Home

Two blades or double-bladed?

Kilppari

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you'll suffer a penalty from duel wielding, and upgrading two individual sabers will negate that more then a single double bladed saber can. :)

Plus, if you want to go cool, two sabers is the way, even Kavar does it! :D

Two lightsabers (one regular and one short) are more effective, since you can upgrade them individually.

I used to think that too. But, recently, I've realized that, if you got two particularly powerful crystals, wouldn't it be better to use them on your currently using sabers (double-bladed) instead of using those on one of the sabers and using some other crystal, that's more mediocre on the other blade? (Single-bladed)

I used to think that too. But, recently, I've realized that, if you got two particularly powerful crystals, wouldn't it be better to use them on your currently using sabers (double-bladed) instead of using those on one of the sabers and using some other crystal, that's more mediocre on the other blade? (Single-bladed)

I prefer to get 4 particularly powerful crystals and use 2 on each saber.

Having two sabers means you get twice the upgrades. ;) Especially in K2, since you can upgrade the lightsaber itself in addition to the crystals.

Having two sabers means you get twice the upgrades. ;) Especially in K2, since you can upgrade the lightsaber itself in addition to the crystals.

[quote name=

Gurges-Ahter]I prefer to get 4 particularly powerful crystals and use 2 on each saber.

Yes, I'm well aware you don't get twice the upgrades on one saber. But let's suppose you have two powerful crystals and the others are crap. Isn't it better to use the two crystals on one lightsaber (double-bladed) instead of using a good one and a fairly crappy other? (One on each hand)

Depends on what kind of crystal we're talking about. If it does additional damage or attack, then it would be better on a double-bladed. If it's just an attribute booster, then it doesn't matter.

And it's better to stick with a single saber until late in the game, when your base attack is high enough and when you've built up the dual weapon feats, and by then odds are you'll have a few decent crystals anyway. And in K2, the lightsaber hilt bonuses are far better than the crystal bonuses anyway.

And it's better to stick with a single saber until late in the game, when your base attack is high enough and when you've built up the dual weapon feats, and by then odds are you'll have a few decent crystals anyway.

Yes, I agree with that. No way I go double-bladed before achieving mastery on the dual weapons feat.

Depends on what kind of crystal we're talking about. If it does additional damage or attack, then it would be better on a double-bladed. If it's just an attribute booster, then it doesn't matter.

And it's better to stick with a single saber until late in the game, when your base attack is high enough and when you've built up the dual weapon feats, and by then odds are you'll have a few decent crystals anyway. And in K2, the lightsaber hilt bonuses are far better than the crystal bonuses anyway.

I think you can easily build up the dual weapon feats before you get a lightsaber. You usually have to be on the first planet after Telos, and would be about level 13 or so. By then even a Consular could have built up his dual weapon feats.

That's true only for the emitter ;) Parts which increases attack and damage only affect one blade. Well, if you get some particular powerful stat-increasing crystals such as Kaliburr and Ankkares Sappihere, Jar'kai is the way to go.

The biggest advantage of double-blade in K2 is that for every strength modifier you get 1.5 damage on your mainhand. For people whose strength is high, actually double-blade will deal very serious damage to your opponent.

I myself prefer two sword, guns, or even sabers, except for Mandalore, HK-47, and Kreia. But when I go to two sabers, on my main character, I just use two sabers, not the 4 swords I use, as there aren't all that many droids left to kill. Until close to Malachor. Once I get there, I switch out the saber that does a lot of blaster reflecting, to one that does about the same damage as my main saber. The crystals add some to damage, but so does the emitters, lens, and power cell. I go for additional critical damage when I am working up a saber. (double-bladed sabers make good components, when you need them.)

Two blades provides for more better effectiveness in battle, IE, about 1080* of defense/attack coverage, while a doubleblade provides about 720* of defense/attack coverage. Doubleblade provides for excellent assaults, but poor defense, while two blades provides for excellent defense and combat adaptability. That's why I choose two lightsabers instead of a doubleblade.

Not necessarily. First of all, I'm not sure where you got the 1080 and 720 numbers. If you think you can block behind you with any kind of saber style, that would be a mistake--our anatomy doesn't allow us to do that. You also always want to keep your enemy in front of you, not to your side or back.

Double blade can defend as well as attack--you simply block with the blade. Having actually fought with both 1 and 2 rapiers....two blade style isn't about defense at all, it's all about attack, though you can use one or both blades to block an incoming attack. Your goal in that style is to get the guy distracted or his blade pulled off to one side with one of your blades and then nail him with the other blade.

I always carry 2 sabers in Kotor and TSL. Why? With a single blade you get 3 upgrades (3 crystals or 2 components and a crystal). With double-blade you get 3 upgrades. When you have 2 single blades, that means you have 6 upgrades--an advantage if you want something in your off hand for blaster bolt deflection or attribute bonuses, etc.

When ever I played as revan, I used two light sabers. He was too much of a bad *** to use one. When I played as the exile, I one single blade light saber (more traditional jedi look).

Well, surely Palpatine is more of a bad *** than Revan...

and Bastila is surely so nice that she could not use only one blade...

Thats what I usually do, partly because I can't find a second saber. :xp: I also noticed that you have to build the hilt upgrades yourself, and that usually falls on Bao-Dur or Kreia to do that. Why are the one-handed people good at making stuff?

• 2 weeks later...
Thats what I usually do, partly because I can't find a second saber. :xp:

Yeah, that too. :D Honestly, sometimes it feels like I never get a short saber, while other times they're the only ones I'll get! Sometimes I have to resort to using an Echani vibroblade, if I'm lucky enough to have picked one up (or after I've modded it into normal gameplay :D). Really nice weapon; stronger than a lightsaber when upgraded (assuming the lightsaber itself isn't upgraded ;)), and it has a pretty good critical threat range.

I also noticed that you have to build the hilt upgrades yourself, and that usually falls on Bao-Dur or Kreia to do that. Why are the one-handed people good at making stuff?

Hey, what about T3? He has no hands. :p I usually have them make some of the upgrades (Kreia is my Treat Injury, Stealth, and Awareness slave, while Bao-dur takes care of Repair, Demolitions, and Security), but I also like to have my Exile have as many skill points as possible in most areas (I ignore TA and Stealth after getting a few points in each...more than I probably need), because the Exile does end up alone on more than one situation, and Obsidian wasn't as stingy as BioWare was with workbenches in such situations. :p While slogging through the Jekk'Jekk Tarr, I usually gain one or two levels (I'm estimating here), and usually I'm able to reach the next upgrade level once I find the workbench. More helpful to have them sooner, in the middle of a fight, rather than have the two stooges do it later. Maybe I'm just impatient. :D

Archived