Home

Disgruntled LucasArts Employees Leak Upcoming Titles...

Why is everybody getting mad and assuming this is already going to be a PC only release like Star Wars Galaxies?

I'm not sure that anyone actually was mad about that, but now that you mention it, it better not be an X360 only release. Because I would like to at least try it, and I'm certainly not going to go out and by an Xbox and XboxLive just to try a game that I'm already wary about in the first place.

_EW_

@Aash - So true. :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else think that they may not be revealing games because they got fired? Isn't it possible that they say these games are being made so that if Lucas Arts doesn't announce them, that there will be already angry fans, who will be even angrier and Lucas Arts will be given a bad rap? Also how do we even know that these people work for Lucas Arts? Another thing is I find interesting is that the original site said it was a rumor and the other two sites don’t.

I believe I speak for most everyone when I say *** ******, LucasArts. *** **** you straight to hell. :carms:

lolz...mind where you are Rhett. AHTO isnt the place for such veiled cusses.

Personally. Im all for the move. Every major gaming dev has said quite clearly that PC_Single Player is not financially viable, chiefly due to PIRACY...

SO IT"S ALL YOUR OWN FAULT...

*points accusatory finger in melodramatic fashion at all gathered AHTONAUTS* ;)

you kids and your mp3s, and torrents etc.

sure, you may not have ripped a LA game because you love SW/GL so much, but somewhere, somehow, you've ripped something and now, finally, sweet justice hath delivered itself upon your moaning selves... seriously, when "a SW MMO made by bioware" was mentioned many moons ago, who DIDN'T think it was KOTOR era based.

and whilst you sit here and whinge like so many myspace starlets, I can imagine you all running around doin your missions, crafting your kit etc... you have a ready made* clan/squad here.... if Bioware pull the game off, it could actually be quite fun.

...and thats coming from someone who doesnt like MMOs :) Id genuinely be interested in a well made Bioware/Kotor 3 MMO :) I have far less spare time than many, but MMOs are made with casual gamers in mind as well

as for the pc only thang....I doubt it. MS has done alot of work to make the "x360 +windows Live" gaming experience possible. This title will be an absolutely perfect opportunity to deploy on those platforms.

mtfbwya

The long and short of it is that LA fired some employees and the employees blabbed about their upcoming games which included the following: {snip}

So aren't these employees royally screwed?

I would expect they were all under NDAs, right?

_EW_

Perhaps. But LucasArts would have to make the effort to go to court to file a complaint and get subpoenas to get the e-mails from Kotaku and track those e-mails back to one of the former LucasArts employees. Not sure if they would want to deal with the effort of doing that and the negative publicity that would undoubtedly be visited upon such an effort.

All of these "kill Lucasarts" comments are so redundant and overreactive they're not even funny. Especially since this whole thing is a bunch of rumors with literally no actual source whαtsoever. It's the same pile of rumors and other crap as before.

or if he is indeed positioning LA to exclusively use third party developers.

Are you kidding? Of course they are. If they haven't already, then putting them in that position is merely a formality. I don't remember the last good Lucasarts game that Lucasarts actually made itself.

Are you kidding? Of course they are. If they haven't already, then putting them in that position is merely a formality. I don't remember the last good Lucasarts game that Lucasarts actually made itself.
Republic Commando wasn't a good game?

Also, are you saying you don't believe LucasArts director of PR, Margaret Grohne? Kotaku quotes her as saying,

"We are healthy. LEGO Indie was launched on seven platforms to positive reviews, The Force Unleashed and Fracture are on track for this fall. We have a good slate of games and we have some good stuff going on in production.

We are definitely committed to the internal studio."

:smirk2:

All of these "kill Lucasarts" comments are so redundant and overreactive they're not even funny. Especially since this whole thing is a bunch of rumors with literally no actual source whαtsoever. It's the same pile of rumors and other crap as before.

QTF, I think if I were a LA employee and just had the sack, I'd want to spread as much crap about LA as possible :p

I think its mostly a load of junk to discredit LA, though I am in hopes for a Battlefront 3. Those games are my favourites. :D

Republic Commando wasn't a good game?

Republic Commando was a standard run-of-the-mill FPS with a decent single-player story and an extremely lackluster multiplayer, just like practically any other FPS you can think of that's been made in the last few years. Calling RC anything more complimentary than "decent", eζpecially compared to the games that LA used to make, is like taking a firecracker and calling it a nuclear bomb.

"We are definitely committed to the internal studio."

That remains to be seen. TFU is the only game they seem to be making by themselves at the moment (not counting the Indy Game which has disappeared in recent months).

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

PR does stand for propaganda, right? :xp:

_EW_

Pubic Relations. Propaganda. What's the difference? ;)

Republic Commando was a standard run-of-the-mill FPS with a decent single-player story and an extremely lackluster multiplayer, just like practically any other FPS you can think of that's been made in the last few years. Calling RC anything more complimentary than "decent", eζpecially compared to the games that LA used to make, is like taking a firecracker and calling it a nuclear bomb.
I think it likely that I'm not the only one that disagrees with your assessment of Republic Commando. While it's not a first-tier game I've always viewed Republic Commando as a worthy effort and liked the squad-based combat the game used. That was a bit different for an FPS game.

That remains to be seen. TFU is the only game they seem to be making by themselves at the moment (not counting the Indy Game which has disappeared in recent months).

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Indeed. After this latest culling one wonders how many internal developers LucasArts has left to work on the DMM and euphoria-based Indy game that was originally supposed to be released this year.

It seems Joystiq is the only other website besides Kotaku that has gotten some direct scoop on the LucasArts situation.

Basically LucasArts' Director of Public Relations Margaret Grohne tells Joystiq that

- LucasArts is not halting internal development

- No titles have been cancelled or postponed due to the layoffs

- various websites are reading too much into the layoffs

- LucasArts can't comment on unannouced products (in reference to the reports of ex-employees revealing KotOR MMORPG and Battlefront 3 being in development)

I think the situation with internal development remains to be seen. Unless the reports are wrong and instead of 50-100 employees being laid off there are less than 25 employees then I might believe this. If the reported numbers are right though then I don't see how the new Indy game isn't going to take a hit.

Hard to ignore it when you can't turn it off in many games. Guild Wars is nice in that you can shut off any branch of the chat you don't want to see/read. Plus it's instanced, so no need to interact with the sillies at all if you don't want to. :)

However I don't suspect any LA MMO would be 'nice' like that.

You know, you can actually do that in World of Warcraft too. Also there's that natural ability to not read things you know will upset you. That's why I don't go to anything ending with .gov these days. Though that might change with a new president and staff in power.

Is that your way of saying that KOTOR names being popular is just a coincidence? If so, I personally would've said that Revan wasn't a cow-man in K1.

No i mean how there is only ONE MALE Bastila in the whole of WoW.

I sense an disturbance in the Force....

I sense...screaming 9-year old children who all want to role-play a Jedi class in a galaxy overrun by Jedi. An unrealistic universe, wherin Galactic basic is replaced by "Zomg lolzor rockzzor pwnzor ligtzaber I can has creditz plz?"

---------

All fun aside, I'd hate to see the Kotor franchise destroyed by this. Galaxies failed because of the Jedi unbalance thing. If I may speak for myself, I love to roleplay in the Kotor games. Single saber, special behaviour. This will be gone if it turns MMO. Idiots will then raid Darth Poodiaper for the Lightsaber of +9 vs Long Haired legomorphs. Not cool. World of Warcraft shows a franchise can keep it's magic as an MMO. Conan does this as well. Too bad Star Wars has this Jedi dudes everyone wants to play. :(

haven't bioware already said that the mmo they're working on isn't kotor 3? i'm sure i read that somewhere.

i think the mmo will be set during the new sith wars.

as for the lightsaber wii game... that was a story that came out last year, and it was referring to force unleashed.

They started making a new indy years ago. however they decided to shelve it for the meantime (maybe because of the new movie) but they used the engine they had started to develop for force unleashed instead. no doubt they return to it once force unleased is released.

and a Clone Wars game is a safe bet.

Archived