly kill him, then, as Malak lay dying, Revan bacta-dunked him, but they couldn't save his mouth.

Righton!

t3h figurine, WITH the text on the back of the box with it:

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_637172_hasbro_star_wars_expanded_universe_darth_reviews

Four thousand years ago, during the height of the Old Republic, a young Jedi fell to the dark side while battling Mandalorians in uncharted space. Renaming himself Darth Malak, he returned to plague the Republic he once protected. Malak's steel jaw is the result of a vicious lightsaber wound inflicted by his former Sith Master, Darth Revan. Darth Malak action figure comes with a lightsaber and an exclusive collector coin!

Allright, since I'm fearing a Jae Onasi lecture on canon (which will kill us all), If I may, I'd like to try and explain.

1. There are levels of canon. First of the MOVIES and statements by GEORGE LUCAS

2. The TV SERIES, Clone Wars cartoon, Real acted action series, etc.

3. CONTINUITY CANON - games, books, comics, toys 'n stuff

4. SECONDARY CANON - with several shady comics and old stuff...are they true or not?

5. Non-canon: stuff like Infinities...

Anyways, Malak is from level 3. But since nothing mentions anything about his jaw injury, we look around. The toy (and everything accompanying it), a lv 3 canon product, tells us something about it. So unless a 'stronger' or at least 'equal' (like the comic) proves otherwise, it is kept that way.

So, unless George himself tells us, or the TV series give a hint, it's waiting for another level 3 material to tell us. Untill then, the toy stays, since it's official :)

Nothing can be done about this...it's just the way it works...

The most used theory in Fanfiction, is that it happened after Malak bombed Telos. Revan aimed to capture worlds, while Malak didn't care. Note, that when Telos was bombed is not stated to the exact date. Revan might have done it as a warning to him.

• 5 weeks later...

He already changed it...a time traveling Darth Hoolahoop (strongest Sith ever, which he advised George lucas on) now killed him with an intergalactic light-fork. While time traveling, he also found a Delorean. The Volleybal incident didn't work, according to SS. He'll retcon it personally.

Anyways, at topic. I tried to 'settle' this, but apparantly, my post didn't work:

-If something is unknown in the SW Universe, ANY official material reporting on it counts.

-The games show us he lost his jaw.

-The toy description says he lost it in a duel with Revan.

No fuss, no problems. Untill another canon source provides more information about this, it stays this way. Accident? Deliberately? We'll know when the comics or something else tells us :)

Anyways, at topic. I tried to 'settle' this, but apparantly, my post didn't work:

-If something is unknown in the SW Universe, ANY official material reporting on it counts.

-The games show us he lost his jaw.

-The toy description says he lost it in a duel with Revan.

No fuss, no problems. Untill another canon source provides more information about this, it stays this way. Accident? Deliberately? We'll know when the comics or something else tells us :)

QFT.

I often disagree with some things that happen in SW, but it's not my choice so I must live with it, no amount of "Thats not Star Wars" will change that :)

Slightly off topic but in context: I'm sick of people trying to make out the EU is unofficial (not here, on a podcast I listen to) they always tut, and make snide comments when EU is mentioned, they think because GL hasn't personally come on tv and said "Han and Leia have children" or "the Sith and Republic are actually older than 1000 years" that it's not "true". they say things like the EU is convoluted and needs to be scrapped completely and started again with only movie characters and story lines, It makes me angry lol.

If an action figure card has been passed by Lucas licensing... even if the story on the back is crap... it's official

[/rant over]

@Topic; someone could always produce a mod that explains what happened ;)

I often disagree with some things that happen in SW, but it's not my choice so I must live with it, no amount of "Thats not Star Wars" will change that :)

True, but we can still have our 'vision' of the Star Wars universe.

Slightly off topic but in context: I'm sick of people trying to make out the EU is unofficial (not here, on a podcast I listen to) they always tut, and make snide comments when EU is mentioned, they think because GL hasn't personally come on tv and said "Han and Leia have children" or "the Sith and Republic are actually older than 1000 years" that it's not "true". they say things like the EU is convoluted and needs to be scrapped completely and started again with only movie characters and story lines, It makes me angry lol.

Depends on EU, I think alot of the Pre movie stuff is very good, I don't like and choose to ignore the after movies stuff as I think it very bad and unrealistic.

Archived