Home

Reven or Exile?

Burnseyy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not much. We know that he became Dark Lord of the Sith, underestimated Malak, wound up captured by the Jedi, brainwashed, and eventually defeated Malak. That's it. Revan's motives, goals, desires? Nada. In K1 we learn absolutely nothing about Revan other than he/she was a hero of the Republic-turned Sith Lord. And in K2 we just get vague impressions from people that either didn't know him (Mical, G0-T0, Atton), or were too close to be unbiased (Kreia, Canderous, the Council).

Well, I can't fully agree with that. You get to choose who Revan really is! That is probably why there really isn't a whole lot of information on him. You get to choose who Revan is (personality I guess, light/darkside...). ;)

Well, I can't fully agree with that. You get to choose who Revan really is! That is probably why there really isn't a whole lot of information on him. You get to choose who Revan is (personality I guess, light/darkside...). ;)

No, no, no, no, no, no, no! :xp: It's not like that at all, because...

You don't get to choose who your PC in K1 is. Your PC is Revan. That's it. Once Malak tells you you're Revan, that's who you are. Problem is, we don't know who Revan was, so there's really not much of an impact if you already know (either because you figured it out or if you've played before). There isn't much character development for the PC because the PC isn't a real person. Malak basically tells you "you don't exist". And in K1 we got nothing on who Revan was, not even biased opinions. We get that in K2, so if you play K1 again after playing K2, it might mean something a bit more.

Now, take the Exile. We know who the Exile was. She went against the Council to fight the Mandalorians, did some rather terrible things in the war, and wound up losing her connection to the Force, and afterwards was exiled. Who the Exile was is mostly set in stone; there are a few player choices involved, but for the most part the player is told who the Exile was. Like how the player is told they were Revan. Only difference is that we get more info on who the Exile was, and there are more player choices in K2; in K1 the only major choices were light/dark and romance/no romance.

So while Revan is Revan always, and we don't get much info on Revan (not even until K2, presumably after you've played K1), in K2, who the Exile becomes is up to the player. Their pasts are equally set in stone, however, except that we learn about both pasts in K2, and the Exile's has more detail since K2 is more about the Exile than Revan.

Their pasts are equally set in stone, however, except that we learn about both pasts in K2, and the Exile's has more detail since K2 is more about the Exile than Revan.

Not entirely. The Exile's actions are set in stone, but the reasoning for them is up to the player to decide. There's more than a few dialogues where NPCs ask 'why did you go back and face trial?' 'Why did you join in the Mandalorian Wars?' and other such similar questions.

Despite the Exile not being as disconnected from their past as Revan was, I thought s/he could be personalized far more than Revan was. Yes, you get to determine who s/he becomes like in KotOR I, but unlike with Revan you also get to choose who s/he was. It's a definitely an overlooked part of the game (but then again, most of TSL's best elements were very heavily veiled).

Yes, you get to determine who (the Exile) becomes like in KotOR I, but unlike with Revan you also get to choose who s/he was. It's a definitely an overlooked part of the game (but then again, most of TSL's best elements were very heavily veiled).
Yes. This happens to be one of my favorite features of TSL, and it's one of several things that sets it apart from KotOR1.

Revan and K1, hands down. I very much liked TSL and the Exile, but both are well behind K1 and Revan, IMO. I read all the posts voting for the Exile, and I don't necessarily disagree with them; but Revan's character is much more intriguing to me.

Additionally, it seems as though Revan's character is much more polarizing as well. It's either devoted fanboy or "not enough backstory". The Exile often falls some where in between, it seems.

hmm, perhaps its because i played KOTOR 2 first, and KOTOR 1 second >.>

but i knew more about Revan when i played KOTOR 1, because of this.

but I have to agree with the person who said the side missions are more personal. the ones in KOTOR2 are so cliche and 'i love my friends' or whatever!

i do agree KOTOR2s storyline was better, but it was so weirdly confusing and had loads of mistakes in it, for it to be considered as good as KOTOR1.

All in all, i think Revan was the best, because you don't know who he is, until the end, and thats a real :o what?!

however, as the exile, you know who everyone is. i mean, there's kreia, but thats SOO obvious what she is.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the exile more, but if he hadnt had gone into hiding during the Jedi Civil War \/\/

would he have had a big influence on the outcome since he was a wound in the force?

And it's interesting how much the story changes by putting Revan as a woman and playing the exile as a man, or vice versa.

• 4 weeks later...

My vote is for the Exile. S/he has a stronger personality and a much more defined past. I could not sympathize with Revan because he ultimately became the Dark Lord. The Exile has been through much more and has good reason to choose the DS. I could understand why the Council were the 'bad guys.' It's not that they're evil, but so arrogant that they're dangerous.

