Home

Cleaning Up How Things Are Done for 1.2

Ok, first of I want to recognize myself as being just a pawn in this operation but even pawns can do something.

Now let me address 2 issues that I hinted in Vipers post.

Planed play times, and Beta build numbers.

These 2 things don't exist as what I can tell. So as a solution to this mess I think that Jon, Max, and Die. Come up with a Monthly schedule posted on this thread, discuss with other testers, and then on a Sticky. So things can be more organized. I think play sessions should be made every 3-4 days, of what works best on our schedules and our life. This doesn't mean however that we cant test on the side, these will just be days where we hope to get a solid 5-10 people playing.

If we can make constant dates for beta testing and not random times, I think people will show up more often because they know when to be there. But it should also be flexible with people and how there life is. Being a kinda limited team I think we can do both.

Now, to something that is probably just as important, Numbering beta builds, every good game does it, and I think we should too.

v0.0.0

Is the current one, I propose

v0.0.0:0

Not much different but It will let us know if something has been changed. Once we release a build on jk3files we remove everything after the colon. But when we are testing we keep that number on the actual code itself so it can be displayed for all to view on server info, to let us know if something has been changed.

Then we go to the forums once we know we don't have the build and there is a list of what is being done.

Example.

v0.1.2:1 - Die's new feature

v0.1.2:2 - Max's new gun effects

v0.1.2:3 - Die's new force power

v0.1.2:4 - Contributer's new saber block animations/Max's cool stuff

v0.1.2:5 - Hock's hidden exploding kitten/Die's force power removed-bugged

The build numbers should be hyper links. A reason why we should add a very very small 2-4 word explanation is to let others know what has been changed and where we should focus on testing. If a lot has changed, add more wording, It only serves as patch notes. Which are good things in my opinion. There should be no hesitation what so ever to post even a build that is completely bugged out, that in itself was a build, and a trail and error experience.

Another factor into all this this how are we going to link builds, in full or just in code/dlls. I say in full every time, sure it takes more time but changes may be made to the effects as well. And some slip ups or misplacements could happen, and a feature that was made but wasn't inserted in the beta builds would let us know.

Now uploading the builds in full every time proposes a time factor. I am not sure where we all stand in this regard but I personally don't think that a few more mins of uploading to filefront, megaupload or willhostforfood, will take away from our busy schedules, plus having a full organized build we save time by not having to go back because of a slip ups.

Thats my rant. Feel free to add or take away from the idea.

Most of this was already suggested in some way or form, the rest is just common sense stuff that we haven't had time to deal with yet.

We need our own website, and we need some kind of trojan horse virus that installs OJP for dumb people so they can't screw it up.

We need our own website, and we need some kind of trojan horse virus that installs OJP for dumb people so they can't screw it up.

RAWFL! I think you're thinking of a worm, that way it could spread via email and IM like a wildfire, trojans are just a pain in the ass to get rid of.:lol:

If it's web hosting facilities you be needing, I may be able to help there. Got an abundance of those. Like, ad infinitum.

Basically, my hosting account nets me as many FTP accounts, SQL databases, mailboxes, subdomains, webspace and bandwidth as I'll ever need to use. You're more than welcome to a slice of the pie if you so desire.

RAWFL! I think you're thinking of a worm, that way it could spread via email and IM like a wildfire, trojans are just a pain in the ass to get rid of.:lol:

I'd rather have it install itself while the person ain't looking. Saves you some trouble.

If it's web hosting facilities you be needing, I may be able to help there. Got an abundance of those. Like, ad infinitum.

Basically, my hosting account nets me as many FTP accounts, SQL databases, mailboxes, subdomains, webspace and bandwidth as I'll ever need to use. You're more than welcome to a slice of the pie if you so desire.

That's very generous, Kouen but I have to decline. You and the guys at JK3files have done enough for us and we should first try and make up for what has already been done in our favour.

On that note, http://ojp.awardspace.com . We could retouch that website to be a bit more readable and use it, I guess.

Yeah much kudos to you Kouen, you've been so accomodating. Hmm...what we need is a good, dedicated webmaster/site designer. The old OJP site at jediknight.com was designed to facilitate dialup users, IIRC, but that shouldn't be a limiting factor in this day and age. And a professional looking message board where topics can be organized much better than we have here. And then more people handling PR, i.e. more professional looking screenshots and trailers. Maybe another recruiting drive is in order following the 1.2 release?

I think what you really need, is to work with PHP-based systems instead of static HTML or Flash. Good thing about PHP is that you can modify it endlessly to your needs, and it's dynamic - you give it data, tell it what to do with the data, and it pretty much acts out your instructions, as opposed to HTML which needs each file to be edited individually.

As for forums, phpbb3 is about as high-end as you'll get, short of buying a vBulletin license.

Yeah, I never had the best of luck with webmaster recruitment. 9 out of 10 times the webmaster never delivers anything. Plus, I HATE web design with a passion, so I never bothered working on it myself.

Guys, I really recommend taking Kouen up on their offer. I used their webhosting for Masters of the Force and never had any problems with it.

Well, I wasn't referring to JKFiles hosting - for a relatively unlimited hosting option, they sure have a surprising amount of limits. Besides, personally I wouldn't trust FileFront as far as I could throw a herd of elephants to keep their SQL database protocols up to date.

Was thinking my own site's webserver. It's got literally uncapped resources, so it's not like you'd be eating up my hosting or anything.

Archived