Home

Force Unleashed Platforms.

Greetings,

I read over the latest article by Cameron Suey as to why Force Unleashed is NOT going to be released for PC. It''s very puzzling and makes a fan such as myself very angry, Reasons:

1) The Jedi Knight series started out on PC. Force Unleashed will probably be one of the best Star Wars titles ever released. Stupid move to leave out the original PC fan base.

2) Suey: "The PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game. But someone with a low-end PC would have a watered down experience, they would have to turn all the settings down and it wouldn’t be the same game."

-This statement is COMPLETELY preposterous. The PC has the power to unlock the game's FULL POTENTIAL. You can go out and buy a high-end video card like the Geforce 8800 GT or GTS 512mb for less than $200. I can't see this game being anymore demanding than games such as Crysis, and these cards run Crysis superbly. I'd also like to mention that it is coming out for DS & N-Gage. These low-end handheld systems don't even support the technologies of TFU, nor do they come close to comparing to even a mid-range PC. So, saying PC users would have a "watered down experience" is complete non-sense.

3) Suey: "That said we’re definitely not out of the PC market. It’s just with our choice for this game, with the known quantity for the consoles, and every console is the same with the same processing power, it made sense for us to develop for those consoles."

-It would make more sense to make the game for as many platforms as possible for the widest base possible (esp. PC). It would also allow people like myself (who has been a dedicated PC enthusiast with no interest in consoles for years) to play the game without having to spend $500 on a console that will only end up being used for 1 game. Vice Versa would also be true.

-Cyne

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't fret too much. Once it comes out I doubt you'll be nearly as upset as you are right now.

It's not really a grand mystery. LucasArts simply doesn't want to bother making it for the pc because the return on their investment wouldn't be nearly that what it is on consoles and handhelds.

Lucasarts reasons for no PC version...

"For us, ultimately it was... technologies like Pixelux, DMM (Digital Molecular Matter) and Euphoria are so processor intensive and powerful that the kind of machine you'd need to run them is not the kind of machine most people are going to have. It's such an advanced spec that we feel we really needed to do it justice. If we pulled that stuff out and delivered a sub-par experience"...

"We also felt that was a wrong approach as people are going to miss out on this. We didn't want to do it [the PC version] half-way. Every platform is getting a great game and they should all be able to stand-alone; we didn't want to deliver a sub-par experience for PC gamers".

basically they can't be bothered.

firstly they would have to port it, then make it stable on a variety of system set-ups. then beta test for awhile, then iron out bugs they've found. then continue supporting the game after release, with patches and whatnot.

too much work for them and not enough return.

unfortunately i think this will become a common trend.

Or, it is suggested by the "lets be fair to the Wii players and punish the 360/PS3 players" poodoo licking warts in LucasArts. Half-Arsed excuses... seems like the same guy to me. That person deserved to be placed in a Vong's House of Fun for eternalty.

Personally, if they can make a PS2 version it would be easy to make just an emulated version for the PC. Lego Starwars sort of do it in that sense.

Exactly. How can they develop such an "Advanced" game with "Latest, Cutting Edge Technologies" for platforms like DS, N-Gage, PS2, PSP, even Wii and leave out PC? How can TFU on these platforms NOT be a "Watered Down Experience"? Look at Crysis, for example. It sold what, over 1.5 million copies for PC alone and has only been on the market since November 2007. Not that I'm saying these low-end platforms suck, but developing an advanced, graphically-intesive game like TFU for those and not PC is completely and utterly stupid in all honesty. I've been a fan of the Jedi Knight series ever since the very first one came out for PC years and years ago. Now it seems Lucas Arts have turned their backs on the original, die-hard, loyal fans... shame.

-Cyne

I totally agree with you Cyne, we should make a petition telling Lucasarts to make TFU for PC (hehe)

if that doesn't work i'm getting it on PSP

There is already a Petition that has over 25,000 signatures at the following link, but I doubt Lucas Arts would care about it even if they saw it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/g5d4iu5f/

Such shame, a game that would have so much promise for the PC isn't being released for it...

-Cyne

NO! PC is probably the best way to play video games, because it's not just a toy it's also a tool. An Xbox or PS3 can only play games, show pics, and maybe watch movies and that's it. Millions of people make a lot of money because of PCs look at Bill Gates!

oh yeah Cyne I signed the Petition and there were 25,403 signatures after I signed

They probably just want to have the best engine and graphics, and it's hard to do on PC because there are millions of different types of PCs and not as many different types of consoles and all of the consoles are pretty much the same

can't believe they're worried about awards and not the people who will be playing TFU

Well hell, why don't they just port the DS version to pc?

There's about four pc gamers that would be happy with a PS2 port to PC. I don't think the PS2 players will even be happy with the PS2 version.

DS version porting would require some effort due to the duo screent thingy. But things like PSP and PS2 is essentially running the original code in an emulator. The resulting performance is probably better than the original game on PSP/PS2 also due to better performance of the PC itself, basically better resolution, and maybe better sound and skins with higher resolution.

Trust me, its good enough for those people hungry for the game, plus it runs mods. Not to mention the minimal development tims since you are just running the old codes on a tweaked emulation tech.

Its not a new trick, many so-called re-released classic games are not ported codes, but rather original code on emulator as suggested, even on consoles. Some even provide the option of "original lag" so you can feel the original classic frustration.

Exactly. How can they develop such an "Advanced" game with "Latest, Cutting Edge Technologies" for platforms like DS, N-Gage, PS2, PSP, even Wii and leave out PC?
Because "PC" isn't one platform, it is multiple platforms.

really i didn't know that, I haven't been reading on TFU problems lately. I know that the programmers are favoring the Wii for this game, but why is the question
LucasArts isn't even developing the Wii version, they shipped that out to Krome studios in Australia. LucasArts has talked about programming before for this game. They said they started programming for Xbox 360 and found it was difficult to move it to the PS3, so in future games they will develop for the PS3 first.

Archived