Home

New Contacts & Friends Features etc

What do you think of the new contact, messaging & friends features ?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new contact, messaging & friends features ?

• Awesome!
    • A bit to myspace-ish for my liking... nuh-uh :(
    • I really truly dont care (aka Yoda)

Some of you may have noticed the new additions to the contacts, messaging and friends part of your profile, and may have started receiving 'friend requests' and the like. Please use this thread to:

*Vote

*Express your opinion of said feature ? concerns? jubilation?

*Comment of frequency and potential for ongoing use

Doing this will be an important way for staff to gather feedback about the feature. Ive placed this thread here as opposed to the feedback forum, as it it also a point of discussion as opposed to a feedback issue purely.

My concerns ?

*The fun part about coming to places like AHTO and the swamp was the esprit de corps that pervaded the larger community areas ; Like walking into a (virtual) room full of people whom you have some level of commonality and familiarity. Important for newer and younger members also was the friendliness that was engendered by this communal spirit.

The bonds that form the core of these community areas are usually forged in the mayhem that follow a release of a wildly successful title...which correlates nicely with how the JK and SWK areas are the strongest from a communal/numbers POV.

It probably isnt a huge deal, but when something has potential to affect:

>LFNs unique communal spirit

>Acessibility to newcomers to feel comfortable entering the community as a whole....

It is important that members are allowed to comment on it :)

have your say!

mtfbwya

I should also have added that the visitor messaging system can be disabled from your user cp thank heavens!! Im not sure if that affects the 'friend request notifications though'

Remember to vote. Democracy needs your contribution ;)

mtfbwya

Some of you may have noticed the new additions to the contacts, messaging and friends part of your profile, and may have started receiving 'friend requests' and the like. Please use this thread to:

*Vote

Doing this will be an important way for staff to gather feedback about the feature. Ive placed this thread here as opposed to the feedback forum, as it it also a point of discussion as opposed to a feedback issue purely.

My concerns ?

*The fun part about coming to places like AHTO and the swamp was the esprit de corps that pervaded the larger community areas ; Like walking into a (virtual) room full of people whom you have some level of commonality and familiarity. Important for newer and younger members also was the friendliness that was engendered by this communal spirit.

The bonds that form the core of these community areas are usually forged in the mayhem that follow a release of a wildly successful title...which correlates nicely with how the JK and SWK areas are the strongest from a communal/numbers POV.

>Acessibility to newcomers to feel comfortable entering the community as a whole....

It is important that members are allowed to comment on it :)

have your say!

mtfbwya

Personally I won't be using the new features too much, I'll add friends and somewhat use them, but I don't actually think the forums needed too much improvement. With regards acessibility for newbs, I think that in any forum, you will get to know people and a kind of social 'heirachy' does form, however I do think LF is a very friendly place; I generally only out here in Knights tbh.

Remember to vote. Democracy needs your contribution ;)

That presume's I believe in democracy ;) Which I don't... the majority may have might, but seldom ever is the majority right, and never does the majority posess common sense.

Some of you may have noticed the new additions to the contacts, messaging and friends part of your profile, and may have started receiving 'friend requests' and the like.

Gosh, do you think?

Please use this thread to:

*Vote

If it were a feedback issue, it would have been posted in the Feedback forum, I suspect.

Somehow, this feels more like an opportunity for you to vent about changes you don't like without actually criticising anyone, while at the same time inflating your image as someone who actively works on the site and the community. If stoffe, tk or anyone else responsible for the upgrades wants to post a thread like this, I suspect they know how. And could get it in the right area of the forums, too.

I for one like it all.

Oh, and if it were truly representative, you'd think your poll would show who voted which way. It might've had some options other than "I love it" and "It's not my thing", too - which isn't actually a very good way to represent variant opinions. Unless, of course, you are trying to tailor your results...

I voted “I really truly don’t care” because I don’t know how much I will use the new features. Since I left High School I’ve have not been into popularity as it usually takes away from just being yourself. I’m pretty sure the people that I respect and enjoy on the forum know it without me pointing it out.

My concerns ?

I do see this as a concern, but I trust Darth333, tk102, stoffe, Jae Onasi and the other Administrators and Moderators to monitor the effects and make changes if necessary.

blerg

oh insiduous...how aptly named you are..... not one of your "hey <member>why are you ranting" rants again! truly, deeply, lolz.

