Home

Walking animation fix question.

I am trying to make an animation.cfg for use within SP. I know that one of the basics fixes the walk back animation for the single saber, and was wondering if you would share how you fixed it? And is there any other little glitches I should be on the look out for?

If I release the file I will credit the OJP for helping anyway they can.

I can't remember what jack did to it, but this is what I commented about it a while ago:

//[bUGFIX1]

//BOTH_WALKBACK2 20667 15 0 10

BOTH_WALKBACK2 20667 29 0 10

//[/bUGFIX1]

//This was put back to default, not fixed :(

I can't remember what I ate last night, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

Edit:

ofcourse the obvious has to be stated: other than changing the amount of frames that are played for the animation, nothing was changed. Unless this is something code/gla related that I wasn't informed of.

Thanks so if your numbers aren't correct I can at least attempt to figure it out, if by no other way than trial and error.

Also while going through mod view, I saw that there are some animations for when you character turns he/she will move their feet, like they are turning in place. Any idea if this can be implemented into SP or not?

Lastly, I have chosen some single saber stances, but haven't found any yet for the staff and dual sabers. If anybody has some that they like, could you post the frame number for them and I will give them a shot. If I use any the suggestions I will credit that person in the readme.

Thanks so if your numbers aren't correct I can at least attempt to figure it out, if by no other way than trial and error.

Barring some screw up those numbers are correct. We've had that fix for 4+ years.

Also while going through mod view, I saw that there are some animations for when you character turns he/she will move their feet, like they are turning in place. Any idea if this can be implemented into SP or not?

You can't. Sorry.

Thanks Razorace. I am thinking about changing the 'turning animations' into stances that could be applied within the .sab file. I'll give it a test back home. If it does work that means it could be possible to add additional stances without removing and replacing the regular ones. The only downside is that once you put them in the .sab file you wish, all the stances animations default to that regardless of the style.

If I did get those animations replaced would that hinder MP in anyway? I am making this first for my SP game, but if I'm going to share it I want it to be bug free and as user friendly as possible.

I was going to use the READYANIM command. I have read about it in the .sab readme, and how others have used in their sabers as well. I hope to have a test done this weekend.

If replacing the turning animation doesn't work I had two other ideas: 1) to replace the taunt, victory, and other animations that don't affect the actual flow of the game; 2) to replace SP only animations that are only viewed in the cutscenes. This would be the best for MP but makes the SP cutscenes ugly. But the other way will upset people who use taunts and the such.

Thanks for the info about the SP animations. I am neither a mapper nor a scripter, and would have tried my patience looking for those in Modview.

I found another animation that I cannot place. There is a 'hop' the character can do forward, back, left, and right. I have never seen this done and didn't know if you had any idea about it? It isn't like a jumping hop, more of a quick shuffle step or a skip if you will. If it is not used in SP or MP I may try to replace it as well to allow even more stances to be bound to sabers.

I also bring it up because I have read threads about wishing to roll from standing and moving. If OJP wanted to use this in its place, this would allow a quick evasion at the price of balance or something else. Just tossing the idea out there for you guys to consider.

I found another animation that I cannot place. There is a 'hop' the character can do forward, back, left, and right.

We used to use those for certain dodge behaviors in OJP, but they aren't used in basejka. I'm not sure if it's in OJP anymore or not.

I was hoping to make this mod friendly with other mods, so I may make one that doesn't overwrite those hops so that I can be sure it won't interfer with OJP or others.

This weekend I tested replacing the hops and victory poses and ran into a problem. The .sab file referenced and found the right animation I wanted it too, but no matter what stance I used there was this little seizure of sorts as the animation transitioned from swing to ready_anim. Like a little wiggle. Even when I used the default saber stance values it was still present. For instance replacing BOTH_HOP_F with the blue stance, and then using the blue style, the wiggle was still present. I tried changing a few of the values higher and lower, then I tried changing the frame count, but nothing fixed it. Any ideas what is going on?

It doesn't seem to be trying to go to the original animation exactly. In case of the hop, it is just a torso wiggle, not a whole body shiver. But that is what I was afraid of. If this is the case, then it means that replacing stances will be glitchy. I may go on with the original idea and replace those animations anyways, that way if someone dl's my mod and likes one of those extra stances more than the defaults I choose, they can easily replace them.

Other than that, do you have any suggestions for making something like this compatible with MP mods? Or is it as simple as putting it in the base folder as is? I think that JA+ does animations differently than other mods. At least I've read about people having to do something else I think?

I have never made a video in JA before but I will see if I can. If not I will take some screenshots and post them.

And now that you mention it, yeah I should have remembered that. And just about every MP mod worth its salt changes the animations. Oh well, base JA only I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

I've scrapped the replacing anims idea. It caused quite a few annoying glitches to the default yellow stance. But it did work.

I have two more questions though:

1. Is it possible to combine seperate parts of an animation? I want to combine the two handed walk with the running legs. Or is the only way to do this with Dragon?

2. I want to remove the idle animations for the yellow stance. Are they the STAND2TOIDLE1 and such? It has been awhile since I looked through modview and kinda hoped you guys would know off hand.

If you want to move this thread since it doesn't really pretain to OJP directly, I won't be offended. I'm not trying to steal your thunder or anything, I just wanted your help since you guys have done SP work.

1)

I think you can assign different torso and leg animations through code.

2)

BOTH_Stand2 is the yellow stance I think. Just copypaste the animations that the stand2 uses to all of the **toidle animations and you should be good.

When you say 'through code' do you mean the animation file by itself, using Dragon, or the SP souce code that isn't out? I have seen the reborns sometimes move about with the legs running but the saber held two handed from the walk, but very rarely. It may have even been a glitch.

Thanks for the idle answer! Yes BOTH_stand2 is yellow. This will help me alot.

I mean that, I've seen Darthdie separate torso animations from leg animations. I don't know how he does it, you'd have to ask him.

It's pretty logical to assume that it's possible. I mean, you'd have to make 3 different animations for each torso animation - one for running, one for walking, one for standing still - if this couldn't be done.

So if I find the seperate torso and leg animations I could cut and paste the values I want to switch them up? Sounds good. I have heard about slowing down animations to make breathing effects, would I need to speed up the torso movement to match the legs or would JA adjust the the speed naturally.

Ok, bummer. That task would require Dragon to make a new animation correct? I have always wanted the JK style of holding the saber two-handed while moving. Guess I will have to learn Dragon before that becomes reality.

I want to look for some more dual saber stances, one handed stances, and some 'strong' looking stances. After that I should be done.

Anything else you can think of that I might be able to address?

Archived