Home

So does this indicate a shift in LF policy?

Because I was told it was LF policy not to moderate PMs unless they were explicit in their language, image, or intent.

_EW_

I don't think they will be moderated - but it'll make it easier to bring problematic ones to Moderators attention, I think.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So does this indicate a shift in LF policy?

Because I was told it was LF policy not to moderate PMs unless they were explicit in their language, image, or intent.

I'm not aware of any change. As far as I know the standard rules apply to PMs as well, but nobody's going to check what's in another member's PM box. (Staff members can't read other members' PMs unless someone forwards them to them). What goes on there is pretty much a matter between the sender and recipient of the PMs.

I haven't even checked, but there is actually a report pm feature now, right?

If that's the case, I would imagine it would falsify this statement.

_EW_

This is a difference in policy and capability. Stoffe is saying we will not pro-actively moderate PMs as a matter of policy. I'm not even sure the capability to drop in on someone's PM box even exists in the software (I looked you up in the admincp just to be sure and saw no option :(). That's not to say that we couldn't pull the message right out of the database under special circumstances. For instance, complying with a court order or some such.

Matt

This is a difference in policy and capability. Stoffe is saying we will not pro-actively moderate PMs as a matter of policy. I'm not even sure the capability to drop in on someone's PM box even exists in the software (I looked you up in the admincp just to be sure and saw no option :(). That's not to say that we couldn't pull the message right out of the database under special circumstances. For instance, complying with a court order or some such.

Matt

Thanks Matt, this clears it up nicely :)

_EW_

I've disabled the report PM link. It would email all moderators the contents of the PM but of course the context of the PM exchange would be lost. I don't think we're missing out in turning this feature off and I suspect that oftentimes this would draw moderators into an area where they don't need to be.

If a PM really needs to be brought to the attention of staff, the user should forward it on to an admin.

Archived