Home

Revealed: Secret plan to keep Iraq under US control

Achilles

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because those commodities are the only valuable thing in Iraq unless someone devises a sand-based power plant. Besides, I think you know the mantra.

'The Oil must flow.'

I realize that.

What I was asking was: why is the United States government so bent on pilfering that oil?

Face it, the Iraqis will set the price for the oil when they begin exporting. Its not like the American army can just siphon the gas while they're there.

Plus, why does the oil need to be protected by us? The Iraqis know that oil is their greatest asset and its government will use all its resources to protect it.

Personally, I feel that Bush wants to pass this accord so that we can get a foothold in the middle east. Oil isn't the primary reason.

I realize that all of this could be considered 'coincidental,' and is different to each person. It's all about interpretation. ;)
I think it's rather difficult to defend the argument that we aren't there for oil when a vast majority of our bases seems to be within a short distance of an oil pipeline. The whole, "oh no, we're only here to free these oppressed people and spread democracy" spiel kinda falls apart in light of the facts.

I don't get it. You find this so incriminating. Why? Iraq's only significant natural resource is Oil, which happens to be precious as Gold right now. What else is there for us to protect in that region but sand and bones? The only thing of strategic value is their Oil, unless you happen to be a glassblower.

I don't think that you're seeing my point. We went into Iraq based off of the 'intelligence' that Hussein was harboring 'terrorists' and "Weapon of Mass Destruction." We went to Iraq to 'liberate' their people, not their oil. And what are we going for now? *Points to Achilles' posts above*

Not only is this completely contradictory in nature (protecting an object rather than people), but it shows that the current administration is either...

1) ...a completely incompetent, bumbling composition of selfish People...

...or...

2) ...a 'puppet-administration,' following orders from someone (or a group of people) from somewhere else in the world/country. Goodness, I wish I had a President with a mind of his/her own and a will.

We never actually signed and ratified the Kyoto treaty, so there was nothing to w/drawl from in the first place.
Never said we did, but we did have a say in the negotiation of the treaty. We also never ratified the tobacco treaty, but we were involved in the negotiation and insisted that it be as watered down as possible. Seems if the U.S. is to negotiate in good faith, they must actually think there is a possibility of passage. If all we are going to do is water down the treaty then perhaps we should stay out of the negotiations if we do not intend to try to ratify the treaty.

We also did not pull out of the ABM Treaty because the USSR no longer existed; we pulled out because a missile defense system was illegal under the terms of the treaty. If it were legal, we would be expecting Russia to follow the terms of the treaty.

Or maybe that they're just realistic and realize that we can actually liberate the country and strengthen America's position simultaneously?

I think I understand where you're coming from, but (to me) it's an illogical reason. You say that we are "liberating" (Iraq), and are simultaneously strengthen our Global Standing? That would be great, except for the pretenses under which we invaded.

The Bush Administration told the American Public (who, may I add, were swept up in the fury of September Eleventh) that Saddam was harboring 'terrorists' and "Weapons of Mass Destruction." This was, as we know now, a blatant lie. Bush used one of the lowest times in American History to bring us into War, and now we're going to have a tough time getting out.

So, therefore, the logic by which you are basing your claim is false. It would make sense if we were freeing a country that was under the command of an evil dictator for genuine reasons, then it would make sense. However, the Bush Administration is more concerned with the commodity of Oil, and would rather have it then help the Iraqi People.

Or maybe that they're just realistic and realize that we can actually liberate the country and strengthen America's position simultaneously?

I believe what you're talking about is called occupation. You can't liberate a country and then fortify your own military position and thus your control in said country.

Sure you can. You just peel one thumb off and put yours in it's place.

thats still occupation and oppression. There is no liberty and freedom when you are under somebody's thumb, REGARDLESS of who's thumb it may be.

Strengthening one's position would be to ally yourselves with the people in the area. An enemy you've made a friend is an enemy you don't have to fight, what better solution for people you didn't like than having them WILLINGLY fight for you?

A nation cannot be an island in today's world. Military power makes us only a naive and foolish nation, to believe that we can run the world through strength of arms has been tried, tested, and failed on every account. We are no exception.

Military power makes us only a naive and foolish nation, to believe that we can run the world through strength of arms has been tried, tested, and failed on every account. We are no exception.
Empires don't tend to go all quiet and pretty-like when they do either :(

What substantiation do we have for this article? None. Zip. Zilch.

Fifty bases sounds like a ridiculously high number to me. Anyone can say "oh, I have information leaked from the Pentagon" and make an article out of it to inflame the masses willing to believe any anti-American thing that they read.