The feature wont go away any second, and no one is lobbying for that ;) It's unintrusive enough to be ignored.

It is simply respectful to allow members to comment on it. This poll was posted after some discussion on the topic with a site admin. If I just wanted to rant about it, I would have proceeded to the feedback area.

If anyone dislikes the feature, they wont use(like me) simple. It's not mandatory.

Yes/No/Indifferent is a standard means of gathering a 'general consensus' opinion. ie. All in favour, say "aye" type responses...

The strength of opinion isnt really relevant to the body of the poll, this is what thread posts are for. That will allow more detail than a poll option will.

As for me tailoring my results... look at the numbers....sheez ;) I would have phrased them much differently had I wanted to skew responses. Alot of my job revolves around gathering qualitative data about complex health conditions... this is peanuts > and I have naught to gain from doing so! Look at mimartin's response for example... that seems negative reponse, but the poll allows the option to not comment. If members also wish their votes to remain anonymous...who are we to rob them of that right.

Besides, an admin/mod always has the power to alter the poll of they deem it wicked and irresponsibly worded!

mtfbwya

oh insiduous...

First, learn to spell. Second, proper nouns have a capital letter.

how aptly named you are.....

That should be three stops. And using two ellipses in the same sentence really isn't stylistically correct. I also fail to see what is apt by username.

not one of your "hey <member>why are you ranting" rants again! truly, deeply, lolz.

I don't believe I've made one in recent memory, so unless you're confusing me with someone else, this seems to be a pointless ad hom.

The feature wont go away any second, and no one is lobbying for that ;) It's unintrusive enough to be ignored.

Then why bother bringing it up?

It is simply respectful to allow members to comment on it. This poll was posted after some discussion on the topic with a site admin. If I just wanted to rant about it, I would have proceeded to the feedback area.

Then perhaps it should have been clearer from your first post what this thread was.

If anyone dislikes the feature, they wont use(like me) simple. It's not mandatory.

Oh, absolutely.

Yes/No/Indifferent is a standard means of gathering a 'general consensus' opinion. ie. All in favour, say "aye" type responses...

Then why weight them with loaded language?

The strength of opinion isnt really relevant to the body of the poll, this is what thread posts are for. That will allow more detail than a poll option will.

And how many will actually bother to post in comparison to the number who have voted? Six have posted so far, and at the time of writing there were nine votes. Clearly, not everyone is going to bother writing some long description of their thoughts on the subject.

As for me tailoring my results... look at the numbers....sheez ;) I would have phrased them much differently had I wanted to skew responses. Alot of my job revolves around gathering qualitative data about complex health conditions... this is peanuts > and I have naught to gain from doing so!

Aside from vindication. You've left it nicely polarised, however, so that the 'yes' option is an extreme enthusiasm, while anyone with even the most lukewarm answer can safely choose the 'no' option.

Besides, an admin/mod always has the power to alter the poll of they deem it wicked and irresponsibly worded!

Not, I suspect, without leaving a trace.

That should be three stops. And using two ellipses in the same sentence really isn't sylistically correct. I also fail to see what is apt by username.

I'm not taking one side or the other here, but a message to InSidious: if you're going to criticize another person's grammar and/or spelling, you should make every attempt to verify your own is correct. I'm thinking that Astro's "insiduous" was probably a typo, similar to your "sylistically".

Other than that, I agree with a lot of your points about the poll possibly being a subtle method of ranting.

I salute every single addition, even those I find completely unnecessary, like blogs for example - I've never understood the purpose of those things, other than to rant senselessly about what first comes to mind. However, there are people who see things differently and are into blogs, so I say let 'em have that option, I doubt I'll use it, I probably won't even look at it, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to. As it has been said, it's up to the individual user to decide if they want to use a given option or not.

My concerns ?

Exactly my concern as well, and what I perceive to be the reason I abhor social networking sites. While the changes haven't turned LF into one, it's definitely a step in the direction.

I've always favoured plain and simple forums for all the social networking in the world - it's equal, downright and friendships/enmities are forged on the fly and not because you have some "mutual friend" or "share the same interests" or some other bull**** like that.

