Home

Euro 08

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well,well…at last there is something good to talk about :)

It’s been a long time since my last visit to the forum, so this is the reason why my first post is in page7, however, let’s get into the subject…

As a huge fan of Real Madrid I supported its players teams, mostly Netherland and Spain (especially Spain). Nevertheless, as a Syrian, Turkey also got my attention and my full support, in fact most of the Syrians chose to support Turkey in E08, and you have to admit they did a great job.

Arsjavin (Russia) - Arsenal, FC Barcelona, Chelsea

Lahm (Germany) - FC Barcelona

Zhirkov (Russia) - Inter Milan

Aurélio (Turkey) - Real Betis

Christiano Ronaldo - NO Real Madrid (the little b*astard...)

Lahm has renewed his contract with Bayern Munchen, and with Barca signing Dani Alves, I believe that such move is highly unlikely. Zhirkov is wanted by Juventus as well, and his countryman Arshavin I think he’ll prefer a Barca move. As for C.Ronaldo, the kid is the media’s main subject and rumors are still foggy and contradicting, and if you ask me my opinion, I’d say leave Ronaldo to his team and buy Quaresma, after all none is worthy of 90 M spending.

Arshavin is talented, but who wants inconsistency in their team... he was woeful against spain, really woeful :(

mtfbwya

I think that it was more due to Spain playing so well, and especially Senna that stopped him playing well. No player can play well in every game, especially when starved of the ball. Think how well Kaka was marshalled a few years ago in the Champions League final by Mascherano. Arshavin can improve in that area, and it's too son to judge if he is inconsistent, though often match winners can be.

My team (I’d rather go with 4-2-3-1)

GK: Casillas

DF: Ramos, Puyol, Pepe, Lahm

MF: Modric, Ballak, Senna, Sneijder, Cesc

FW: Villa

(Subs: Buffon, Arda Toran, Hamit Altintop. Robben, Deco, Chellini, Rakitic.)

I agree with jonathan7 concerning Arshavin, he was given too much of a space in the matches against Netherland and Sweden, and that’s all what an average playmaker require to show a good performance. However, it was way too different against Spain. The guy is 27, and he still plays in Russia, even though its quite obvious he’s leaving after the Euro. Still I believe that the media played a great part in monitoring his talent, while in my opinion, a youngester like Paveliuchenko (not sure how to spell it) should get more attention due to his young age and his talent that made him a hot prospect even for teams like Real Madrid and Arsenal before the Euro starts.

As for the italian team I don’t think one should worry about them that much--- first because I hate them :), second because they do have quality players. If we take a closer look at their team we’ll see that they still have good players but to benefit from their potential they have to change their formation first, getting rid of the midfield trio (playing with one pivot and two supporting CMFs) in exchange with double pivots, preferably Aquilani and De Rossi (Roma) as the two has formed a solid partnership in the midfield last year. In the defense they also have Chellini who had a great season with Juventus and showed a solid performance in the Euro especially in the match against Spain, and don’t forget Maldini Junior who will be regulated to Milan’s first team next season. Up front there are Rossi (Villareal, formerly Man Utd), Borriello (AC Milan), and Amauri (new Juventus player), however the latter is Brazilian but hasn’t play for his national team yet and there were rumors in Italy talking about granting him an Italian Nationality. What I’m saying is with these good potentials compined with the more expert ones such as Del Piero, Pirlo, Buffon, Cassano…etc and under Lippi’s management Italy still have a strong team.

VIVA LA ESPANA!! Congrats to Spain :p

Boo! to a another uninspiring performance by Ballack & friends. If Turkiye were in the final instead, we may not have won, but we would have kept trying! No heart from Germany... playin crap and scoring no goals, they must be trying to emulate Italy perhaps ?? :p

*Proudly wears Spain top and Turkiye scarf for the rest of the week* <<teams of the the tourney IMO.

mtfbwya

I'm glad Germans didn't win, and they wouldn't have deserved it anyway. Indeed, no heart from Germany. And Spain was wonderful throughout the tournament. They fully deserve the trophy. They played beautifully and were well organized. Bravo to Spain. :clap2:

Anti-Football has no rights!! Germany, you better start playing better football, or else your goin nowhere.

And a brilliant goal by Torres, just outmuscles Lahm and little lob over Lehmann, perfect. Spain showed that they have no need for Villa, and can function well without him.

viva espania!!!

it's that simple, casillas told his mates before the game: "lets go nd play football', Ballak told his mate: "lets run, dive and protest." and in the end Spain won their second title. I agree that it would've been different it were aganist Turkey. however, it was a good game from Spain side.