What substantiation do we have for this article? None. Zip. Zilch.
Critical thinking when it's convenient. Love it.

So the LA Times (11/07), NPR (01/08), and The Independent (first post) have been covering a completely made-up story for months?

Funny that when we talk about something and want a source, we usually look to some sort of reputable media outlet. When a reputable media outlet breaks a story, Jae wants a source :D

(hint: it's call investigative journalism for a reason ;)).

Fifty bases sounds like a ridiculously high number to me.
Might seem high to the Iraqis too. Could explain why al-Maliki is pushing back. Doesn't mean Bush didn't ask for them though.

Anyone can say "oh, I have information leaked from the Pentagon" and make an article out of it to inflame the masses willing to believe any anti-American thing that they read.
Yes anyone can. But generally an editor will only push a story if the source is reliable. This is how newspapers avoid getting sued the Federal government and stuff.

Critical thinking when it's convenient. Love it.

Think that's quite harsh on Jae there my friend.

All it's resources? We are talking about a country in RUINS. This place can be charitably described as 'Hell on a Cracker', and it's got the psychotic inhabitants to populate it.

Indeed and who made it that way?

Empires don't tend to go all quiet and pretty-like when they do either.

The British Empire went pretty quietly :p (Although admittedly two world wars, were a contributing factor in its decline).

no, and unforunately the fall of the US will cause major shockwaves in the rest of the world.

I'm not so sure, it will be interesting to see how globalisation and the fall of the established order effects things when it happens.

So the LA Times (11/07), NPR (01/08), and The Independent (first post) have been covering a completely made-up story for months?

I didn't say it was made up. You didn't include those articles.

Yes anyone can. But generally an editor will only push a story if the source is reliable. This is how newspapers avoid getting sued the Federal government and stuff.

Tell that to the NY Times. Their editors allowed stories through that were written with made-up facts. Some of the stories were just outright fiction. CBS did a great job with Dan Rather's 'oops' too.

Fifty bases sounds like a ridiculously high number to me. Anyone can say "oh, I have information leaked from the Pentagon" and make an article out of it to inflame the masses willing to believe any anti-American thing that they read.
I hope you are talking about those outside the United States seeing this article as being anti-American. Because I do not consider the article anti-American no more than I saw the attacks of President Clinton, President Reagan, President Carter or even President Nixon as anti-American. Personally, if I stuck my head in the sand and believed everything my government said that I would be anti-American. The founding fathers design this government for the people to actively participate, even though they did not fully trust the people. In fairness the founding fathers did not fully trust the government either or they would not have designed the checks and balances the way the did. I just believe questioning my government’s policy or even proposed policies is not anti-American.

I didn't say it was made up. You didn't include those articles. Tell that to the NY Times. Their editors allowed stories through that were written with made-up facts.
So we should disregard this story by the New York Times entitled “U.S. Not Seeking Permanent Iraq Bases, Ambassador Says”?

From the articles, I have read I would say neither side is telling the truth. The Bush administration is saying they are not seeking any permanent bases (I tend to believe this, but that does not mean they are not seeking bases there until the Iraqi oil supply is depleted.) The Iraqi’s are saying 50 and permanent.

The British Empire went pretty quietly :p (Although admittedly two world wars, were a contributing factor in its decline).
Depends on how you look at it, I guess. From a "leveling London was the beginning of the end" perspective, I think you could say that it did not go quietly. To your point though, the draw-down was rather uneventful in comparison to others. :)

I didn't say it was made up.
You're right, you did not use those exact words.

You didn't include those articles.
And that changes what?

FWIW, I did point out that this was part of an ongoing story in the first post.

Tell that to the NY Times. Their editors allowed stories through that were written with made-up facts. Some of the stories were just outright fiction. CBS did a great job with Dan Rather's 'oops' too.
There are always exceptions. I think we need more than your incredulity/new-found skepticism to establish that this case is one of them.

I do think that it would be a display of breathtaking ineptitude though to learn that every news source covering this particular story for the past 7-8 months has been fabricating information, as you seem to want to imply.

Mostly the insurgents made it that way, but I won't deny that the magnificent glory of the M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank caused a fair bit of damage too, along with the rest of our beautiful military technology. The fact remains, however, that the only thing valuable in Iraq is it's oil. It's been that way for some considerable period of time.

We have bases in Germany and Japan. Are we still in unending conflict with them?

