Home

extracting Desktop Adventures graphics

Shmargin

OK, I just used the Yoda Stories tool found here;

http://gamefileformats.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/list.cgi?cat=LucasArts

To extract all the images from the Indy Jones Desktop Adventures Demo. It's almost certain to work for the full game too.

Unfortunately the palate info seems off in small groups of pixels on many of the sprites, but it may not occur in the full game, or you may be able to manually correct it using a pixel editor / photoshop etc.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Awesome man, thanks.

I got the pixel discoloration with the full game also, and it didnt extract all the files, but figured out a simple workaround.

Yoda Stories data file is "yodesk.dta" and Indiana Jones desktop Adventures, is "desktop.daw" but I just changed the extension to ".dta" and ran the program on it, and it extracted all the files, with perfect color.

Thanks for the help! Now if I stay interested long enough to finish my idea, I might end up with something interesting.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, more of them came out this time, but halfway through I start getting the discoloration again...hmmm....Almost seems like it kind of randomly starts breaking as it goes through.

I'll keep messing with it, this program deffinately helps though, thanks again.

• 4 months later...

First of all: I am lame. Please, don't laugh at me too much.

So, I have all those 32x32 bitmaps. Presumably I will modify some of those. So, my super-lame questions are:

- Can\how can I put them back to the basic yodesk.dta file?

- Is there any chance to edit dialoglines in Yoda Stories?

- Are there other tools to modify desktop adventure games?

You should be able to insert files back in with a hex editor if you know they're offsets in the dta.

Open the bitmap and look at the header. Search for that in the dta and overwrite it if it takes up the same amount of bytes or fewer.

Dialog lines might be in another file or the same one. Try searching for a certain ASCII string seen in dialogue to see if it finds anything.

Archived