Home

Soldier Uses Quran for Target Practice

*Don*

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you are saying that a soldier that knowing put other soldiers at risk is not violating his MOS? Are you also saying you cannot use personal data for someone to determine if they have the ability to make sound decisions? So what someone do in their personal life has no barring on their job or their ability to do that job?

I’ll just say with the decision making ability he displayed in shooting the Quran and like you said then letting it get out that he shot the Quran, I do not want him looking through a scope at me. I might be answering a call on my cell phone and he decides I’m pulling out a gun. Really wouldn’t feel safe if I was hold a Quran.

Rogue Nine, their nature doesn't matter. Their book says "Kill the enemy." They call themselves a religion of peace. They are mutually exclusive. Killing the enemy is not peaceful.

Why does it matter that he's shooting the Qur'an, Mimartin? I mean, aside from the fact that the overly sensitive Muslims might get a sniffle? I find it highly unlikely this is actually going to make a difference. Do you REALLY think the highly violent ones really care what we do to their Holy Book? They're doing their best to kill us anyway. What're they going to do, kill us harder?

How so? All I'm saying is that what the Muslims are saying is contradicted by their own Holy Book.

Many christians and christian sects claim that Christianity is a religion of peace, or a peaceful religion. Honestly I think half the things written about Jesus in the Bible are a load that somebody 300 years later thought would be cool of him to be.

Replace "Muslims" with "Christians" and all your statements still apply.

I'm pretty sure I can find a dozen statements by the last five Popes, at least, claiming the peaceful nature of Christ's message.

Corinthian, I find your generalisations about Christianity insulting, and your attitude hardly fits with the letters you appear to have taken for your name. I.13 springs to mind as an excerpt you would do well to revise.

I'm Protestant. What Popes say doesn't matter to me.

Darth, I really frankly don't care what you find insulting about what I say. I'm just speaking the truth - I take it you've never read the Book of Revelation?

And in any case, what Christianity does or does not state doesn't matter. The fact remains that the Muslim standby of it being a 'Religion of Peace' is not backed up by the Qur'an.

So you are saying that a soldier that knowing put other soldiers at risk is not violating his MOS? Are you also saying you cannot use personal data for someone to determine if they have the ability to make sound decisions? So what someone do in their personal life has no barring on their job or their ability to do that job?

I’ll just say with the decision making ability he displayed in shooting the Quran and like you said then letting it get out that he shot the Quran, I do not want him looking through a scope at me. I might be answering a call on my cell phone and he decides I’m pulling out a gun. Really wouldn’t feel safe if I was hold a Quran.

You're making a good argument for him not being perfect, but little else. How would you like it if people looked at you and took one incident in your life and dismissed you as utterrly unreliable and incompetent. You appear to be doing just that.

I'm Protestant. What Popes say doesn't matter to me.

I'm not - it matters to me. Don't act as though your opinion is universal law.

Darth, I really frankly don't care what you find insulting about what I say. I'm just speaking the truth - I take it you've never read the Book of Revelation?

From beginning to end.

I take it you've never read the Gospel of Matthew?

And in any case, what Christianity does or does not state doesn't matter. The fact remains that the Muslim standby of it being a 'Religion of Peace' is not backed up by the Qur'an.

Have you read it? In Arabic? And the Hadith? And the commmentaries of the luminaries of each of the six major branches?

I thought not.

I'm just speaking the truth-

Now, that's just insulting in of itself. To blatantly insult another religion, and then go and proclaim your words as the truth? That's just ignorant, whether you want to admit it or not. Everyone has their own interpretation of the truth. Who are you to say what people should believe?

As for Muslims standing by the fact that Islam is a religion of peace, that's their belief, not yours. Perhaps they've found some solace in their religion, or maybe it has been the 'rock' of their life. You wouldn't know unless you have lived their lives.

I also have friends, devout Christians, no less, that believe that Christianity can do no wrong. I'll try to show them the facts, what has actually happened, but the final decision is theirs. How is that any different than the Muslims claiming their religion is one of piece?

I feel a bit better getting that off of my chest.

You're making a good argument for him not being perfect, but little else. How would you like it if people looked at you and took one incident in your life and dismissed you as utterrly unreliable and incompetent. You appear to be doing just that.

I am not making the argument for perfection at all. You are the one saying I am making that argument. I am saying that a sniper MOS is to support his/her fellow troops on the ground. The sniper can be the difference between life and death for our service men and women. The sniper job is to protect our service people’s lives through killing the enemy. The sniper MOS is not to put our troops in more unnecessary danger by doing something juvenilely stupid. If the sniper is so immature to do something that would cause a reaction in the Muslim community putting not only himself but also other Americans at risk, then he has no business being a sniper in the U.S. Army. I’m not saying throw him out of the service, I’m saying give him a job assignment where his decision making process can not put other soldiers in harms way.

I'm getting tired of this.

"Religion of Peace" or "Kill the Enemy". Which one is true? They are mutually exclusive.

Also, Insidious, what the hell are you talking about?

This sounds like Doublethink. Perhaps you should try examining it from their point of view, instead of accusing Islam. Perhaps sustaining the Peace requires the killing of others? I ask you to look at this argument from the opposite point of view, consider their thoughts, and then respond.

Pertaining to the original topic, the Soldier should have not done that, but I have a feeling that it will be forgotten fairly soon.

I am not making the argument for perfection at all. You are the one saying I am making that argument. I am saying that a sniper MOS is to support his/her fellow troops on the ground. The sniper can be the difference between life and death for our service men and women. The sniper job is to protect our service people’s lives through killing the enemy. The sniper MOS is not to put our troops in more unnecessary danger by doing something juvenilely stupid. If the sniper is so immature to do something that would cause a reaction in the Muslim community putting not only himself but also other Americans at risk, then he has no business being a sniper in the U.S. Army. I’m not saying throw him out of the service, I’m saying give him a job assignment where his decision making process can not put other soldiers in harms way.

First, never said you were intentionally trying to "make the argument", only observed that that's what you were doing. So, if a sniper got busted for being intoxicated off duty in Iraq or got in a tussle with a local, then he's now incompetent in his MOS? Both things, if made public, would sully the image of American troops and demonstrate a sort of contempt for the locals, thus "putting his comrades in danger". Maybe you really mean being in Iraq at this time, as the same could be said of any trooper that does something stuipid in theatre. And really, saying that shooting a Quran means he's secretly a homicidal derelict that would shoot you b/c you've a copy of that book in your hand, is fairly ludicrous. Now, had he shot the Quran out of a local's hands during prayer....

So, if a sniper got busted for being intoxicated off duty in Iraq or got in a tussle with a local, then he's now incompetent in his MOS?
Not the same thing, at all. While use of alcohol may upset some of the Muslim faith, it is not the same a disrespecting their holy book. Besides if Iraq were safe enough for an American soldier to go into a local establishment and get drunk this entire thread would be moot.

Archived