Home

LucasFiles Overhaul... Would you be interested?

Lucasfiles is most definitely being relaunched. It's a question of when and who gets involved in the process. This is something the folks behind the scenes have talked about for a while now and it's currently on the top of the agenda. Finding good people is the next phase. Naturally the new Lucasfiles will have the ability for authors to upload their files, add their own screenshots, descriptions, etc and then go live once validated by an admin... that alone will provide the file site to push out the files for ALL LEC games at a pace that is surely to be appreciated by the community. And of course, we'll have a fully integrated comment system that hooks into the forums as well.

Variety and choice is healthy. We are already providing files and now it's time to update the site and bring in version 2.0... for our community. I'm certainly not leaving out the thought of doing something jointly with FileFront either, however. That's always possible and has been explored in the past. I like the crew over there and think they do a great job.

We'll either drive this project community based or we'll just pay for the coding to be done in the end. Naturally, the community leading the charge on the project has a nice ring to it since everyone would be able to take pride in knowing it was a successful community project that worked and everyone can enjoy.

Again, either way, it's wonderful to see the folks line up to help. Says a great deal about the community we have here at LucasForums.

That's great news. :) Whether you decide do have the site done by a pro web designer or by a few of us here in the community, i'm sure we'll ALL back the site 100%.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for Glovemaster's last comment: The advertising is the simplest of the tasks ahead. I think that if we get the site up and running and its easy to use and running smoothly, convincing others and promoting the site would fall into place.

Admittedly, since the target audience would be the board users, and the LF Network happens to own the boards, I can't imagine that being a problem in the slightest :p

I've been using FileFront for some year and a half, I wouldn't stop using FF though I have no problem with using LF aswell and I reckon the majority of people would be willing to do the same.

Excuse me while I rant but, and you can't deny :¬:, some of the LF Network sites are rather... Poorly designed :roleyess:. Erm, but the boards are great ;)

Though... Technically you didn't design them...

Anyway, I have to stress that should you choose to have LucasFiles done "professionally", erm, please hire a proffesional.

[/potentionally insulting rant, sorry =/]

Admittedly, since the target audience would be the board users, and the LF Network happens to own the boards, I can't imagine that being a problem in the slightest :p

I've been using FileFront for some year and a half, I wouldn't stop using FF though I have no problem with using LF aswell and I reckon the majority of people would be willing to do the same.

Excuse me while I rant but, and you can't deny :¬:, some of the LF Network sites are rather... Poorly designed :roleyess:. Erm, but the boards are great ;)

Though... Technically you didn't design them...

Anyway, I have to stress that should you choose to have LucasFiles done "professionally", erm, please hire a proffesional.

[/potentionally insulting rant, sorry =/]

I agree with your first two points. However, as to the third: We have a lot of talented people here on these boards. I think with a little leadership and some help from the staff of LFN, they will be able to pull off something even better (and for that matter more cost effective) than professionals could. But I'm not saying that we should definitely not hire someone. We seem to have a good amount of support so far; I say only hire someone if the community support falls out.

_EW_

I can't imagine the support going any time soon, perhaps if we can "have a go" and see what we can come up with? Of course there is nothing stopping LFN from deciding to hire a proffesional.

On a loose note:

I won't let you influence the gullible users around here on stuff like that.

Hehe :p

I was thinking about a pcgamemods style LufasFiles.com. At this point in time, I have six websites in production. If I have some time this weekend, I will send over a prototype for LucasFiles.com. Maybe we can all send in a version, so LucasForums has some to choose from.

By prototype I'm guessing you mean like, some sort of graphical draft with the layout, fonts and images sorted?

Also, if LFN wants to continue with a "Login" system on the site, then the site would have to be coded to use the boards SQL database for users and perhaps new tables will need to be added for other website features.

Ok, I thought this was important enough to warrant a post of its own.

Glovemaster, has put together a DRAFT for the site. You can look at it here:

~link to naked women wrestling removed

It's awesome eh?

If that's just the draft I can only imagine what the real thing would be like. ;)

There will be an update to it tommorrow. :)

He says there's an update coming tommorrow.

I've had a go at making a banner and that'll be on it too.

As well as some other new features. :)

He says he can't really do that much more in the way of features how ever as he doesn't have access to the original site and the database.

Wow. If he continues in this way, there won't be any work left for the rest of us who wanted to help. Looking very good.

:lol: Thanks for the comment, but those graphics are all discraceful crap that has been thrown together just to see what it would look like roughly. Its just a disgusting mesh of gradients, alpha transparency and google-harvested graphics :p

All of, if not most, the graphics need to be re-done. I guess those are more like "templates" ;)

:lol: Thanks for the comment, but those graphics are all discraceful crap that has been thrown together just to see what it would look like roughly. Its just a disgusting mesh of gradients, alpha transparency and google-harvested graphics :p

All of, if not most, the graphics need to be re-done. I guess those are more like "templates" ;)

Nice job man.

Suggestions Only:

1 - Drop the body text down to around 10pts, and the headers down to 10.5 - 11 pts.

2 - Make your copyright statement around 9pts. Header for the copyright statement should also be around 9pts.

Everything else looks cool man! :)

Regardless, I think it looks very good.

Glovemaster - nice changes man. The text looks much better. You are doing a great job. :)

Within your 'contact us' form, instead of using the word name, how about "LucasForums Screename" - or- "Screename". We want to keep people's real name anonymous. ;)

Hey, thanks for the comments ;)

Its been a bit hard to find the time to work on the website, I don't really want to do anything else since we have no idea what LFN want to do. I'm thinking of setting it to span the entire width of the browser, rather than have a set amount of pixels.

Though, it only takes a week before I decide that the design is old and feel inclined to redesign it. I really need to get some grasp on photoshop <.<

• 2 weeks later...
While I'm all for rejuvenation, I think that some of the games are getting to old to warrant lone websites. What if all the games were under some large LFN network banner with a common design and theme?

I wonder what we could call it..... Lucasfiles.com ?

I don't understand what you're saying. That's what LucasFiles would (in theory) be for.

_EW_

If you mean the design, I admit it is rather Star Wars based though I had considered that LF would be for a wide range of games rather than just Star Wars. the reason I decided to continue with the design was because after looking through the LF website I figured that it was pretty much all Star Wars mods.

I understand what you mean though and after I have all the coursework I am trying to ignore finished I was planning to do a redesign and go a little more simple and broader. I always tend to get bored of any design I come up with within a week or two. :p

If you mean the design, I admit it is rather Star Wars based though I had considered that LF would be for a wide range of games rather than just Star Wars. the reason I decided to continue with the design was because after looking through the LF website I figured that it was pretty much all Star Wars mods.

QFT.

Most of the mods being released by LF members these days are Star Wars.

Still, at least this one has a theme, unlike the old one. ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived