Home

Who will win Decision '08?

Tysyacha

Honestly, who do you think will win the 2008 election?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Honestly, who do you think will win the 2008 election?

• John McCain
    • Barack Obama
    • Yoda ("Care about these things, a Jedi does not.")
    • I honestly don't know who will win

Back then people wanted someone from outside the beltway.
Hey, maybe it was just like Texas then. You know, a front guy to do a bunch of cheerleading while others (i.e. Rumsfeld, Cheney, Rove, etc) were actually responsible for the policy.

Hmmm. Way to make sure we never elect another former Texas governor, mimartin.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm. Way to make sure we never elect another former Texas governor, mimartin.
I remember studing it in Government Class in high school. The Governor of Texas became my dream job. It includes all the accolades with none of the responsibility.

Geez, Mdknight, do you think I'm a complete idiot? I KNOW Paul is in the Party, but the fact remains that it doesn't matter any more so than the fact that Teddy Roosevelt was in the party - The Republicans aren't going to give Paul his own special ticket, not unless someone recently gave them a cranial drill intrusion.

Just checking! :lol: I know it looks grim for his campaign, but I refuse to count my chickens before they hatch, even though that is the trend in politics in this country.

You asked for my assessment of Obama's apparent qualification and I was comparing him to Bush. I just don't understand why experience is an issue now when they were not an issue in 2000 when Bush was running. Back then people wanted someone from outside the beltway.

When you get right down to it, none of the last 3 candidates (Hilary included here) had any executive experience, so perhaps that issue becomes moot under the circumstances. Interesting that the Gov of Texas is only a figurehead. About the confusion re Bush, the comment "he's not Bush" probably could have been used as a throwawy line vis-a-vis any other dem candidate. Just figured that you think that even a retarded monkey could do a better job than Bush and figured you believed Obama was at least that smart. :D Frankly, saying that Obama (or anyone, ftm) is better than Bush is like saying someone should win a beauty contest b/c they're better looking than the cow that miraculously won (in your opinion) the last time. Being better qualified does not equal being qualified. Just thought that kind of yardstick was irrelevant.

Arcesious--it's OK to vote in the poll for who you want to win, even if you aren't old enough to vote yet. :)

I added the "I honestly don't know" option for those of you who really don't know, but who are going to vote (or would vote if able).

If I could vote, I'd be voting for McCain!

Seeing as you're from the Netherlands, how well versed are you on American Politics? Even if you are very well versed, your opinion is jaded due to it being from a foreign perspective and it should be treated as such.

I added the "I honestly don't know" option for those of you who really don't know, but who are going to vote (or would vote if able).

In my opinion, then, this makes the third decision unchoosable. (Which isn't a word.)

The question asks: Who will win?

The answers are then McCain, Obama, or 'I don't know.'

'I don't care' doesn't answer the question, and it is actually a bit disheartening that a US citizen would pick an option of this nature.

_EW_

'I don't care' doesn't answer the question, and it is actually a bit disheartening that a US citizen would pick an option of this nature.
You're not allowed to be disappointed until someone asks to add the "Who are these people?" option.

I voted for Yoda, although it's not really that I don't care. I don't fully buy Obama's message for "change", and I don't know how much change would really benefit the US. It's an easy thing to say, but I'm a skeptic. He does say it well, though. I'll give him that. However, as a Republican, I don't like McCain at all. It's a very strange feeling that I'm having right now -- I'm actually sad that Hillary is out of the race.

Really? I popped open a Guinness Extra Stout to celebrate the occasion! :lol::guiness:

I thought I would too - believe me - but I guess I'm just not on the Obama bandwagon that so many are on right now. And in reality, McCain is so moderate that Clinton might be in the same ballpark as far as conservatism goes. Obama is off the deep-end.

McCain is so moderate that Clinton might be in the same ballpark as far as conservatism goes.[/Quote] The correct term is was. McSame was so moderate...

Obama is off the deep-end.
On what issue or issues are you making this judgment?

I think that was cynicism you were detecting rather than glibness.

Ahh, of course.

I thought I would too - believe me - but I guess I'm just not on the Obama bandwagon that so many are on right now. And in reality, McCain is so moderate that Clinton might be in the same ballpark as far as conservatism goes. Obama is off the deep-end.

Because of what reasons have you gotten off the bandwagon? And is this affecting your opinion as to who will win?

