Home

Soldier Uses Quran for Target Practice

*Don*

CNN LINK

The soldier was a sniper and used the Islamic sacred book as target practice.

The man was relieved of his duties, reassigned, and was forced to write a formal letter of apology.

Today, the Iraq Islamic Party called the millitary's actions unacceptable and asked for harsher punishment.

What are your thoughts on how this matter should be dealt? Clearly, it is a sensitive subject since the Quran was involved. With that in mind, how should the punishment be carried out?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, while I believe in a perfect world this should be alright, in this imperfect one it's plain stupid. So yes, upp the punishment, while it might not do much good for the individual, in this case the deterrent for other soldiers is more important. Winning the hearts and minds is hard enough without needless provocation.

Maybe I skimmed too quickly, but what punishment do they think he really deserves (they might not be happy with what the "severest punishment" is under UCMJ). Frankly, I think they've got a right to bitch, but hope the military doesn't allow itself to be pushed around just to soothe ruffled feathers.

CNN LINK

The soldier was a sniper and used the Islamic sacred book as target practice.

The man was relieved of his duties, reassigned, and was forced to write a formal letter of apology.

Today, the Iraq Islamic Party called the millitary's actions unacceptable and asked for harsher punishment.

What are your thoughts on how this matter should be dealt? Clearly, it is a sensitive subject since the Quran was involved. With that in mind, how should the punishment be carried out?

It was a very stupid thing to do, but am I the only one who thinks; he's a sniper and shoots people for a living, surely the shooting of a person should create a bigger stir than shooting a book?

No one would've have cared if it had been any other book
Fixed.

Let's face it; the military needs to capitulate as quickly as possible before muslims start demonstrating how "peaceful" islam is by issuing fatwas and/or rioting in the streets.

Fixed.

Let's face it; the military needs to capitulate as quickly as possible before muslims start demonstrating how "peaceful" islam is by issuing fatwas and/or rioting in the streets.

Having gone in, I think there is responsility on our part (UK and US) to leave the country in a better state than it was and to leave responsibly. However given all the massive errors, it may be beyond saving in that regard.

Depends on what you mean by capitulate.

Wonders if Achilles is remotely related to the late Neville Chamberlain.

I fail to see the connection, between accuraltly assessing a battlefront, and trying to 'appease' a tyrant. I do not think the future road in Iraq is anything but blood stained for the forseeable future.

Although I agree that the soldier is very much within his rights to shoot a Quran, given his location, I get the sinking feeling that this will result in riots/bombings.

In the long run, the sniper's actions have definitely created a small roadblock for the United States.

For that reason, I feel that there should be harsher consequences.

As Achilles said before, its really in America's best interests to appease the Iraqis so that they don't start "demonstrating".

Having gone in, I think there is responsility on our part (UK and US) to leave the country in a better state than it was and to leave responsibly. However given all the massive errors, it may be beyond saving in that regard.
I was referring to the incident. I can only assume that you inferred that I was referring to our occupation of Iraq in general.

...and it sarcasm anyway :)

In the long run, the sniper's actions have definitely created a small roadblock for the United States.
Perhaps. I say that we opened that door when we started throwing copies on the ground in Gitmo, but I suppose that each new incident might be a new barrier. *shrugs*

For that reason, I feel that there should be harsher consequences.
Because he shot a book? Really? I think [edit]the punishment that he received[/edit] was too much.

I wonder if the soldiers are under orders not to disrespect the Koran or the Islamic religion. I know during the first Gulf war an Army Division went to great lengths not to do either by ordering the soldiers not to do either.

If the soldiers are not under such orders then our military leaders are complete morons and their stupidly is jeopardizing all our troops over there.

I fail to see the connection, between accuraltly assessing a battlefront, and trying to 'appease' a tyrant. I do not think the future road in Iraq is anything but blood stained for the forseeable future.

Frankly, the military shouldn't allow itself to be manipulated by public opinion in the ME to exact a "severe punishment" just b/c someone(s) feels offended. If the Sgt is to be punished it should only be within the noraml confines of the UCMJ. Caving in to muslim extremists out of fear is no better than merely allowing them to make all your decisions for you. Pull him out and rap him on the knuckles for stupidity.

It may have been intolerant to Muslim beleifs for him to do so, but it's just a book... I bet they've got plenty of extra Qurans... Although he should apologize, but shooting some book shouldn't be punishable by maximum military punishment (Isn't that court martial?)

It may have been intolerant to Muslim beleifs for him to do so, but it's just a book... I bet they've got plenty of extra Qurans... Although he should apologize, but shooting some book shouldn't be punishable by maximum military punishment (Isn't that court martial?)

No, a court martial is actually to determine the punishments soldiers get. ;)

Because he shot a book? Really?

Well, the thing is it was the act of shooting it. It most likely will have some repercussions. You have to be able to see from a different point of view. The people that we are battling in the Middle East are Muslims. How do you think that they would react to this?

Well, the thing is it was the act of shooting it. It most likely will have some repercussions. You have to be able to see from a different point of view. The people that we are battling in the Middle East are Muslims. How do you think that they would react to this?
As per my first post, I imagine that they would react exactly the same way they did when that Danish newspaper published the cartoon about muhammed. Or when that British teacher named the class teddy bear muhammed. Or when the way that guy did when he stabbed that Scandinavian film maker on the street in broad daylight for making a film about islam. Et cetera, et cetera.

I understand what the argument is, I just don't get how it is that we live in a world where grown-ups participate in this kind of thinking. It's completely ridiculous that someone is being punished over a book. And the fact that we're rolling over and playing along with this silliness just helps to legitimize the whole thing.

^

That is true Achilles. I guess that we will just have to wait and see what is goiong to happen. It is silly; however, I think that this soldier should have used better judgement. Potentially, this soldier just signed the death warrant for fellow armed servicemen in the Middle East. Unfortuanalely.

Potentially, this soldier just signed the death warrant for fellow armed servicemen in the Middle East.
How is this different than the reported violations of the quran that go back to 2005 (the aforementioned throwing and kicking that took place at Gitmo)? It's not as though this is the first time something like this happened.

How is this different than the reported violations of the quran that go back to 2005 (the aforementioned throwing and kicking that took place at Gitmo)? It's not as though this is the first time something like this happened.

I am sure that incidents like this have happened before. It wouldn't surprise me at all. What I am trying to say is that the soldier should have thought before he acted.

What I am trying to say is that the soldier should have thought before he acted.
Thought about what? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he knew what he was doing (which means that, by definition, he had thought about it before he acted).

Nothing. He should not be punished. Pulled out of the Middle-East, yes, but this kind of activity is protected by Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech. It was stupid, but it was well within his rights as an American citizen.

Absolutely. He was a fool for doing something like this, since it's such a delicate topic and all, but I don't think his livelihood should have been taken from him.

_EW_

I'm about to be higly controversial... But I think its time many Muslims grew up, and realised that a book is not as important as the lives of people, I think it time they realised that if Allah is so powerful he can quite easily smite me himself, and doesn't need any help in that endevour. I think that while the Danish Cartoons were distasteful and disrespectful, the reaction from many proved them to be correct.

I think however this soldier should be coutmarshalled for putting the lives of his fellow soldiers at risk, however I think we need to recognize most soldiers are not the sharpest knife in the draw; and that is certainly the case with our friend who caused this thread.

Archived