Home

Ah, we live on! Excellent! :D

Hikaru

Seeing other people viewing the forum threads brought a smile to my face.

That's rad that there's an active Grim Fandango community here. :D

How are you all? When did you first play the game? :]

just fine, first played the game around the date I joined this forum. I was an ass at first due to stress at school while playing, but I overcame the frustration and now I try to be as kind as I can to the people around here.

Hello! :)

Two years before your first post might be the longest I've seen yet. :D Good to see another Grim Fandango fan out there though, and indeed this is the finest place for those of us who still keep the dream alive.

I first played it when I was much younger, back in 1998. It's remained at the top of any 'best games ever' list I've ever made since. :)

Hi

This is the first time I have ever posted in any forum on the internet, I never had a need to before however a few weeks ago I found this forum and was surprised that grim fandango still had such a following.

Over the past few weeks I think I must of read every thread on here to see what people have been talking about over the past years, and I have to agree with the OP that it is excellent to see people still discussing this great game over 10 years later.

I got grim fandango when it first came out and it has been my favourite game ever since, I cant remember what initially drew me to the game I think it was just a case of been a fan of adventure games and a fan of monkey island, what ever the reason though I’m glad I didn’t miss out on experiencing this game.

I came late to the party because I only played GF in 2003. I was in a game store with my little brother and he wanted to get the game because he thought the cover was interesting. I remember telling him how stupid it looked like and how the game would no doubt suck. The image of Manny holding the DOD flyer made me think it would be some kind of sales simulator in which you have to keep selling more stuff to becomer richer and get better jobs etc. :D

My brother never really played the game because he couldn't speak English at the time, so the game was stored away and forgotten. He only took it out some time later when he had formatted his computer and realised that he couldn't re-install most of his games because he had lost the discs. I happened to walk by when he was talking with Eva in the beginning of the game, and I was sold on the spot. The writing was so hilarious.

GF remains my favourite game of all-time, though I'm no longer as active in the community as I used to be.

I haven't really been active on this forum. But sometimes the wonder that is Grim Fandango overwhelms me, and now I have to speak. I'm currently listening to the music (Temple Gate atm), and it surprises me that some of the best music I know of is found in a game. But the music is just one part of it, it's just so beautiful and great altogether, that I'm almost surprised people aren't swooning over it everywhere on the internet. But then I realise the game is 11 years old, and hasn't really been that popular...

I actually remember first playing the demo. It was when I was in 5th grade, must have been in 98/99, on the computer of a guy who needed a PC at school to help him with his dyslexia. All of the guys used to sit with him in the breaks, playing games and stuff. I think I had got the disc with the demo from my uncle, but couldn't play it at home, because it was a sucky computer with 3.1. I don't remember when I first played the whole game. Must have been when I borrowed the game from a friend in 02/03. I played a lot of LucasArts-classics for the first time around that time). He hadn't finished it, because of a glitch in the game, with the crane by the end of the world I think. I played it together with my sister. Or at at least we started playing it together. But eventually she was so hooked that she finished it before I had left Rubacava. I loved it. I haven't played it that many times. I like to forget as much as possible from time to time. But I have a bad memory. I remember too well. Played it 2 1/2 times, I guess. But it remains my favourite game. Or maybe it's Monkey Island 2, I always have problems choosing :p

• 2 months later...

hi and welcome =)

i bought it when it came out in 1998. We had a new computer then and just about good enough to play the game. We had some installation problems so a nice guy from the store we bought it from came over fixed the problems and installed it.

good 'ol days!

Yeah my neighbor got the PC Gamer issue that had the demo on it back in 98 when i must have been about 8 or 9. We only finished it due to the walkthrough included in the magazine, I then got it for my dad for his birthday in december that year. It was a double edition and had toonstruck with it.

I got the game from a friend who got it with his new pc 10 years ago. He told me he didnt like it. When i started to play it i was sold! I have never been much of a fanatic gamer but i found the game so intriguing that i played it 3 times in a row until the end! If theres ever going to be a remake they should let the music in place because it creates an unique atmosphere. One i still can enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing Grim Fandango for the first time in a PC Gamer Top 100 list, I'm sure it was in the top 5. I thought it must of been pretty good, but thought little of it at the time. Years later I played a demo of it round a friend's house and loved it. Luckily I managed to get my copy in August 2004 off of Amazon and it's been one of my favourite games ever since. Hmmm, I need to play through it again :)

I got GF when it had a few years on it already, so I'm going to guess 2000-2001ish. IIRC I got it from a Software, Etc. branch in our local mall. It was in the discount bin since it was getting dated and the box cover caught my eye and it thought it looked kind of cool so I got it.

• 3 weeks later...

I first saw the game On the TV when they were reviewing it saying it’s the best game they have come across for some time i am not 100% but it got me hooked so I got a copy of the demo from a pc mag

I was hooked and got a full version the following week and played it right through in a week or so I remember the old pc I played it on it took ages to install and nearly filled my hard drive right up but it was worth the wait as I was amazed at the graphics.

I remember that was the game that made all other console games look dated at the time.

I have just got the game out and reinstalled it after 5 years and i am on year 3 now and i am enjoying every second of it also it takes me back to when I first got it.

What’s amazing is the screenshots are like new games and better even after all these years it blows my mind.

I would love Lucas arts to make a grim 2 to see if they could do a prequel even better than the first for the growing number of fans

After installing the game I decided to go online to see if there was anything about the game and I found this forum i am amazed at the number of others who think the same I thought it was just me but I was wrong

• 1 month later...

I played the game back in 2001/2002 when I was 8 or 9 years old. I was looking for Curse of monkey island at a video game store with my sister, and the clerk didnt have it so he said to try GF. We bought it and I didnt play it probably cuz i was pissed at not getting CMI, I saw my sister playing it the next day, and I got hooked. Its been quite a while since then and I have already played the game over 15 times now....I dont know why but I just HAVE to finish the game at least twice per year. I've always wished for a sequel or prequel or anything at all. But what Im hoping for the most is a port to the next gen consoles with updated graphics and an updated GRIME. Everything about the game is so attractive and I think every gamer should give it a try. I was so strungout on the game that I searched the web on anything about GF. And so I came here, probably one of the best forums ever, although I'm not active at all lol ;P

Archived