Home

Deus Ex... for free

Pavlos

Source

That titan of the FPS-RPG genre, Deus Ex will soon be available for free download from the faucets at Gametap. Mark "Coming soon" on your calendars -- I think that means next week but I can't be sure. I'd bookmark this page and check it every day until the download becomes available. Each of your daily checks should last no less than one hour and should involve repetitive tapping of the F5 key.

As every good dark, cyberpunk FPS-RPG should, Deus Ex plunges the player into a political thriller filled with intrigue, betrayal, and subterfuge; so, you know, get it... now. It's the only game that has ever (ever) involved politics and not gotten carried away with how clever it is for doing so.

If you don't like it then there's something wrong with you. I bet you don't even find System Shock 2 scary, do you?

Looks like I'm the one this time, Rhett. I already have a hard copy, so I won't be downloading that advertisement-filled stuff. :D *goes to reinstall*

Deus Ex is the greatest game ever. [/repeated_phrase]

I was wondering the other day if it would be both possible and commercially viable to create a Deus Ex remake that has exactly the same content as the original, but a brand new engine with top-notch graphics and physics. I would have totally loved Invisible War's Havok physics in the original...

I was wondering the other day if it would be both possible and commercially viable to create a Deus Ex remake that has exactly the same content as the original, but a brand new engine with top-notch graphics and physics. I would have totally loved Invisible War's Havok physics in the original...

Well, it seems to have been commercially viable to do a Tomb Raider 1 remake, so who knows? The only problem I see is that Ion Storm's no more, but then again, Deus Ex 3 is being developed so there might be some hope.

I liked the second game better :o

You have just committed the gravest of heresies in my book.

Dues ex is still probably my favorite game, Ive done it vanilla 6 times, hardcore twice, shifter 6, zodiac 8 and hotel Caronne(SP) twice. Im not going to mention redsun, considering I would rather have my limbs ripped off of me 1 by 1 than ever play that completely through. Someone should teach those idiots some level design and debugging

Is the problem that you're too far out from a provider? You could opt for a Sat connection or an internet connection card that uses your cell phone carrier.

The Sat connection will be faster. They're both still kind of expensive. Entry level price is in the $50 neighborhood. I believe both have DL caps.

Why get this game? Personally (and no offense) it doesn't look like that great of a game, I know it's won awards, but those were from 2000 and 2001, also why not get a game with better graphics?

Is the problem that you're too far out from a provider? You could opt for a Sat connection or an internet connection card that uses your cell phone carrier.

The Sat connection will be faster. They're both still kind of expensive. Entry level price is in the $50 neighborhood. I believe both have DL caps.

No Cable or even DSL, though those that live half a mile away can get either. :swear:

Cell phone reception here is spotty at best and satellite was way more than $50.00 the last time I checked, and required the purchase of outrageously expensive equipment up front.

I've been begging the cable and DSL providers to go the extra half mile and provide service to myself and my neighbors for years to no avail. It's been quite frustrating. :(

Why get this game? Personally (and no offense) it doesn't look like that great of a game, I know it's won awards, but those were from 2000 and 2001, also why not get a game with better graphics?
Because graphics aren't everything. In fact, they're what I consider to be the least important factor when choosing a game. Gameplay and plot are far more important than eye candy, IMHO.

So graphics are all that make a game for you? Very sad. Gameplay and story can easily outweigh the importance of graphics and can be rather timeless. The sooner you realize the, the sooner you can start enjoying some really great games that you've missed out on because they're a little old.

Also, because it's FREE. Really, this is a no brainer download and I hope you give it a shot.

Qliveur, I'm running off a sat connection (wildblue). They offer three speed tiers. The entry one is 40-50 bucks a month and would give you about 75Kb/sec download. I'm running the enterprise tier and that's still only like 80 a month.

^^^

That's not bad at all. I'll look into it.

EDIT: I checked and it's a little more expensive here, but not too much. The lowest tier is $55, the middle is $70 and the top is $90. Equipment is $250 and installation is free. Now to decide if I really need it badly enough to justify the expense. I'm paying $6.95/month right now. :p

Why watch the old Star Wars movies, i mean they are so old !!! The special effects is bad if you look at new movies.

And yes, that is irony

Archived