Home

College Board Appreciation Thread! (AP Testing)

RoxStar

Well, it's that time again. Yes, that wonderful time of the year when North American Students attempt to prove to professors that they should earn some credit for those fancy AP High School classes.

I myself am only taking two tests this year:

Friday I've got AP United States History

Next Wednesday I've got AP English Language

Good luck to everyone out there! :D

This Wednesday: AP Calculus BC

Friday: AP United States History

Next Wednesday: AP English Language

gaaahh I can't believe math is just 3 days from now...

:(

I need to get a 4 on the AP Calc BC exam to be admitted into Calculus III next year. This will be a toughie.

I just have three coming up: US History, English Lang, and Biology.

I also took SAT subject tests on Bio and US History yesterday. That's a bit of a misnomer according to the college board, by the way. US History? Mo' like Minority History.

:p

Yeah, good luck you guys - I took four tests last year as a senior, and got credit for three. I really didn't study hard because I guess I didn't care enough (and my senior year was the most stressful thing ever, so I didn't want to stress out more), but having credit for three classes totally is awesome.

I'm surprised you guys are doing AP English Language - we did AP Language Literature (apparently Language is a tough one, but I'd probably have been better at it), which is the one I did not get credit for (I got a 3, and virtually all colleges in my state but mine accept a 3 or above...OSU needs a 4 or above).

- PR-0927

I know for my school we take Language Junior year and Literature Senior year.

I guess I'd agree that Language is harder, but I think that's just because most people aren't used to studying language. I mean... we've done literature analysis since middle school but we never really analyzed language until this year, but when you actually start studying it and getting into it the subject isn't that bad at all.

Oh, I see. We just had a big old "AP English 12" our senior year which encompassed basically just Literature, and a bit of Language. We were free to take Language, but discouraged from it. I think one person may have taken it last year.

Nobody is taking the AP Government tests? I loved that class - I got a 4 on American Government and a 5 on Comparative. Political science-related stuff is easily my best subject. Shame I'm not majoring in it.

- PR-0927

Everytime I read a post about AP tests here, it makes me quiver a little bit more to know I signed up for AP US History next year. ~preps cianide pills~

If that's your only AP test, then you're weak.

I'm taking 4 next year. More than half my classes will be AP.

*hangs self*

AP US History as a class wasn't that bad, but we had a really good teacher who used to work in politics and was once a college professor, so he knows his stuff. That and he's really relaxed and laid back. The test will be hard, but I feel like he prepared us really well for it.

And yeah, lets see.. Next year I'm taking..

AP Government

AP English Literature

AP Calculus 3

AP Physics

I was going to take AP Spanish IV but psh... ¿Quién necesita español?

LOL, MrWally, I'm actually kind of jealous in a sick and sadistic way that you have AP Spanish IV. I love Spanish, and our school board only allowed for the standard four years of languages (starting in 9th grade, ending in 12th). Although, our Spanish IV class was supposed to be beyond-AP curriculum. And it was, for a while. Then it became busy work which made my Spanish worse, as our teacher sucked.

And you have AP Calculus 3? We just had AP Calculus AB and BC.

- PR-0927

Yeah, AP is much harder than college, hands down. Difference is, AP material assignments were less in quantity and usually due within one to three days. In college, the material is easier, but the quantity is massive, and the reading required for it is massive too, which is why deadlines for assignments are usually one to two weeks (which I tend to waste - I try to do the high school-style last-minute thing - not a good idea).

And taking post secondary classes in high school is really smart. I did some of that too. Didn't hurt that I got free tuition at the local college because my Dad works there.

- PR-0927

LOL, MrWally, I'm actually kind of jealous in a sick ans sadistic way that you have AP Spanish IV. I love Spanish, and our school board only allowed for the standard four years of languages (starting in 9th grade, ending in 12th). Although, our Spanish IV class was supposed to be beyond-AP curriculum. And it was, for a while. Then it became busy work which made my Spanish worse, as our teacher sucked.

And you have AP Calculus 3? We just had AP Calculus AB and BC.

- PR-0927

Yeah, there is an AP Spanish IV at my school and a Spanish V, actually, but I'm not sure if that's AP credit, although I would assume it is. Spanish is becoming a pretty large part of the curriculum where I live... a lot of elementary schools are actually teaching classes bi-lingually (is that a word...?) to kindergartners. But then, on the other hand, it might just be an increase in foreign language teaching in general, considering that we just included Chinese courses into the curriculum as well.

And yeah, we have a AP Calculus 3 that is taught by one of the BC teachers on campus through U of I. In fact, if you're a super genius and took Calculus 3 as a junior you can take the next level for college credit... I believe it's called linear algebra or something like that... but I only know of two students who have gone that far.

and @ jmac, I would probably prefer taking classes outside of school as well, except that I do several extracurricular activities and there's no way I'd be able to fit everything into my schedule... that and I go to a pretty good school with a nice AP program.

Archived