Home

Where do you get your gaming news?

Just wondering what websites or magazines or friends you all get all your gaming-related news from. Also, why do you use that source?

Personally, I like GameSpy because its layout doesn't feel as bloated as some sites (like GameSpot, for example), and it has a nice weekly newsletter that lands in my inbox every week containing links to all the articles posted that week.

So how 'bout you?

Since I'm a Professional Blogger (Oh how I love to flaunt that term), I use a variety of feeds mashed up by Google Reader. I mostly stick to blogs, as they cover both important and sub-important news, so among my lists are Kotaku, Joystiq, Shacknews, 1UP and Gamespy. Most of the time it's pretty much wherever there's interesting news to be seen.

My brain is connected to the internet. I don't have to search to find news, it comes to me. Then I distil it to find what might be interesting to SWK-ers and post it here :p.

Edit: More seriously; Kokatu, 1Up, Gamespy, GameSpot, IGN, Gamasutra. There are others but I can't think of them right off the top of my head.

I used Gamespot regularly, but now I rarely use any online sources other than the game's official site when it comes to info. The reason is that I'm just not interested in too many details, I just want some basic info and as for the details, I get them from a local magazine.

I used to be one of those geeks that are upset when their favourite game doesn't receive a fitting score from their favourite game magazine. The magazine of my choice was IGN and Gamestar (german).

Those days are over, I don't give a damn about magazines and their reviews and scores anymore. Instead, I play a demo if available. Other than that, I look for people who appear to have a similar taste in games who have already played the game and scan their comments. Then I decide.

Kokatu, 1Up, GameSpot, Gamasutra, to name some english ones...

And another absurd amount of brazillian sites.

And it may not be the best place to look for news on games, but EGM (the brazillian edition) is actually a good spot for more in-depht and detailed views on those.

When I'm into a game I check out forums about it. Those forums, like here, tend to discuss other games as well and pass on recommendations, so I just leapfrog across the gaming world without really noticing the latest news. Though I suppose I do get some updates from Penny Arcade and The Escapist and such when I'm passing through.

Mostly gamespot and pc gamer, although PCG has gone waaayyy down hill since I first started reading it. I used to play demos but since around when HL2 came out my computers not been good enough to handle 95% of the "Big" games that I would normally try, so I mostly just read the sites/magazines to take up time.

Archived