Home

LucasFiles Overhaul... Would you be interested?

As TK said... there's lots to discuss behind the scenes before any project is assembled. I thought the thread was a good idea to see who would be interested in working on a large team project and who could offer what help. It's certainly nice to see people throw their hats into the ring if we get the ball rolling for this project and it looks like there is some solid talent willing to join the cause.

Either way, be sure to add your name if you are interested in helping and we'll keep a list while we discuss the details a bit more and hash them out more.

Great to see folks stepping up though and putting their names out there. It's most appreciated!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought i'd post a list of those who have agreed to help:

glovemaster

Stream

igyman

jawathehutt

Quanon

Me

Quanon (who is an amazing artist) has agreed to help with some graphics. Now you know it'll be awsome. ;)

Glovemaster has also said he has a friend who can help help with the coding should we need it.

So, with the people above and a few of the Admins (I assume they'll be in) we should be able to have a pretty good crack at it. :)

Well, as j7 said, it's a nice idea just incase another PCGM occurs, (it probably won't but it never hurts to be prepared) plus it's nice to have a little variety in where to host your files. Maybe some people don't visit KotORFiles but will visit LucasFiles?

Not going to. PCGM was owned by one person. KotORFiles is part of Filefront, a subsidiary of a large multimedia company, none of which are likely to crash and burn any time soon, and handled by an extremely capable, professional staff on the back end.

I think several hosting sites is advantagous to the community and modders, as it I think hightens the chance that people will come across a modders mods, and as such more people will enjoy their mods.

If the project does go ahead I am more than happy to help; my relevant skills are not as polished or as good as some of those who have already volunteered, however I am as I have said before happy to help... I have worked as both a IT technition and administator, so I think I can be of help :)

I think several hosting sites is advantagous to the community and modders, as it I think hightens the chance that people will come across a modders mods, and as such more people will enjoy their mods.

It may seem that way, but in the end, one site will suffer at the expense of the other, and in any case, modders will simply split, some uploading to one site, some to others. Only a very few will actually upload to both, however. Rather than increase accessibility, this will lead to fewer mods being hosted in the same location, and thus, decrese it.

QFT.

@DI

If people have to visit more than one site to download the mods they want, there's more of a chance they'll discover more mods on that site, then if there's something they want that's not on the site but is on the other they will go to the other one and vice-versa.

This project could benefit both LF and KotORFiles.

No - it will simply confuse them, and lead to fewer mods being found, since they'll stick with the site they know.

We have seen this happen before in this community.

In an ideal world I would hope that LF and KF would be linked togeather, if the project goes ahead I'm unsure if this is viable or not.

I would also hope that modders would be happy to host their files at both sites, but depends on the modders and something that does come into consideration.

This is kinda shows the gap between the LF Network and FileFront. I have to agree with DI, in that redesigning LucasFiles would be rather pointless as people have been using FileFront in the past, which it seems is due to the much better administration and site features.

However, I also think that it would be strange for the LF Network not to have a place where the users can upload their mods, and instead rely on FileFront to do all the hosting.

I assume that the LF Network pays for the LucasFiles website, (if not, you will have to share that secret with me :p) to leave the site as it is would be somewhat of a waste of money.

I think the site is only worth recoding if the LF Network were willing to promote it more.

The thing with Filefront is that they delete your file after a month or so if you dont email them between a certain time period or some other obsticle like that. Also, more games than just KOTOR would be using it, a back up site would have been very useful the few times when the SWBFiles admins of the past decided to leave without telling any one.

The thing with Filefront is that they delete your file after a month or so if you dont email them between a certain time period or some other obsticle like that.
Dude, seriously? What in the world are you talking about? Do us a favor, don't make crap up and spread it around like it's fact when you have someone who works for that network who knows better and will call you on it. Either retract what you are saying or make yourself more clear on what you're talking about. Your statement is a good way to lose your credibility and I won't let you influence the gullible users around here on stuff like that.

Dude, seriously? What in the world are you talking about? Do us a favor, don't make crap up and spread it around like it's fact when you have someone who works for that network who knows better and will call you on it. Either retract what you are saying or make yourself more clear on what you're talking about. Your statement is a good way to lose your credibility and I won't let you influence the gullible users around here on stuff like that.

I don't think he was talking about KotORFiles, I think he was talking about the main FileFront site.

Though i'm not sure if they delete your files as I don't use that. Doubtful though.

Lucasfiles is most definitely being relaunched. It's a question of when and who gets involved in the process. This is something the folks behind the scenes have talked about for a while now and it's currently on the top of the agenda. Finding good people is the next phase. Naturally the new Lucasfiles will have the ability for authors to upload their files, add their own screenshots, descriptions, etc and then go live once validated by an admin... that alone will provide the file site to push out the files for ALL LEC games at a pace that is surely to be appreciated by the community. And of course, we'll have a fully integrated comment system that hooks into the forums as well.

Variety and choice is healthy. We are already providing files and now it's time to update the site and bring in version 2.0... for our community. I'm certainly not leaving out the thought of doing something jointly with FileFront either, however. That's always possible and has been explored in the past. I like the crew over there and think they do a great job.

We'll either drive this project community based or we'll just pay for the coding to be done in the end. Naturally, the community leading the charge on the project has a nice ring to it since everyone would be able to take pride in knowing it was a successful community project that worked and everyone can enjoy.

Again, either way, it's wonderful to see the folks line up to help. Says a great deal about the community we have here at LucasForums.

Having several sites to host mods would be a good thing--having Lucasfiles as an active site would go a long way towards making sure we don't have all our eggs in one basket like we had with PCGamemods. It was not fun losing so many mods. Not that I think either LFN or FF will go away, mind you. :)

This is kinda shows the gap between the LF Network and FileFront. I have to agree with DI, in that redesigning LucasFiles would be rather pointless as people have been using FileFront in the past, which it seems is due to the much better administration and site features.

However, I also think that it would be strange for the LF Network not to have a place where the users can upload their mods, and instead rely on FileFront to do all the hosting.

I assume that the LF Network pays for the LucasFiles website, (if not, you will have to share that secret with me :p) to leave the site as it is would be somewhat of a waste of money.

I think the site is only worth recoding if the LF Network were willing to promote it more.

I think we should redo LucasFiles... but I can't help but wonder if what DI is saying is right. I know I would upload to both, but some might not. And I know that I probably won't check both sites, since it's an extra step and there will be so many duplicates.

But we are paying for it, and I do think LF should have a hosting site.

As for Glovemaster's last comment: The advertising is the simplest of the tasks ahead. I think that if we get the site up and running and its easy to use and running smoothly, convincing others and promoting the site would fall into place.

_EW_

This is not a FileFront bashing thread. If you have problems with FileFront, please take those issues to the people who can actually fix the problem, which would be the FileFront staff and not us.

This is a LucasFiles thread. Please stay on topic. Non-relevant posts will be deleted in the future.

Archived