Home

(DF:2-Jedi Knight) display corruption

>origami<

Hi. I've just reinstalled the game on Vista SP1 with the unofficial 1.01 patch (the only way I could get it to run) and the game runs.

However in Direct 3D mode when the level commences I get a weird ghosting pixellated effect on the screen. Anything I look at on the screen ghosts and within seconds of moving the mouse around you cannot see anything on the screen except pixellated garbage.

I'm tried running the game in a variety of compatibility modes with Visual Themes and Desktop Composition disabled but to no avail.

My videocard is an ATI HD2600XT and I'm using the latest (8.4) Catalyst Drivers.

Software mode runs fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I resized the image to 1024X768. Pic was taken at 1280X1024.

After installing Mysteries of the Sith I experienced exactly the same sort of ghosting/corruption in the image.

Maybe it's the Catalyst drivers? Either that or there could be some sort of tweak I could try in ATI Tray Tools. I've already tried disabling some Tiling options in Ati Trays advanced tweaking options but seeing as I don't know if this will help the situation it's sort of a stab in the dark..

I am thinking that is a driver problem, Have you tried doing different resolutions?

Also try disabling anti-aliasing.

Also I would check to make sure you have the latest drivers if those by some chance are out of date... who knows

also another question what do you mean by unofficial patch?

do you mean the one from http://www.jkhub.net ?

or the 1.01 patch from lucasarts

Tried various resolutions. 640X480, 1024X768, 1280X1024.

Anti-aliasing is disabled in Catalyst Control Centre.

Using latest Catalyst Drivers 8.4. I also tried rolling back to 7.10's to no avail.

I'm using the unofficial jkhub patch.

I may try rolling back to an even older driver set as a last resort, performing a clean uninstall of the existing drivers.

It's got me stumped. I guess most people are running this on an NVidia card.

:-(

Thanks for trying to assist me with my problem JKLE_Cougar.

:-)

*UPDATE*

Crisis averted!

I got the little darling working.

After doing a clean uninstall of the 8.4 catalyst drivers I thought "Screw it!" I'll try and install the 7.4 drivers even though my videocard isn't supported by them.

Big surprise, it didn't work.

Then in despair I tried Windows Update and it downloaded a bizarrely small sized 7 meg driver update for my HD2600XT. The drivers install followed by the mandatory restart.

VIOLA!! The sucker now runs without a hitch in D-3D mode.

A convoluted (not to mention blind-luck!) approach to find a solution but all well that ends well.

Cheers for the help once again JKE_Cougar.

*Runs off to get lost in these awesome games all over again*

I have this exact same problem, but unfortunately I can't seem to replicate the fix you so happily stumbled upon. I'm using a 2600 as well, and I really want to get this corrected so that I can play the game as soon as possible. Can you find out which update that was which allowed you to play?

@JKLE_Cougar - thanks for your assistance and offer of getting my ass handed to me in an online game. As soon as I get off ISDN and get Broadband I'll be happy to have a game.

@hubrisincarnate - I don't really know what the driver package is that I auto-downloaded from Windows Update. The best thing to do would be a clean uninstall of your existing Catalyst Drivers. Read this excellent article on how to properly install and uninstall ATI drivers. http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Myself after uninstalling videocard drivers I always reboot into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner, reboot into normal mode and then run Regsupreme. This way I can be confident that all traces of the previous driver package have been removed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anything above the 2*** series won't play JK properly. :S

I'm surprised that origami got it to work, I played forever with my 3870 (now returned for an 8800GT) and I never got it to work.

Play it now though, Nvidia seems to have things working. (It seems the AGP versions of 2*** series work, not sure though.)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
and useless posts are nauthy too

no one is moving a finger, no wonder this was and never will be fixed

I've complained, beckoned, and begged so much about this ATI HD Radeon series graphics card bug glitch issue. LucasArts has been notified. ATI / AMD has been notified.

They don't care.

It is really sad, pathetic, and shameful too. And no big journalistic game / hardware news coverage online web sites seem to want to make it known either.

Reminder: other LucasArts PC games are affected by this as well:

X-Wing Alliance

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter + Balance of Power

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

Shadows of the Empire

• 2 weeks later...
I've complained, beckoned, and begged so much about this ATI HD Radeon series graphics card bug glitch issue. LucasArts has been notified. ATI / AMD has been notified.

They don't care.

It is really sad, pathetic, and shameful too. And no big journalistic game / hardware news coverage online web sites seem to want to make it known either.

Reminder: other LucasArts PC games are affected by this as well:

X-Wing Alliance

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter + Balance of Power

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

Shadows of the Empire

This is f***ing sad

If I knew that I'd bought a nvidia instead

Rot in hell ATI shi1heads :-(

• 6 months later...
There's an hacked ddraw.dll around that solves this issue

EDIT: uh Phirenice posted it before me. Take it from there. And anyone having the "please insert CD-Rom" problem even if they have the original one, see my fix at http://lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2706049&postcount=27

Weirdly that hacked ddraw.dll has stopped working.. I saved it in the JK.exe directory, started the game with 3D acceleration and it worked fine, but when I quit the game and started it up again, I had the same old problem :confused:

I tried re-downloading the ddraw.dll file and replacing the original, but it has not helped :( Has this happened to anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there! I've found a fix that works with my ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 ;)

Here it is: http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=47&section=downloads

Hope this helps you too! Time to go and lightsabre some innocent civilians ;)

Thank the Force and the JK / MotS JK Hub Community as a Whole! Finally a fix after all these years of video card acceleration frustration. It works!

Archived