_EW_

On what issue or issues are you making this judgment?
"Off the deep end" was a strong choice of words. I only meant that in just about every conservative/liberal issue that is important to me personally, Obama takes the liberal view where I am conservative. I'd rather not get into those issues on this forum, however.

The correct term is was. McSame was so moderate...
I wonder if that's just an attempt to earn more conservative votes, and not really indicative of how he will act once elected.

Because of what reasons have you gotten off the bandwagon? And is this affecting your opinion as to who will win?
I was never on the bandwagon. And no, it doesn't affect my opinion as to who I think will win. Where's Peter the Hegemon when you need him? ;)

I wonder if that's just an attempt to earn more conservative votes, and not really indicative of how he will act once elected.
Ignoring the fact that this would do nothing but establish that the Republicans have once more put forth a candidate that will say one thing and then do the exact opposite (i.e. a liar), let us consider that in order to test this hypothesis all we can do is cross our fingers as we vote and hope that this is the case. Needless to say, I'm not interested in gambling with my vote anymore than what is considered "normal".

Unfortunately, I think Obama is going to win the general election. Since John McCain is a very weak Republican, I just don't see him rallying the party. I personally don't think Obama is going to attempt a debate with McCain. I personally believe that the Republicans are going to stay at home this time around. I expect Obama to be in office for one term. I actually expect anyone of the canadates to only have one term. I think the United States is going through a phase, which will allow some real leaders to step forward. After our country takes some time to flex, we will see a real run for the White House in 2012. I think the Republicans are retreating, so they can fight for another day. McCain is just not a strong cannidate. Plus, he is a Liberal running on the Republican ticket. Grrr... I think I am going to wait this voting cycle out myself. I want to see a hard hitter Republican arrive for an awsome 2012 battle. Obama is going to make some serious mistakes in office, and it will cost him the second term. I personally hate the man, but I do know he will win.

Obama's term will be similar in tone to George Bush senior. People will celebrate his arrival to the White House, but he will deliver nothing positive to the office. I personally believe he is a logo and slogon without substance, and people will finally see this to be true. If he turns into a radical - racial- president, we can allways impeach the man.

Unfortunately, I think Obama is going to win the general election. Since John McCain is a very weak Republican, I just don't see him rallying the party. I personally don't think Obama is going to attempt a debate with McCain. I personally believe that the Republicans are going to stay at home this time around. I expect Obama to be in office for one term. I actually expect anyone of the canadates to only have one term. I think the United States is going through a phase, which will allow some real leaders to step forward. After our country takes some time to flex, we will see a real run for the White House in 2012. I think the Republicans are retreating, so they can fight for another day. McCain is just not a strong cannidate. Plus, he is a Liberal running on the Republican ticket. Grrr... I think I am going to wait this voting cycle out myself. I want to see a hard hitter Republican arrive for an awsome 2012 battle. Obama is going to make some serious mistakes in office, and it will cost him the second term. I personally hate the man, but I do know he will win.

Obama's term will be similar in tone to George Bush senior. People will celebrate his arrival to the White House, but he will deliver nothing positive to the office. I personally believe he is a logo and slogon without substance, and people will finally see this to be true. If he turns into a radical - racial- president, we can allways impeach the man.

I like how such a long post is filled with absolutely nothing but meaningless fluff. Kudos to you sir.

I like how such a long post is filled with absolutely nothing but meaningless fluff. Kudos to you sir.

Oh? I'm sorry El Sitherino. I thought this thread was "Who do you think will win the 2008 election?" I just answered in a quick summary why I feel as such. Did I do something wrong?

Just looking for clarity.

Not the guy who wants to veto beer...

link

Guess who it is!!

McBush!

What a surprise...he is quickly becoming my favorite comedian.

But seriously...how can a guy who doesn't even understand what vernacular to use to properly address a crowd be elected president...? Yes, Bush is an exception...but I like to think that was before he had a stroke that gave him permanent brain damage...oh wait...nm...Side note...yet another similarity between McCain and Bush...a poor grasp of the english language :lol:!!

I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's political slang that is commonly (or not so commonly) used and it accidentally slipped out, but you should always be aware of who you are talking to and what you are saying, especially if you want to be the pres.

Regardless, McBush as president well never happen, and you can quote me.

Obama '08 Baby!!

Archived