Home

Japanese woman caught living in man's closet

Achilles

Link

TOKYO - A homeless woman who sneaked into a man's house and lived undetected in his closet for a year was arrested in Japan after he became suspicious when food mysteriously began disappearing.

Police found the 58-year-old woman Thursday hiding in the top compartment of the man's closet and arrested her for trespassing, police spokesman Hiroki Itakura from southern Kasuya town said Friday.

The resident of the home installed security cameras that transmitted images to his mobile phone after becoming puzzled by food disappearing from his kitchen over the past several months.

Hmmm...sadly I think the happy ending to this story would be if she were found guilty of some heinous Japanese version of trespassing and sentenced to life in prison.

What puzzles me is that it took this guy a full year to catch her.
Unless things have changed drastically over the last few years, the Japanese tend to be very career oriented; putting in long hours, etc. It's possible that this guy was only there long enough to sleep.

Not sure what she would have done on the weekends though :(

Seriously. How does someone not notice for a year? Was it an unused closet? What did she do for a bathroom? A shower? Laundry?
I'd assume from the article that she used the bathroom, showered, and did laundry while he was at work.

Unless things have changed drastically over the last few years, the Japanese tend to be very career oriented; putting in long hours, etc. It's possible that this guy was only there long enough to sleep.

[...]

I'd assume from the article that she used the bathroom, showered, and did laundry while he was at work.

Yeah, that's plausible. In fact, there was this story a while back about people who did the same thing (but for fun...apparently...no, I don't get it either), here in the US, and never get caught.

Not sure what she would have done on the weekends though :(

That's what gets me too. Maybe she only stayed there during the week.

EDIT: Oh, wait a minute. She first got in when he left his place unlocked. So she had to have been in there the whole time (unless she swiped a spare key).

EDIT: Oh, wait a minute. She first got in when he left his place unlocked. So she had to have been in there the whole time (unless she swiped a spare key).
:eyeraise: Take a step back and think about that. What is the last thing you do before leaving a house? Lock the door? How often do you check your windows to make sure they are locked? There are multiple explanations to explain how she got in and out. None that I can think of that can explain a year living there unnoticed.

I feel sorry if there is someone living in my closet as the only food brought into this place is Dr. Pepper and take out. If there is somebody living there they need to clean up a little and they owe me for a quarter of the rent. Oh,… I would also like to thank them for not changing the radio stations and putting the CDs and the DVDs back where they belong.

:eyeraise: Take a step back and think about that. What is the last thing you do before leaving a house? Lock the door?

Er...did you read the article? :p

The woman told police she had no place to live and first sneaked into the man's house about a year ago when he left it unlocked.

Er...did you read the article? :p
Yes!:xp:

Don't you think that if she got in when the man left the door unlocked, that she could leave, during that entire year, when he was at work and unlock a door or window? Once she knew his schedule, she could come and go as she pleased just by leaving a door or window unlocked.

Don't you think that if she got in when the man left the door unlocked, that she could leave, during that entire year, when he was at work and unlock a door or window?

Eh...I check all my doors and windows before I leave, but I'm paranoid like that. :p Also, don't want the rain to come in trough de winders. ;)

Once she knew his schedule, she could come and go as she pleased just by leaving a door or window unlocked.

Well, yes, I'm sure she could step out for a bit of fresh air...but not for two full days.

*takes a step back* Why are we arguing over how she could have slipped in and out unnoticed? :p

She could have taken long weekend to spend with family or friends by leaving a window unlocked. This man was obviously not very observant…she lived there almost a year unnoticed! I’m sure the article would have clarified this, but it sounds like they were married if she went ignored living in the same household, for that long. ;)

Stuff like this happens all the time... at least in this instance all that was hurt was the guys food supply.....not like that sick bastard in Austria who kept his daughter and 'kids' in a secret basement of his house, undetected for many years, with his wife still in the house :(

mtfbwya

Stories like these scare me.

My house is small as a shack, so there's no way that someone could hide and remain undetected.

My history teacher was telling me a story that one time some homeless kids broke in and hid in Buckingham Palace for over a year and didn't get caught.

I don't know if he was being serious or not though...

Woman living in man's closet = Aww probably homeless, lets all hope this has a happy ending.

Man living in woman's closet = Rapist, murderer probably had some sick plot planned, hope he rots in prison.

That is all.

Woman living in man's closet = Aww probably homeless, lets all hope this has a happy ending.

Man living in woman's closet = Rapist, murderer probably had some sick plot planned, hope he rots in prison.

That is all.

Way to keep it real. :)

Archived