Home

What is a full tower?

Ghost Down

OK, I couldnt resist... Here's a full tower :D

eiffel.jpg

You obviously have some ill considered or poorly translated instructions!

Such a card can be used on any sized mainboard that has a 12V pci-express x16 slot, adequate dimensions to fit it in (depending on how 1/O slots are mounted), and of course, sufficient power.

I think what those instructions are alluding to is that youd need a full height slot to fit it in :) (as well as those other factors)

saying ''full tower'' etc is misleading, because you can get atx, micro-atx, u-atx, itx, flex-atx etc into any size case you like, but the essential bit is the 12V pci-ex slot, full height slot, and adequate power. eg. my shuttle smallform is designed so it can fit one dual slot card in it, and its far from a "full tower" ;)

There's been alot of "Black Edition" kit coming out recently. Whomever started that naming trend, must be hunted down and shot, immediately :(

Geeky PC hardware isn't a bottle of whiskey nor a Penthouse Magazine, how can it possibly have a variant that is so cool as to deserve the moniker "black edition" !!

:lol:

mtfbwya

Think it'll fit on the ASUS P5E motherboard?

Btw, that made alot more sense then the poorly translated manual :)

Ive seen an 8800GT strapped onto a mini-ITX car PC! The standard ATX P5E will fit it of course, as long as the above mentioned factors are satisfied.

to summarise:

*12V to PCI-Express x16 slot

*Adequate PSU wattage

*Enough physical space to actually fit the card

of course there are things like BIOS glitches that spit out new kit ebut it is increasingly rare.

mtfbwya

The wattage is probably the biggest issue with the newer cards, so make sure you have the required wattage or you'll have to upgrade again...which sucks...

wattage without 12V on the pci-express rail is just as useless, though most new mainbaords and PSUs are geared for it nowdays... still, there are people with older mainboards that end up needing to get a new PSU and a new mainbaord when they upgrade cards :D

But im sure Ghost would have researched throughly (or at aleast asked us) if he had any concerns before buying the card. :D

mtfbwya

Yeah, I made sure all the components are compatible with each other :)

of course you would have, a LFN techie would never had made such a noob mistake :D Luminuous beings are we.... ;)except maybe Ray, who is more machine now than man, twisted, and evil :D

mtfbwya

Archived