Home

Fatal Error. Straight answer please.

Arka Zenikk

I have been looking, and found nothing. I have...

Windows xp sp 2

ATI Radeon x1950 pro

Brand spanking new dvd drive(not the problem..)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 3600+(1900 ea i think)

+ new drivers.

I never got a shortcut when installing the game. And have tried running it through the splash screen from the disc, and through the "LaunchBFII.exe" and "BattlefrontII.exe" in both normal and compatability mode for both.

Basically when I click to run the program, I get two windows appearing in the task bar, one titled star wars battlefront 2 or something like that, and one titled "FATAL".

Please help..

-Arka

Running dual core usually means you have to shut one of them off when running SWBF2. The procedure can be found in the SWBF2 Tweakguide HERE. The SWBF2 TweakGuide also has other issues that would cause CTD errors, and refers to the SWBF1 TweakGuide at times. The engines are alike so you may find those answers helpful too.

But I think it's the dual core issue.

While thanks, but it didn't help.. I read through that tweak guide as well as most of the other ones it showed, including the ATI graphics card one, and nothing seemed to help. The game won't even start and i've tried the setting affinity for swbf2, but it doesn't help. The only other problem I believe has to do with Transform and Lighting, or TnL. Ever heard of that? and if so is it possible to fix?

-Arka

Yes i have it updated to the newest version. I also looked on the ati website for info on my graphics card and I believe it doesn't support tnl. It should though because it is top of the line and I run games like Oblivion and Counterstrike with it... Is there some kind of driver or patch I can get to Be able to use TnL?

Your problem puzzled me because I thought your card is TnL supported, so I went to the ATI site and support links and found what they had to say on the subject for another Game ("SpiderMan: The Movie" specifically).. But the hardware is the important issue.. not the game.

The error reported:

"You must have a TNL capable 3D card to play this game."

"Spider-Man: The Movie" requires a 3D graphics card that fully supports Hardware Transformation and Lighting (T&L).

With the exception of RADEON VE and RADEON 7000, all RADEON series products (RADEON, RADEON 7200, etc.) support this feature.

Products based on the RADEON VE/RADEON 7000 or earlier ATI graphics chipsets, such as the RAGE 128 PRO or RAGE 128, do not support Hardware T&L.

If you are using a graphics card that supports Hardware T&L, the warning message may occur for the following reasons:

-Desktop color depth is set too low

-Graphics hardware acceleration slider is not set to full.

If none of this works/helps.. I would try reinstalling the game.

k thanks for the help, but after reinstalling, checking the slider and playing around with all kinds of settings in the ati catalyst control center i havent been able to make it work. Any more ideas?? If not thats ok, atleast you tried :p

I wish I could be more help.. but if your card supports TnL and the game is giving you an error saying that your card needs to support TnL to run... The next step would be ATI support after reinstalling the game and it still doesn't work. It's only older cards that don't support TnL nowadays. ATI may have a support patch for your card... It wouldn't hurt to ask.

The only other thing I can think of is if your motherboard has integrated graphics and you really don't need the ATI card to run a monitor on your computer. The motherboard may be interfering with your graphics card. If your motherboard does support integrated graphics, i'd make sure it's giving all graphic tasks to your video card. You may have to go into your BIOS settings for that.

I'd also make sure that your ATI graphics card settings be set for "application controlled" for any settings that is applicable. I believe you can adjust the settings per game so it won't effect other games that work fine.

GL!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, after like 2 weeks of searching and tweaking, i fixed it. The problem was direcyx was not fully accelerated, To fix i went to Start/Run/enter "dxdiag"/switch to display tab/go to directx features section/make sure all are enabled and use the test function to see that they work! It fixed my game maybe it will fix yours, and thanks Triphammer

Archived