Home

Do you think Luke and Princess Leia should have been brother and sister?

Jedil3thal

• 2 months later...

I think Luke and Leia being siblings was a good way to end any notion of them being paired up romantically, which would have been a bore but something that would have gained some support anyways (shipping being what it is). It does feel a little contrived in RotJ but I can't really imagine it any other way.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think no. If it had been planned from the start that would have been fine and if it was reflected in the movies, that'd be great. Instead, it seems like a slapped together plot device to clumsily resolve the "love triangle" between Luke, Leia and Han Solo. From the start it was made that both Luke and Han were attracted to Leia but that she was more attracted to Luke, because he was a nice guy. I have no problem with the idea of Luke going the celibate Jedi route and Han Solo ending up as her man. It's the way it was done that was shabbily put together IMHO.

Now this is not something I wondered or worried about as a kid, because I remembered seeing ROTJ first (and it's still my hands down favorite of the series), and I didn't even see ESB until years later. It was the movie I had seen the least of the three in fact, so it was not fresh in my mind. So I started out with the idea of Luke and Leia as brother and sister (before this I presumed they were just good friends not people who were attracted to one another).

Now that it's clear Lucas didn't really have it all planned out in advance, I feel vindicated in disliking how it all turned out. The "cringes" when people watch the ESB scene of Luke and Leia kissing and somebody says "ignorance is bliss!" in the audience, that's all Lucas's fault (and not Kershner's or Kurtz's... because after all, Lucas could have overridden any of their ideas and won easily enough). "Always intended" is just a rationalization that we've seen time and again. There's even a quote somewhere of Lucas saying that "kisses represent sex" in the Star Wars movies in response to someone asking him why there wasn't any of that sort of thing in the series so far (predictably, a quote made before ROTJ existed). Shortsighted and embarrassing to hear now!

So now we're "stuck" with them being fraternal siblings rather than just a guy and a gal who met under fortuitous circumstances and had a bit of a thing before they went their separate ways (played by actors eight years apart in age).

I don't think it really "enhances" the story to have everyone related to everyone else as if it's a small town rather than a whole galaxy, but Lucas seems to have disagreed and gone that route over the years. So now in the mythos Anakin built C3PO, R2D2 worked closely with him and Obi-Wan and was his wife's personal droid, Anakin was raised in the same home as Luke, Chewbacca and Yoda were wartime buddies, Boba Fett's dad was the template for the stormtroopers, and so on. Lucas now prides himself on how the original trilogy is recreated in the prequels almost taking a hint from James Cameron. Makes me wonder what will happen with the new series.

So anyway, I think if you're going to create a story and then create a love triangle, resolving it through a plot device like this is just lazy. Don't create the false tension in the first place if you're just going to hand wave it away with something goofy like this. Anybody see "Frozen"? Maybe I'm not the target demographic for that movie, but it had a similar type of nonsense resolution for a love triangle (turn one of the guys into a villain out of nowhere). But at least that was in the course of one self-contained movie, rather than a trilogy like this.

There are ways that the love triangle could have been resolved without something like this. You don't have to kill off a character (as was rumored to be Harrison Ford's wish at one point). Nor do you have to turn one of them evil or something. They don't have to fight a duel to see who wins. Nobody has to have their gonads blown off in a battle. A prince doesn't need to show up and Leia has to marry him for political reasons. Nobody needs to turn out to be gay. Nothing to do with clones, droids or time travel.

No, a simple solution was already proposed within ROTJ itself. "You love him, don't you? I understand. Fine. When he comes back.. I won't get in the way." One character decides that his love is so great for the other, he's willing to let her go for the guy she really wants. It's bitter-sweet but it works and that sort of thing happens in real life. So it could have worked out differently. We only accept it now because Lucas said so and the passage of time. I love ROTJ but even I can admit it has flaws. Lucas took a big risk with the "father" thing and rewriting the Vader character in the second movie, but that paid off, unfortunately this did not. ROTJ was there to tie up loose ends but it didn't do so in a satisfactory way here.

Yes, they really should. It fits the story and it makes it more original. There are enough films with this main-heroes-fall-in-love-thing out there:) Also, Solo is really cool!

Agree.Normally in movies it can be predicted when one boy likes another girl and in the end they will either get together or one of them will die or something tragic can happen but with the Original Trilogy it's not the same and it has been done carefully and with finesse. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Im glad Luke & Leia were brother & sister it would not worked with Han in the picture it kinda makes me sick to think otherwise could you imagine... ok back to this Luke & Mara were a good fit because they both had a strange start to their lives with Mara being taken from her parents from a young age & Luke raised as a farm boy while his father runs rampant through the galaxy & his mother dead Mara & Lando would never have worked anyway Leia & Han's chemistery suited the story despite him kidnapping her then her marrying him that kiss on the millenium falcon by far better than the one on Hoth as of Leia making Han jealous I think George Lucas go it right. I doubt there will be much love in EP7 I hope Han & Leia have been practising the kissing scene hahahaha

