Home

Failure to Release Inner Nerd...

Well, I did it again. I let another Star Wars nerd moment slip through my fingers. I don't think anybody I know knows that I like Star Wars, except for a few close friends XD. I'm afraid to let the general public know, because I don't want to be pegged for a nerd for the rest of my life. @_@

Anyways, today in Spanish class we were learning words for telling stories, specifically science fiction stories. I don't know how my teacher got into it, but he said Harrison Ford... y.... Y.... y... Gweneth Paltrov son... estrellas.

WHAT?!! He thinks GWENETH PALTROV played PRINCESS LEIA??!! I sat there grinding my teeth, biting my tongue, not letting myself slip up and say, Uh, no it's actually Carrie Fisher... Oh well, maybe next time I'll let my inner nerd shine through. XD

Have any of you ever had an experience like this? We realy need to learn to just be ourselves... XD

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have any of you ever had an experience like this?

Yes, probably a few. But there's one that sticks out.

Three years ago in religion class we started talking about morality and ethics and my teacher brought up what Yoda said in Episode 1: "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering", anyway he couldn't remember the whole quote so I had to help him :p which of course bewildered my classmates.

You need to let your inner nerd fly. It's not healthy to hold that stuff in. ;)

So what if you like Star Wars? If you liking Sci-Fi is a deal breaker for any of your friends or peers, well, odds are that you don't want anything to do with that sort in the first place. I suppose that being an electronics engineer I may as well have the word "GEEK" tattooed across my forehead but I never really try to hide it anyways. I'm not really outwardly geeky. You can't tell just from looking at me. Rest assured though, if someone mentions Star Wars I'm yelling out a woot.

Life isn't nearly as fun if you're constantly worried about being yourself. :)

2 things:

1. Don't care what anybody thinks of you. Thats how I live life, and it makes me feel better than those idiots who make themselves be who what other people want them to be. I laugh at them, as well as feeling sorry for them.

2. Knowing Star Wars facts is as useless as someone else knowing Football/Soccer facts. Seriously, whats the difference between having an obsession with an entirely different new galaxy than with a sport? It's not like they can write fan fiction about sport, but you can about Star Wars. So you got the better end of that deal.

You need to let your inner nerd fly. It's not healthy to hold that stuff in. ;)

:lol: Rhett, you are one funny guy.... :lol:

I let the entire school know that I had watched all 6 Star Wars in one day when I was on homecoming court in high school and they asked for an interesting fact about me. Beat that.

Wow. Where they at all shocked?

I have not had anything like that happen to me yet. I just remembered. Ha, in my computer class, we had to make a movie on something that we liked. One person in the class chose Star Wars. He went through all of the movies in the saga, but put the pictures in the wrong episodes. For example, he put a stormtrooper picture on the section for Episode II (AOTC). I said that that was not cannon. I guess that he didn't quite understand, so I just stopped talking. :D

Like the others said, be yourself, so far it hasn't harmed me ('cept for the time I woke up in a hospital where no one spoke english:D)

Besides, most geeks are male, most males want their girlfriend to have the same interests as them, you get the picture:D

Yeah, I tend to keep my Inner Nerd in his cage. I shouldn't, but I care about how people think about me. It's one of my flaws, and one I'd like to get rid of as soon as possible. I don't think any of my friends know how much of a Star Wars geek I really am, except for that one time when I had bought some SW novels and ran into a friend of mine. SHould've seen the look on his face. :p

I'm a massive Star Wars Geek!! but thats where it ends, I lack the other traits of geeks, intelligence, useful knowledge etc, so I slip under the Radar :)

I did have one of the guys who works for me come around my house to finalize some paper work, he came into my room and noticed all the comics, novels, Essential, guides posters and Replica Sabers. He turned as if to laugh, but then remembered I'm 6'3 and 225 lbs, and he's 5'6 and 120lbs lol

I get rage when people like Ewan McGregor and Harrison ford mock Star Wars and there Characters in interviews, and when quiz questions on TV are wrong, but I don't let it bother me too much, Although Jae Onasi's 5 levels of canon thingy gets my blood pumpin, when she brings that out! :p

I pretty much suppressed my geekness through school and there was many times when I overheard kids talking about star wars and I desperately waited get involved… especially when they saying stuff that was just wrong. But when I went to college to study IT I was amongst my kind and was able to geek out without any fear of ridicule.

I've never hidden my love of Star Wars and sci-fi from anyone, ever. When new friends come to my house and see the mountain of action figures, they do get a shock lol, but I'm proud to be a 'geek'.

Yeah, don't let anyone get to you about that stuff. People who put peer pressure on you for that are very ignorant.

Maybe I'll list a few of my nerd moments...

One time, my friend and I were having a sleepover. We got into an argument over what Boba Fett's name was. My friend said Bobo Fett, I said Boba Fett. He didn't beleive me until I showed him one of my Boba fett books, and after that, he said I was a total nerd. :lol:

One time, at my old elementary school , all the computers had been somehow seriosuly messed up. even our computer teacher didn't know what to do. Then I took a whack at it. I put the computers in safe mode, (All 12 of them) and was able to track down a programming conflict causing the computers to crash in normal mode. I then uninstalled the program conflicting in the computers. So, after that, I got an A+ in computer class for the rest of the semester, and my friends kept calling me a nerd for a few weeks...

You shouldn't really care what other people think about you, but if I ever say something like that, most people at my school know I'm a half-nerd already.

WHAT?!?! AND TURN DOWN THE FAME AND RICHES?!?!?!

I like the sound of that! ;)

I have to concentrate on hiding the kind of video games I play more than just Star Wars in general. If any conversations about them ever come up, I never mention any kind of Star Wars game. The only game any of my friends know I play is Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

It's strange. They don't think making a fool out of yourself with plastic guitars and drums is nerdy, but Star Wars? The epitome of geekdom.

Lot's of people I know don't like Star Wars or have never seen it... :xp:

C'mon.. How could you have never seen Star Wars? It's like a cultural phenomina (sp?).

WHAT?!?! AND TURN DOWN THE FAME AND RICHES?!?!?!

ROTFLOL, maybe next time a Star Wars moment comes up... I'll jump into it.

(lol, I remembered another one, my history teacher compared the Dali Lama.. I said something to the vein of "Yeah, Lucas actually did base Yoda off the Dali Lama, as well as Eienstien..." Sure I got some looks but... meh. :emodanc:

Archived