I like the Exile because I could respect the person she was. Although Revan was a leader, I didn't like him as much as Characters with a tragic past. The greatest jedi are not Bastila, Revan, Vandar, or Vrook. They are Juhani, Yuthura Ban, and the Exile.

...even though Juhani was mentally unstable, Yuthura Ban quit the Jedi Order shortly after joining it, and the Exile was a murderous parasite who fed off of other people and sowed destruction wherever she/he went (regardless of alignment).

That makes a lot of damned sense.

Juhani suffered great injustices, but was still able to turn back to the light. She was ashamed that she fell, despite all the reasons for her to be angry and hateful. It was because she fell that she would actively keep from falling again.

Yuthura Ban believed anger and hate were what allowed her to escape Sleheyron and kill Omeesh. She quit the order because she had been so dependent on her anger that she believed the jedi were restraining her. She also wanted to use the force to fight slavery. It wasn't until Revan asked 'has anything changed?' that she realized that it wasn't fighting slavery that she wanted. All she wanted was to escape the pain of her memories. (At least that's what I believe)

As for the Exile... she had the force stripped from her and was the scapegoat of Revan's defiance. Despite everything she had been accused of, she never let her anger get the best of her. It was also because she was a leader that she set an example for all who followed her. As Master Vash and ZKE stated... she did the right thing by acting for what she knew was right.

You don't get to choose who your PC in K1 is. Your PC is Revan. That's it. Once Malak tells you you're Revan, that's who you are. Problem is, we don't know who Revan was, so there's really not much of an impact if you already know (either because you figured it out or if you've played before).

Not entirely. The same thing happens in K2. You don't get to 'choose' your PC in K2. You are the Exile You learn that from the very beginning. We also really don't know exactly who the Exile is either. In K1 there was no hint that there was "the Exile". In K1 you know that there was Revan, and in K2 you know that there was Revan. We don't know all that much about the Exile in K2 without you choosing who she really is. You get the chance to justifiy why you made the choices that you did. You get to choose your path in both of the games. One just captures that choice a lot better. *cough* K2 *cough*

Now, take the Exile. We know who the Exile was. She went against the Council to fight the Mandalorians, did some rather terrible things in the war, and wound up losing her connection to the Force, and afterwards was exiled. Who the Exile was is mostly set in stone; there are a few player choices involved, but for the most part the player is told who the Exile was. Like how the player is told they were Revan. Only difference is that we get more info on who the Exile was, and there are more player choices in K2; in K1 the only major choices were light/dark and romance/no romance.

That is also true to an extent. Yes, we know what happened to the Exile, but we also know what happened to Revan. ;)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
We know that he persuaded some of his fellow Jedi to join him in the Mandalorian Wars. We know that he became a Sith Lord, with Malak at his side. We know that Malak turned on him. We know that he participated in the Jedi Civil War. We know that Malak turned on him. We know that the Jedi Council erased his mind, ect...

And that K2 was the sequal to K1. ;)

So while Revan is Revan always, and we don't get much info on Revan (not even until K2, presumably after you've played K1), in K2, who the Exile becomes is up to the player. Their pasts are equally set in stone, however, except that we learn about both pasts in K2, and the Exile's has more detail since K2 is more about the Exile than Revan.

As I said, you get to choose your path in both of the games. In one of them you get the chance to justifiy your actions. I do agree that K2 has a lot more detail about the Exile, than K1 did about Revan. But I think that that is because it is a sequal. It will be different. I guess that is the best way that I could explain it. :giveup:

The thread is alive again. :sweat:

Juhani suffered great injustices, but was still able to turn back to the light. She was ashamed that she fell, despite all the reasons for her to be angry and hateful. It was because she fell that she would actively keep from falling again.

Yuthura Ban believed anger and hate were what allowed her to escape Sleheyron and kill Omeesh. She quit the order because she had been so dependent on her anger that she believed the jedi were restraining her. She also wanted to use the force to fight slavery. It wasn't until Revan asked 'has anything changed?' that she realized that it wasn't fighting slavery that she wanted. All she wanted was to escape the pain of her memories. (At least that's what I believe)

As for the Exile... she had the force stripped from her and was the scapegoat of Revan's defiance. Despite everything she had been accused of, she never let her anger get the best of her. It was also because she was a leader that she set an example for all who followed her. As Master Vash and ZKE stated... she did the right thing by acting for what she knew was right.

I think you are confusing the term "good person" with the term "good Jedi".

Archived