Home

Need some help regarding booting and drives

Seeing as my 10-gig Linux drive is not getting used much, I've come upon the conclusion that it should be formatted and used to store more data from Windows XP. And this is where the problem comes.

I wouldn't hesitate before formatting the three linux partitions on my 10-gig drive, but it turns out that if I do, the GRUB would be killed as well. Now you'd tell me that this is easily solvable! All you have to do is, pop in the Windows XP disk and enter the FIXMBR command. I've tried that many months ago, and I testify that it worked.

The real problem is, my PC can't seem to recognize the Windows XP CD. After putting it in my Sony drive, it "works" for about 20-40 seconds, then blinks intermittently before going into slumber. It doesn't come up in My Computer, so I know it's not getting recognized at all.

I tried a mock-boot with the drive inside (yes, I've already set CDROM as my primary boot device) and it did the same thing. Unable to find a disk, it proceeded to GRUB.

A new idea struck me mind. I went to System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings and ensured that everything under System Startup is checked. I clicked Edit and closed it, to make sure. When I tried booting this time, it ignored the disk as usual, but Grub lasted for only a fraction of a second before proceeding to boot XP.

Now what's going on here, and is it safe? And how do I get rid of Linux & GRUB without hanging my PC? Is there a way to activate FIXMBR or some similar command from within Windows? The mind boggles.

To get rid of GRUB you simply must replace GRUB's MBR with the Windows one. I'm afraid you'll not really get anywhere without using the recovery console and FIXMBR.

While you can add an entry for the XP recovery console to the XP boot menu, you'll need the XP CD for that too.

yes they are... it taken motherboard manufacturers long enough to catch on though... only boards made in the last two years are generally able to boot from a flash drive... and half of them would need to be flashed before they can.

lolz...sivy, why the heck is your name in italics>> is that what happens to deserters who stray back :D

@Sabrez

if you dont want to wear flared pants and grow a mullet to feel at home using a floppy, try the recovery console ISO... cmon Sivy, its 2008 man....floppies are OVER.

direct downlod link to RC iso (7mb) >>> clickatron

mtfbwya

lolz...sivy, why the heck is your name in italics>> is that what happens to deserters who stray back :D

pretty much yeah... means i'm a masterless samurai :D

direct downlod link to RC iso (7mb) >>> clickatron

very useful... i'll take it!

Archived