But keep in mind the Mara Jade character didn't even exist until the 1990's when Timothy Zahn wrote his spin-off novels. Sure, you could just introduce any new character to be the love interest for either man, if you just wanted all three of them to "have someone." Heck the EU set up other love interests for the characters after the movies, it just so happens that this one was chosen to be Luke's. There are plenty of ways to do that. This is just what happens when you have only one major female character and set her up with two male leads over two movies, then rush to wrap it up in the third.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're talking about a fictional relationship, so it could have been written to work (or if you meant the characters living or dying, same deal). How many thought Han and Leia would "last"? Anything is possible. Maybe on the surface it's a choice between the flirty badboy and the charming niceguy with the princess, but all it takes is to write in the development of their relationship throughout the trilogy in a different way than was done. Then again, they could have had it "not work" too, but the general "movie happy ending" is that two lovers have to have it "work" in the end. Relationships can go any direction when you have a long-drawn out storyline (as in a series, the EU, etc). Then again too much of that sort of thing and you turn into a soap opera. ;P

Well, we're talking about a fictional relationship, so it could have been written to work (or if you meant the characters living or dying, same deal). How many thought Han and Leia would "last"? Anything is possible. Maybe on the surface it's a choice between the flirty badboy and the charming niceguy with the princess, but all it takes is to write in the development of their relationship throughout the trilogy in a different way than was done. Then again, they could have had it "not work" too, but the general "movie happy ending" is that two lovers have to have it "work" in the end. Relationships can go any direction when you have a long-drawn out storyline (as in a series, the EU, etc). Then again too much of that sort of thing and you turn into a soap opera. ;P
Well there relationship never changed when they got married they was fighting she matured when she had three kids sadily Jaina only lived to see it, Han's fall came when Chewie died it split the family for a short time, Luke & Mara had to step in a few times thats what family was for I wonder which chapter of their lives will they reveal in ep7.

• 3 weeks later...

That's fine, but there we're talking about what the EU writers did on their own (with Lucas's permission of course) after those plot points had been laid out. People may have a hard time now but just because they can't imagine what things were like before ROTJ had been made. Earlier on, Leia wasn't Luke's sister.Earlier still, he didn't even have a sister. So anything was possible.

All we had was one movie where two male characters were interested in a female character, with one of them seeming to charm her more (the "nice guy") and the other being more aggressive (the "bad boy"). So in the end the "love triangle" was just a tease. It went nowhere and was resolved with a "twist" that we all accept now, but felt clumsy and last-minute. I admit the "if you will not be turned to the dark side... then perhaps she will" moment was great, but that could have been done many other ways. Luke simply feeling protective of Leia (or his sister, or whomever is revealed as having force ability) is all it really takes to make that scene work. We know Luke is the type of character who cares about people who aren't in any way related to him (or he just met!).

I wonder if his ''caring'' nature will be seen in this one Luke is seen his sixties at this period following Mara's death on Kavan Luke was cold to everyone around him including Leia although she used her sisterly approach to break down this barrier of darkness inside them I doubt this would have been easy had they been a love interest people do change as they get older when they were younger there was not as much loss & pain (expect for Luke's aunt & uncle's death) off course Im still glad they kept them as brother & sister it would have been sad to have seen Han cast out.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt much, if any, of the past EU will factor into the new movies since let's face it... most people who go to see the movies won't have kept up with all of the novels, comics and games over the years detailing the complicated relationships of these characters. They'll cater to people who have seen the film trilogies (or at least vaguely remember the originals). If they're playing on nostalgia, the hook will be the old cast, and chances are they won't mess with expectations too much.

This will probably be less like Indiana Jones 4 and more like Star Trek Generations, in terms of the old cast stepping aside and passing the torch to the new.

So if suddenly Luke, Leia and Han are radically different characters (aside from their obviously having aged 30+ years since we saw them last), it would take a lot of explaining which would eat up screen time needed to develop the new cast and lead up to the whizz bang action sequences. Otherwise I guarantee you reviewers will be complaining that everything is suddenly all topsy turvy because they can't be expected to have read a hundred novels that explain it all. When the first movies ended, we get the impression that they WON and things were basically happily ever after. If that impression is changed, they need to explain it in the movie.

I think after all of the boring dialogue scenes from the prequels, they will want to minimize that as much as possible. That's my prediction anyway. It sounds like the original actors are so happy to be in this that they won't be bogging down the production trying to hog the screentime away from the new actors (not that they would, I'm just saying that could be a risk factor in any "reunion" movie like this).

Then again, this is Star Wars. For all we know all of this will be wrapped up in the "opening crawl" and we'll just suddenly be there with everyone in the new crisis and whatever is going on, including Luke's robot head and Han Solo's wookiee sports team.

• 8 months later...

I like the way it was done because it works out:

1. Padme died before she could take care of her children.

2. Luke and Leia were sent to opposite sides of the Galaxy to make it harder to find both of them.

3. Luke first meets Leia when he rescues her, before he ever met his father, but he doesn't know either is related to him.

4. Vader tells Luke that he is his father.

5. Luke eventually tells Leia about his relationship with her and Vader.

Off-Topic: WHY is Dude111 banned?! Here's his/her last post (from General Forums):

Poopsenders.com (Ah man!!)

Mac and cheese (Any brand) OR Pasta Rings?? (Aldis)

Archived