Agreed. I personally think that we have to be big brother in Iraq. Regardless about how we got there, I think we need to take a serious look at the country. Once someone new comes into office, the dirty laundry of President Bush will be revealed. I personally believe that Bush needs to be put on trial, so we can get the whole truth out in the open. When I think back on election 2000, we needed Bush to remove the unhumbled Gore. Within this election cycle, we need an unbiased individual to evalutate and scruitinaize Iraq. Obama doesn't have any military logic, which would help him see the pros and cons of Iraq. Bush is attempting to keep himself out of trouble.

You're right, you did not use those exact words.

Nor did I imply it. Did you consider the option that I was also considering someone quoting a bad source? Apparently not.

And that changes what?

My perception of your source.

FWIW, I did point out that this was part of an ongoing story in the first post.
And your point is?

There are always exceptions. I think we need more than your incredulity/new-found skepticism to establish that this case is one of them.
Are you always like this, or is this just one of your good days?

I do think that it would be a display of breathtaking ineptitude though to learn that every news source covering this particular story for the past 7-8 months has been fabricating information, as you seem to want to imply.
Did I say all of them were fabricating? No, I said the NYTimes and CBS had fabricated. My trust in news organizations is not that high after seeing what seems to be a problem in at least 2 of what had been highly respected news organizations.

Outside of the US, there are under 50 US permanent bases _total_ around the world. There are 201 bases in the US (barring any changes made since the wiki entry was written). If there are less than 50 total bases scattered around the world, why would the US suddenly put 50 permanent bases into one single country smaller than the size of Texas?

If you include all the minor installations like weather stations, ranges, fueling depots, and other minor facilities, the number of overseas installations goes up dramatically, on the order of hundreds. However, the article you quote specifies "bases", not "installations". There is a big difference in terminology with that. Either the source is wrong, the writer quoted the source incorrectly, somewhere along the line someone didn't double check their facts to get the proper terminology, or the author is artificially manipulating the terminology to make it sound like something it really shouldn't be. Furthermore, Bush can make all the deals in the world he wants with respect to the military, but next January we'll have a different Commander-in-Chief, and I'm sure either Obama or McCain will have their own orders for the military.

Nor did I imply it.
At this point it seems that you would prefer to insult my intelligence.

My perception of your source.
Maybe I should have let you rant a little longer then *shrugs*

And your point is?
That had you chosen to, you could have done a little leg work of your own.

Are you always like this, or is this just one of your good days?
Like what? Bemused by which topics you choose approach with skepticism as compared to which topics you don't? Yes, I'm always like that.

Did I say all of them were fabricating? No, I said the NYTimes and CBS had fabricated. My trust in news organizations is not that high after seeing what seems to be a problem in at least 2 of what had been highly respected news organizations.
Neither NY Times or CBS were mentioned except by you and only to point out that news organizations can sometimes be unreliable (a point which you raise again here). So either you were addressing a specific example or you were not. If you were, then it doesn't really apply and now that we acknowledge that and we can move on. If it was something more general, then that's okay too, but saying that it isn't when it sure does seem that it is only causes us to waste time while we play "Guess What Jae Really Means".

Outside of the US, there are under 50 US permanent bases _total_ around the world. There are 201 bases in the US (barring any changes made since the wiki entry was written). If there are less than 50 total bases scattered around the world, why would the US suddenly put 50 permanent bases into one single country smaller than the size of Texas?
I'm guessing that it might have something to do with 1) oil and 2) strategic/tactical advantages.

Maybe we could ask PNAC to tell us why they want it so bad and then we can add their list to ours.

If you include all the minor installations like weather stations, ranges, fueling depots, and other minor facilities, the number of overseas installations goes up dramatically, on the order of hundreds. However, the article you quote specifies "bases", not "installations". There is a big difference in terminology with that. Either the source is wrong, the writer quoted the source incorrectly, somewhere along the line someone didn't double check their facts to get the proper terminology, or the author is artificially manipulating the terminology to make it sound like something it really shouldn't be.
You missed one:

or Bush really does want 50 bases there.

I agree that all of these possibilities are valid.

Furthermore, Bush can make all the deals in the world he wants with respect to the military, but next January we'll have a different Commander-in-Chief, and I'm sure either Obama or McCain will have their own orders for the military.
Which wouldn't change the fact that he's doing this now. I think mimartin makes a pretty good arguement above that it might look bad if one President makes a treaty (illegally, but that's beside the point) and then another doesn't uphold it.

Perhaps this is just me but you seem to be getting quite hot under the collar here and getting a bit snappy with one another... Lets all have a listen to this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXN9r6tPgHU

:)

Aren't you a little young for Orbital? :p

I'm a little young for Beethoven and Mozart too, but still listen to them ;) My music taste is very varied, Queen, U2 or Rage Against the Machine would be my top 3 favourite bands as an example.

Archived