Home

Are you getting Grand Theft Auto in the 29th?

As you said, people are free to do what they want about it. I don't really see anything wrong about this. How many movies have already done that, after all?

And how many of those movies were of the type like this game is? I dont watch movies that glorify stuff like this. I see no point in them. If other people enjoy them, then thats fine with me, they have their rights just like I have mine. ;) Thats not saying I havent watched movies like the Godfather and Scarface (to name a few).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont watch movies that glorify stuff like this. I see no point in them.
Thats not saying I havent watched movies like the Godfather and Scarface (to name a few).

I smell a paradox here. 0_Q

But then you should be fine: You don't go along with it, just don't play and let other have their harmless fun. ;)

I suppose I should be careful with what I say here about that, some americans are real patriots.

I was trying to not step in "it" too much and have some nitwit bring out the race-card just to troll... but there are movies like these games that I just wont watch. The two I mentioned were well done, but they do glorify something that is "wrong with America"... and I didnt really care for them. Watching and liking are two different things. :p

And as I said, Im not for the banning of anything I find offensive, or boycotting. You dont like something, fine, dont buy it, dont support the creators. Thats how you do it, you dont run to the nanny-state and cry and whine and try to get some idiotic law passed that gets the company heavily fined or put out of business.

...have I mentioned Im a Libertarian?

>.>

<.<

And as I said, Im not for the banning of anything I find offensive, or boycotting. You dont like something, fine, dont buy it, dont support the creators. Thats how you do it, you dont run to the nanny-state and cry and whine and try to get some idiotic law passed that gets the company heavily fined or put out of business.

Then we're fine.

...have I mentioned Im a Libertarian?

>.>

<.<

Is there a need? :D

<_<

>_>

O_O

Um, shouldn't this discussion [describing something about it while visciously ranting removed by me] be moved to Kavar's Corner? The thread seems to have inflated dramatically from a thread filled with excitement and desicion-making into a full-blown debate about videogames (and media, in general) and whether these mediums should be burned on the stake or be placed as the head of an ancient guild of bakers known for making delicious croissants and hotpockets. :p

I dont like games that glorify stuff that is wrong with this country. Also, I heard (hearsay, dont take my word for it), theres cop-killing in this version... >.> Having several family members who have served in various services - as well as a good majority of them being military vertrans or currently serving - I find that rather offensive.

Yes, I know its just a game, but thats irrelevant.

I think that's a pretty stupid statment, no offence. The same could be sayed about like evry game "Ohh, you kill russian soldiers in this game, but my dad was a soldier and we live in Russia so now i think it's offensive". I can understand your opinion of glorifying violence and crime, but come on. How many game's dosen't exist when you shoot cops ? Would you care if you in a game shoot russian cops ? Or some other countrys cops that you do in very many FPS games. And just to give some examples from various game that is pretty diffrent, Solder of Fortune, Splinter Cell and *Insert random James Bond game* ^^

And just to clarify, im not russian. I just took russians since in GTA you are a man from russia :xp:

Nope, you might not know the Australian accent then, hmm?

Oh, sure, you mean the VA. I thought that, at some point, one of the marines would tell you he's an aussie. :D

And you're right, I'm pretty bad at identifying accents. Not that I would know, however, I played the portuguese version.

And just to clarify, im not russian. I just took russians since in GTA you are a man from russia :xp:
In the new game, Niko Bellic is from former Yugoslavia, not Russia (I've read that he's Serbian, but it's not specified in the game). If there was a Russian main character in any of the other games, I don't recall...

I just got the achievement for successfully evading a four star wanted rating. Fun fun. :D

He is Serbian.

Also, if you need the achievement where you need to stay alive on 6 stars for 5 minutes, get in a helicopter and go over the 2nd or 3rd island to get the 6 stars. If you have unlocked the 2nd island, then go to the 3rd island.

While waiting for it, go under all the bridges that pass over water for another achievement.

That's what I did to get that achievement, too. Then police choppers came and shot me out of the sky. Haven't got the one for flying under the bridges yet. I'm thinking I'm gonna save that until I unlock the third island, the New Jersey one.

Also, landing the helicopter is tricky.

Get 3 stars, head to a crane on the second island, get on top of it, and snipe the cop pilots. Their helicopters spin and hit the police cars on the ground. Also, if you jump off the crane, take a pin off of a grenade and it blows up as you hit the ground and die.

It's debauchery on a stick.
While GTA is not my normal type of game after reading the comments especially this glowing endorsement I decided to give it a try.

While most of the criticisms of the games content are valid, I will say this game is entirely against drinking and driving. Like Police killings, you can do it, but it is extremely difficult and IMO the game gives a realist vision as to what it is really like to drink and drive. This is an Adult game, I had no problem with my 12 year old cousin’s parents letting him play Mass Effect, but if they allow him to play GTA IV, I will have to bite my tongue. HARD!

I don’t have an opinion on the game yet. It looks great and the driving is a blast. So far, my most enjoyable activity is running from the police by doing minor things like stealing a car or running a tollbooth. Of the resent games I’ve played I’ll put it behind Mass Effect, BioShock, MOTB and even Neverwinter Night 2, but ahead of Assassins Creed and way, way ahead of Halo 3. It reminds me a lot of Oblivion; I guess it is the freedom and the lack of caring about the other NPC.

Oh and the sound track is the best. I can drive while listen to Queen at full volume without having to pay through the nose for gas.

Like Police killings, you can do it, but it is extremely difficult

True, plus the game doesn't reward you for it, not at all.

You loose your weapons and cash. So if you go on an continues rampage you loose. Game Over.

Its fun once in awhile to go nutters, but doesn't help. Its fun distraction, but not the point of the game.

Actually you loose all the time, well if you go for the 4 to 6 stars, you can shake of 1 or 2 stars. Though I've heard they altered the system completely on how to shake off the law and its actually got harder to do so.

Thats what I think most people don't see, that the killing is not what the game is about. Sure you got to kill to finish missions, but I can't think of any games, next to pong and tetris, where you don't have to kill anything.

Meh I'll get it when it comes out for the Amiga...

Just kidding. It seems like a fun game, but I really don't care for it. I've played the prior games, and really had fun, but honestly, the novelty has kinda worn off for me. Its like the Friday the 13th movies. It was cool the first few, but is becoming a joke now.

And how many of those movies were of the type like this game is? I dont watch movies that glorify stuff like this. I see no point in them. If other people enjoy them, then thats fine with me, they have their rights just like I have mine. ;) Thats not saying I havent watched movies like the Godfather and Scarface (to name a few).

If you get to really play the game and know the story this time around, you'll know it doesn't glorify criminals. They actually shows how pathetic and painful being a criminal is.

Archived