Agreed with that newcomers part as well. That might be a bit of a concern, since the number of newbies has, at least visibly decreased and only Force Unleashed (or maybe Fracture) can help revive that. :(

Have no fear, Litofsky is here! :p (See, you do have newbies coming)

Anyways, I admit, the new features are interesting, alas, they are also privileged. "Social Groups" may be created, and certain members may be excluded.

In the end, I like the new features, but I'd rather have it the old way, if only for the equality. So... I'm in the middle.

Have no fear, Litofsky is here! :p (See, you do have newbies coming)

Anyways, I admit, the new features are interesting, alas, they are also privileged. "Social Groups" may be created, and certain members may be excluded.

In the end, I like the new features, but I'd rather have it the old way, if only for the equality. So... I'm in the middle.

Well, so far the social circles have been pretty egalitarian on the whole. There seem to be more public ones than not.

oh insiduous...

how aptly named you are.....

That should be three stops. And using two ellipses in the same sentence really isn't stylistically correct. I also fail to see what is apt by username.

not one of your "hey <member>why are you ranting" rants again! truly, deeply, lolz.

I don't believe I've made one in recent memory, so unless you're confusing me with someone else, this seems to be a pointless ad hom.

Ah, my children, I feel the heat as you both stray dangerously close to the sign on that one gate that says 'Abandon all hope, ye who enter here'. It's time to put the antipathy to bed and be cordial lest Some of Us find it necessary to Alter Posts and/or Hand Out Infractions.

Blogs are good if you want to rant about something no one wants to hear, I hope there's a button to turn useless threads/posts into that user's blog lolz :)

As for the Myspace-ness, nothing wrong with that, just use it as much or as little as you want, and leave people alone who'd rather stay away from it...

I'm pretty sure no one of the admins would have established MyLucasForumSpace.com without thinking about it beforehand.

Then again, they might have had a try on my "chilli recipe" I send them the other day, I noticed I forgot the instruction leaflet, which also states:

May cause mild nausea, and/or blurring effects in the visionary system, unregulated activities of orifices, complacency.

Yum.

Also, who is gonna moderate all those blogs and social groups now? -- As usual, I insist on it becoming jaymack, having these nice features like being nowhere, yet everywhere! or having a nicely shaped peenis too!

JAYMACK FOR W/E!!

As for the recent fist fights, I think Astro's standpoint has been made clear:

the visitor messaging system can be disabled from your user cp thank heavens!!

^^

lolz@ Insidious. See what Jae said. Anything else I could say to the likes of you is off topic and hence, irrelevant ;)

MyLucasForumSpace.com

awesome Ray :) though i dont think those comments about your fondness for jaymac's bits are entirely appropriate, or will survive the night ;)

I really think it was a case of some super eagerness to try some new features in vbulletin, as opposed to thinking about its impact on the community.

That is an excellent point about moderating these places.... there definitely isnt an applicable code of conduct that has been put out. What would happen if someone wanted to post negative comments under someone elses visitor messages ??? Its something that needs to be clarified, definitely!

However, the numbers indicate that the feeling is positive...accompanied by an healthy amount of ambivalency,

Thanks to everyone that has voted, and please continue to chime in if you have not done so ;)

mtfbwya

Also, who is gonna moderate all those blogs and social groups now? -- As usual, I insist on it becoming jaymack, having these nice features like being nowhere, yet everywhere!

The Super Moderators are currently able to monitor and moderate public profile messages, social groups, picture albums and blog comments. To some degree it is also depending on community self-moderation. There should be "report" links in all those places where you can bring it to the moderators' attention if something inappropriate is posted.

The standard forum rules (those you agree to when you register your user account) applies to those features as well. For those who have been here too long to see or remember them: :D

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of LucasForums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of LucasForums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of LucasForums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

(Pretty much the default vBulletin rules, but they are the only ones we have that aren't section specific, as far as I know. :))

The Super Moderators are currently able to monitor and moderate public profile messages, social groups, picture albums and blog comments. To some degree it is also depending on community self-moderation. There should be "report" links in all those places where you can bring it to the moderators' attention if something inappropriate is posted.

Standard forum rules (those you agree to when you register your user account) applies to those features as well.

It may be a nice idea to give members the ability to delete messages people have left on their profile.

ah, the ancient tradition of the compulsive 'yoda' in every poll... that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy with nostalgia.

anyway, new features... generally a good thing, as long as the option is there to whether you want to use them or not... and in this case it is, so... er yeah.

Archived