Home

LucasFiles Overhaul... Would you be interested?

The site has been lifeless for a while now, but would anyone be interested in giving LucasFiles an "overhaul"?

It's been pretty much dead for a while and maybe it's time to bring it back to life? Add some nifty new stuff to it etc.

Would anyone be interested in this?

If enough people seem interested, maybe some of the more "tech savvy" staff around here and "tech savvy" members would be willing to have a go at bringing LucasFiles back into the living world?

If people are interested and the staff do decide to have a go at bringing it back count me in as help. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Naturally we would support any type of initiative in that regard. It has been on our "to do" list for a while now... so if enough folks want to assist, that would be fantastic.

Well, if you make a decision to do some "restorative" work on the site, like I said i'll help in any way I can. :)

Well, see who you can round up for a team and we'll see if we can't give it a go. We can make it a lucasforums project (Our first use of the project tools?) .. but we'll need some coders, html gurus and some graphic wizards to do it right...

Start rounding up a team and we'll see what we can get put together.

Well, see who you can round up for a team and we'll see if we can't give it a go. We can make it a lucasforums project (Our first use of the project tools?) .. but we'll need some coders, html gurus and some graphic wizards to do it right...

Start rounding up a team and we'll see what we can get put together.

I'll see if I can't find a few interested people then see where we go from there. :)

Glovemaster has agreed to do some coding and html wizardry and I know he's great with this kind of thing so it's definitely a start.

Also, I know an amazing graphics artist here on the boards so i'll ask if he'd like to join when he comes online next. :)

I'll keep asking around. :)

Sounds like a plan... we can make an announcement post about it in a while... but feel free to post in some of the forums that you are putting together a team.

I'll do just that. :)

Nice to see the staff are open to suggestions and input from us lowly members...

:)

Marius had just asked me if I'd be interested in helping with this and I said I'd be glad to help :^:

Since you need "some coders, html gurus" I'd be happy to assist. I can code HTML, PHP and JavaScript, kinda all you need for web design I suppose. I can do graphics, but don't expect anything elaborate from me :p.

I'm no stranger to Photoshop, so I could probably help out with graphics, unless there's someone better for the job. I worked with Dreamweaver and Frontpage, but the stuff I did involved no HTML coding, so I'd be pretty useless there. However, if you need someone to design the banners, buttons etc, like I said, I'm pretty good with Photoshop.

I'm no stranger to Photoshop, so I could probably help out with graphics, unless there's someone better for the job. I worked with Dreamweaver and Frontpage, but the stuff I did involved no HTML coding, so I'd be pretty useless there. However, if you need someone to design the banners, buttons etc, like I said, I'm pretty good with Photoshop.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. :)

I think I know an awsome graphics guy who can help as well as another awsome coder so I think we would be set to go!

Plus I think tk and stoffe would probably be on the project too so we may have this covered if you join. :)

I'll leave the final decisions to Aristotle however as he's the guy in charge. ;)

Depending on what you need I'm happy to help out :)

I would also reccomend liasing with Shem; he has alot of expierance in this field and I'm sure he would have good suggestions etc.

Well, Shem runs KotORFiles, so would he be willing to spill the secrets of awsome mod sites to the competition? :xp:

I would gladly help, although the max file size needs to be raised quite a bit, most of the time when I try to get someone to upload a file here, they cant because the file limit is like 100mb or something preposterously small. I know pretty basic HTML and java but I can always get some books from my crazy nam vet of a programming teacher.

Well, Shem runs KotORFiles, so would he be willing to spill the secrets of awsome mod sites to the competition? :xp:

Well, when I had this discussion with Inyri, she pointed out that it is to the benefit of the community to have mods spread out at as many mod sites as possible so another pcgamemods doesn't occur (not that I think filefront will go down anytime soon). I know Shem will always do what he thinks is best for the community. You can always ask, worst that will happen is he will say no, but to be honest I don't see why there can't be a working relationship between the two sites.

I would gladly help, I cant tell you how many BF2 modders Ive begged to upload files to here but "Its not used enough" or "Its got too small of a file size cap". I know pretty basic HTML and java but I can always get some books from my crazy nam vet of a programming teacher.

Well, we need as much programming help as we can get so yeah, why not. :)

Well, when I had this discussion with Inyri, she pointed out that it is to the benefit of the community to have mods spread out at as many mod sites as possible so another pcgamemods doesn't occur (not that I think filefront will go down anytime soon). I know Shem will always do what he thinks is best for the community. You can always ask, worst that will happen is he will say no, but to be honest I don't see why there can't be a working relationship between the two sites.

Very true. We'll see if Shem would be willing to give us some pointers. :)

Hold on folks. There's a number of things that need to be discussed first behind the scenes before anything occurs regarding Lucasfiles. Keep your expectations in check in the meantime. Thanks.

I'm all for LucasFiles to be up and running great. It would be good for the community. Here is what I suggest.

1. You need a crew that is dedicated and diligent. Having a lazy and or absentminded staff is a turnoff to those who are looking to host their work.

2. You need a good uploading system that is well organized. I saw too many of my mods disappear or lost when I tried to upload mods there and had trouble with the staff because sometimes they would put my mods in the wrong area even though I had it in the right area when I originally uploaded it; even sometimes they put it in the wrong game section. I have more stories about the troubles I had there and it got to a point where I gave up on them.

3. I would suggest a PCGM type uploading system if possible, even have it like how it was at PCGM where you can upload it through your account, update your mod and such. People miss that type of uploading system. That itself would invite a large growth.

If it is done correctly, I believe it could be as big as KotorFiles is currently now, which would be a good thing for our community and other LucasArts games.

Thanks for your input Shem. :)

I'm sure your suggestions and ideas will be put to good use should the project go ahead. :)

Feel free to ask me about anything with this project. I'd be happy to give you my input to what I think will help you be a success.

Archived