Overall, the tourney has been a decent one. Some teams have reached their expiry date - like France and Italy, and many youngsters have shone through and will find themselves in new contracts with great clubs.

what is great is that WC qualifiers are about to start up again.... The location of the next WC, in South Africa is going to make it a WC like no other.... Hopefully, an African team can get up and win it this time too :)

mtfbwya

Xavi player of tournament + Uefa's official squad; http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3757426,00.html Quite how Boruc isn't in it mystifies me.

Interesting fact... Brazil are the only team to have won the tournament on a content not their own. Unfortunately I think Africa teams still don't have enough collective quality to win the WC yet. Ivory Coast, would be the most likely winners though.

Finaly the right team wins, and they knocked out Russia too, bonus:D

Will probably head to SA, not really into football, but it'll be good to return to the mother city. I am however a bit worried if the ANC overlords will be able to get things ready in their own cities (reason: corruption, pain the ass beurocracy), nevermind not screwing Cape Town (reason: poor loosers). Anyway, here's hoping Bfana Bfana put up a fight before dropping out.

Interesting fact... Brazil are the only team to have won the tournament on a content not their own.
Heh. Never knew that. It's interesting indeed. Anyway, I also think that the African teams aren't ready yet to win a WC. I thought Cameroon was really good a few years back, but that seems to be over.

Sorry should of been continent - I guess you gathered what I meant though :)

Well its a fact all the idiot commentators forget, I remember at the World Cup in 06; people were making a real big deal that Brazil had only one the trophy once in Europe - and I was sat there thinking; yeah but they are the only team to have won it on a continent not their own and they have done that twice; Sweeden '58 and Japan/S. Korea '02.

As such my money is on them to win SA 2010. I think Argentina will win the WC when its hosted in Brazil in 2014 - that's unless the continental hodoo is overcome.

I expected Germany would at least continue on the road Klinsmann set. The one with the attractive football.

They didn't show it yesterday, and imo, don't deserve to win then. Even so, they were lucky it didn't out to be a greater defeat.

I recall Lehman coming out of the goal to face Torres, who came 5 centimeters short of ligting the ball. Would have been 2-0 then. Not to mention the opportunity Senna was given... :)

And last; Spains coach dared. Taking Fabregas out? Löw had to do the same with Ballack, who was obviously suffering from the injury. Taking Torres to the side to throw in a fresh new striker? Torres who was doing fine? I say it's brilliant and daring coaching.

Brazil's and Argentina's reign is over. The Euro is much harder then WC, cauze weak teams like China, Koreea, Ghana, Ecuador etc ( teams from Africa,Asia,Eastern part of South Americ, Central America)...

I expected Germany would at least continue on the road Klinsmann set. The one with the attractive football.

They didn't show it yesterday, and imo, don't deserve to win then. Even so, they were lucky it didn't out to be a greater defeat.

I recall Lehman coming out of the goal to face Torres, who came 5 centimeters short of ligting the ball. Would have been 2-0 then. Not to mention the opportunity Senna was given... :)

And last; Spains coach dared. Taking Fabregas out? Löw had to do the same with Ballack, who was obviously suffering from the injury. Taking Torres to the side to throw in a fresh new striker? Torres who was doing fine? I say it's brilliant and daring coaching.

100% agree.

Same for my national, Piturca, the coach, never dared in the EURO. He played an anti-play game in the match against France... In the match against Italy, he let our best striker Adrian Mutu- which has suffered multiple shocks before the match: he's grandmother died, and Abramovichi putted him under trial, and he has to pay 12 mil. euros to Chealse- to take a penalty, because he didn't dare to let somebody else. Mutu failed to score from penalty, and the match finished 1-1. If Mutu scored the match would have ended 2-1 for us, thus we were qualified for the Quarters... But no, no, let the star take the shot, does it matters that he is in NO mental condition to PLAY? OF COURSE NOT!!!

Brazil's and Argentina's reign is over. The Euro is much harder then WC, cauze weak teams like China, Koreea, Ghana, Ecuador etc ( teams from Africa,Asia,Eastern part of South Americ, Central America)...

So basically if they're not from Europe (the "powerhouses" of soccer/football) they suck?

How on earth are Brazil and Argentina's reign over? Evidence? Check out the world rankings for a start, besides they still produce the best players. Kaka, Messi, Sergio Aguero, Pato, Mascherano, Dani Alaves... Must I really go on?

The Euro may have a continual higher standard of opposition, but I assure you, if Brazil and Argentina were in Euro 04 Greece never would have won. Besides, all the Euro's really did show was that Portugal are over rated, lack a striker, a defensive midfielder or an ability to defend set pieces, France and Italy are past it, Holland did the hard work, and then lost to a team they should have beaten but whatever the reason they lost too. Brazil beat Russia 1-0 in Russia in their last friendly about a year ago - the only team Brazil or Argentina would be concerned about from Europe is Spain...

Archived