Home

Lucas Arts Rogue book!

Look what appeared on Cartoon Brew today under the usual blah blahing about Pixar:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/lucas_bolt_b.jpg

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/books/upcoming-chronicle-books#comment-79909

Must get! I wonder how many original pieces of art it will have in there? I see a large Defenders of Dynatron city mural alongside the usual suspects. Wonder if Mr. Purcell painted that?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping the 50 dollar price tag as well as the previews indicate that this book will be less about the "secret history" and more about the art that went into the games. I think Mojo is doing a much better job of it of course, but I'd love to see some full color art printed on nice glossy stock. Especially the earlier work and how it looked before it became pixelized. (Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle backgrounds especially!)

Hmmm, Mike Levine has left an interesting message over at Cartoon Brew

I am also looking forward to the Lucas book - I worked there from 90-97, but KNOW THIS - they didnt interview and basically blew off the art department for this book. didnt talk to hardly anyone for it, only to get some art. Foolish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I dont know if you'll ever see one full image on the cover at any given point, due to its lenticular nature.

I'd totally missed that it was lenticular, I thought they were alternative covers. Where does it say this?

Anyhow, I really disliked it (them, whatever) when I first saw it but it has grown on me. It could definitely be better, but it doesn't churn my stomach anymore.

I dont know if you'll ever see one full image on the cover at any given point, due to its lenticular nature. I don't think its that bad -- looks like most of Chronicle Books' covers, bright and poppy.

as a graphics artist - who's work on mojo and telltale i really admire - i think you've been too easily swayed by this terribly simple and appalling cover design... with the history and art at disposal, LucasArts could've gone with a far better design, suitable for such a art book..

I dunno, it's grown on me now that I know that it's one of those shiny covers -- and you have to think about how it stands out on the shelves. It's the sort of cover that would catch my eye and make me look inside. It's not the nicest cover in the world, but it's probably a good sales technique.

• 3 weeks later...
as a graphics artist - who's work on mojo and telltale i really admire - i think you've been too easily swayed by this terribly simple and appalling cover design... with the history and art at disposal, LucasArts could've gone with a far better design, suitable for such a art book..

Its definitely not the cover I would have designed in my head, and even with this design it's fair to say I would have picked a Guybrush that was from a Monkey Island other than the fourth one, but I don't think the design is offensive. They could have done something more subtle for sure, but whatever, it's a big fun poppy coffee table book, like all the Chronicle Books compilations. It's infinitely cleaner and more professional than that soundtrack album LucasArts put out for the 20th anniversary, for instance. In all honesty I wouldn't have been surprised to see the book to go more in that direction, so maybe the book's look fully beating my expectations is why wasn't beating up on it like everyone else :p You might not like the exact creative choices someone made when putting it together, but it looks like it was designed by a professional, which is more than you can expect out of most non-100% Star Wars merchandise from LEC these days!

What would you have preferred? Some faux leatherbound pirate tome like the Lord of the Rings DVDs? Something cheezy like the archaeology themed LucasArts Archives compilation? I don't think there's really a solid unified aesthetic that screams "LucasArts" actoss its entire existence. They have their purple color scheme, but it is pretty understated and wouldn't catch an eye on a bookshelf.

I would have loved it if they had totally dorked out, for instance, and gone with one of those hideous wire-brush paint splatter patterns they used to use as the background art of their game boxes through the 80s and early 90s, but while that would have amused the 30 fans worldwide who would get the reference, and would be a great callback to the LEC cover-art design aesthetic, it would be fairly unappealing.

I'm not trying to say that I'm in love with this book cover or something -- my feelings one way or the other on the cover actually take up far less space in my mind than this post, even -- but seeing a bunch of people sit and moan about how its ass when its actually just a decent looking coffee table book cover, seems goofy.

Archived