Home

OJP-E Ingame Fighting Manual Suggestions

Creating this thread for any suggestions/bug reports you find in my script for the ingame manual. Please run this and test it out for me. Known bugs are in the readme file. I will release an updated version soon. Beta 3 should be the version I'll release to JK3 files.

Download Beta 1: http://destroyersgames.com/OJPmanual.zip

Download Beta 2: http://destroyersgames.com/OJPmanualb2.zip

-TheDestroyer

Thanks so much for having worked on this. When I come back from Taiwan two weeks from now, I'll actually start building an in-game menu that will serve as an "OJPedia," perhaps with animations included such as in the base Rules menus. If you'd like, we can work together (you, Max, me) on writing the content. This will take some time before completion, of course, so in the meantime your solution is the best.

As you noted in your readme, seems like you can't use \n for next line. It seems like that's really preventing the scripts from being complete. Text limit seems to be a major problem as well.

I guess another thing that's changed is that we're standardizing the names of all the different offensive/defensive moves.

Offense: Fake, Attack, Power Attack

Defense: Body Dodge, Block (automatic), Parry, Riposte

Perhaps you can map the binds to the F1-F12 keys (not sure many people use those) so that those keys are a bit more out of the way. Also, you can probably enhance readability by breaking down the sections more (i.e. offense moves, defense moves) and making the text more concise.

Updated to Beta 2. Changed \n's to colors and hopefully fixed the "unknown command" problem. Please post if it is still there and tell me which file it happens in, or what button you press to open it.

Please be sure to download the beta 2 update uploaded at 6:44 PM eastern standard time (US). As far as I know all the bugs have been addressed and this is now v1.0 worthy! Break it if you can!

This is coming along beautifully, man.

Couple additional notes:

• Ripostes are spelled without an i.
  • Try to color code more consistently. I.e. in general text color is white. Main Topic of the section in the directory is green; subsections of topics are in red; important terms or phrases are yellow; and the text for the menu options are in blue or aqua. That way people's eyes will be drawn to important information in a structured manner.
  • You can get rid of the alternative names for moves, it'll only confuse people.
  • Transitions --> combos
  • Riposte is the same as an attack parry, so having them in conjunction in the menu is redundant
  • Conversion == Disarm; just use disarm, conversion can be misleading.

Anyhoo the saber manual really needs an overhaul - it's currently written too much like a technical manual (I think that was originally what Hocs wrote it as an assignment for...lol don't remember) and needs to be organized for more general public consumption. That'll be done by the time v1.3 hits the intertubes.

Even though his manual seems to be in contradiction with itself sometimes.

Bolding mine:

Riposite (attack parry): hold attack while you parry block a swing.

O RLY?!

Riposites/Attack Parries:

A new move in this version of Enhanced is the Attack Parry and uses the start fake as its aid. ... Step 2: Hold the proper parry direction (explained before) and tap attack just as your opponents saber is about to hit you (sometimes taping it at the same time works to). You must be in a preblock animation or a start fake animation for it to work, but you cannot be holding attack at the time of hit.

Tapping Mouse Button 1:

Tapping your attack button will make your character do a feint, or fake attack. This attack will do the windup animation of the particular style, from the direction you're walking into at the time you press it. Fakes are used to confuse enemies, to parry and to riposte.

Holding Mouse Button 1:

Holding your attack button makes your character initiate an attack into the direction that you're moving in. The attack sequence can be forwarded into a power attack, followed through with a run attack, or paused/stopped with a fake, giving players a nice array of possible combat maneuvers right off the bat. Unparried attacks damage your opponent's mishap and DP. Parried attacks damage your mishap while regenerating your opponent's mishap, they also do minuscule amounts of DP damage and force you into a "freeze"; they make you stand still and center your view on your opponent.

Pressing Mouse button 2:

Mouse button 2 allows you to kick and slap into several directions to:

x) give you breathing time

x) push your enemy away

x) push your enemy to the ground.

Note to Darth: did slap get buffed?

Parrying:

In OJP, you block incoming attacks automatically with your saber. These blocks however count only as a last measure self-defense for you, and typically do a lot of DP and mishap damage. To properly block an attack, you are going to have to divide your body into 6 parts:

-Top left

-Top right

-Left torso

-Right torso

-Left leg

-Right leg

Then, you need to keep in mind that high attacks are parried by moving backwards, low attacks below the knees are forward and left/right attacks are left/right.

You move into the direction that your opponent is attacking you from. You try to synchronize the place that his saber hits you, with the movement of your character. Id est: if I were to stand across from you, and I attack you on your top right (your right side, head-height), where do you move? Backwards, because it's a high attack, and right because it's on the right side of your body.

If someone attacks your left side, you move left, same goes for right.

Riposting:

Tap fake just before your enemy hits you, and parry in the right direction while doing it. This cashes in on where your opponent's mishap meter is and allows you to stumble, freeze, bounce, disarm and knock them down.

Power attacks:

Hold both MB1 and MB2. PAs allow you to do more damage to mishap and DP, and allow you to change the direction your attack comes from, but they are slower and take more FP to do.

Mishap:

Mishap is your concentration meter. The higher it goes the more prone you are to making mistakes when kicked, parried or riposted. High mishap causes knockdowns, freezes and disarms, medium causes bounces and stumbles while small amounts of mishap cause smaller stumbles.

The big thing about this is the In-Game part :p. I'll update this whenever the original is properly updated (major overhaul, if possible). I'm not really in the mood to go through 2-3 looong lines searching for spelling errors when there is no spell checker in wordpad. I'll get a spell checker for it later. As for color-coding by section: I did the color coding for ease of checking. Everything general is in its binded section, so the color coding is for ease of reading. Later on I might add a cycler to it to lessen the load on binds.

Well then... whoever is writing the manual here on the forums should get crackin' , I don't know enough about OJP-E to make a new one anyways.

If you guys want I could host a wiki. Just tell me where to get the wiki software (free) and I'll have it set up quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived