Home

Backwards Lightsaber

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as he's able to kick some major a$$ does it really matter how he holds it? Each character has there unique features and it's being shown in the game so I think it's cool.

Shien was a form of Jedi lightsaber combat. Followers of this form practiced an unorthodox method of holding the lightsaber to perform long, sweeping strikes to take down several enemies at a time.

I think for being a secret apprentice who was gonna encounter alot of enemies on his missions it's the most effecient style so it makes sense.

:lsduel::duel:

As long as he's able to kick some major a$$ does it really matter how he holds it? Each character has there unique features and it's being shown in the game so I think it's cool.

I think for being a secret apprentice who was gonna encounter alot of enemies on his missions it's the most effecient style so it makes sense.

:lsduel::duel:

Agreed. What is the big deal with the reverse grip? It's not the end of the world :lol:

Different Jedi and Sith have their preferences for how they hold their sabers.

I thinks it's because he is a speedy attacker and backwards blades seem to be associated with speed and/or ninja style characters.

And I think they felt it was just more sinister looking

Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that the Apprentice holds his lightsaber backwards? I really wish he would hold it normally because it looks better that way.

I dont really care becouse its a game, but i tell you, if someone actually wielded a weapon that way and just stand casually he would get grinded to bits by the first guy he meets with any combat skill... That kind of a stance is a suicide! And even though i always dual wield when its possible, the lack of that doesnt bother me at all, becouse here i play Starkiller, not the most powerful being in the universe, ME...

Well in an interview with Hayden during E3. They stated he holds his lightsaber behind him because of all the intense force powers he is using. Having the blade infront of him might disrupt some of the force using supposedly and it lets you see the lightsaber. Imagine having that shiny red beam of death infront of you while channeling a lightning attack haha.

Really though, it's a game...it doesn't really have to make sense.

Well in an interview with Hayden during E3. They stated he holds his lightsaber behind him because of all the intense force powers he is using. Having the blade infront of him might disrupt some of the force using supposedly and it lets you see the lightsaber. Imagine having that shiny red beam of death infront of you while channeling a lightning attack haha.

That's the most ludicrous thing i've heard. It's simple because it looks cool, and people kept moaning that they couldn't see the lightsaber.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the way he holds the sabre, its cool. But its very impractical in real combat.

In fact i think even in game you can see this, he is so slow to get his guard up when you block (tell me its not my reactions) youhave to be ready before hte enemies swing for starkiller to get his guard up!!!

Other than that it does look very japanese cool though.

On the point of styles i loved Count Dokus style, swashbuckling fencer. I think that is one of the coolest styles in film because the guy is professionally trained in it :D (and yes i know a lot of it is a stunt guy, but for an old dude that guy can still look smart)

I think a lot of the inspiration for using the reverse grip might have come from a really cool japanese film about a blind masseur called Zatoichi who held his cane-katana like that. The reverse grip is used occasionally in japanese fencing but usually (like the Apprentice) mixed with the conventional grip. I agree that it does give him a bit more character.

Gimmick. Plain and simple. Just something to make him different from the other sabre-users in Star Wars.

It's been done before - think double-bladed Maul. Or quad-wielding Grievous.

Personally, I don't like it. Maybe it's because I prefer the dueling style. Perhaps it is appropriate for a Sith, as it has little defensive value and perhaps more offensive value.

Gimmick. Plain and simple. Just something to make him different from the other sabre-users in Star Wars.

It's been done before - think double-bladed Maul. Or quad-wielding Grievous.

Personally, I don't like it. Maybe it's because I prefer the dueling style. Perhaps it is appropriate for a Sith, as it has little defensive value and perhaps more offensive value.

Unfortunately backhand stance is not unique anymore...

Plus, Maul's saber is not unique, just a dim copy of the true master...

The Quad Wield is pretty special though, I wish there is a true 4 handed sith.

Well Shien (Backhand) has been used by Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Starkiller, Jedi Snipers, Quinlan Vos, and Ronhar Kim. It's very useful in throwing your opponents off guard and striking from strange angles. Also, when fighting a double-bladed opponent, it's the best form to use because of it's wide defensive range.

(Also, I guess Maris Brood would have use a variant of Shien, due to her Tonfa's being backwards)

It doesn't bother me, but I do wonder: What possible advantage is there to holding your lightsaber like that? I mean, yeah, you can hold your lightsaber any way you want and call it a new form, but how exactly is that helping?

that back handed stance is geared more toward defense, where as holding it normally is offensive.

Every character in the star wars universe has their own lightsaber stance and I think it is important that they do. Some are more noticeable then others. Revan, Starkiller, Darth Vader, Malak, Obi- wan, Palpatine, yoda, Darth Maul, and Dooku. All of them have very different styles and I think it is important that they do. Personally I love the fact that Starkiller's stance is so different and of his own.

Archived