Home

Suggestions for saber styles

I was just playing OJP-E and the saber styles are kinda put 8 points in and you master the movements. For realism, thats wrong 100%. What is needed is a 3 tier system. Let me explain how the forms SHOULD work:

Form I/Shii-Cho: A well rounded form that is the basic style for all saberists. Weak vs. makashi and average against all else. Also known as the "Determination" form. It should work using determination when fighting!

Form II/Makashi: A form created for lightsaber combat, a true Makashi master can easily overcome its downfalls.

Weak vs. blasters. strong vs. sabers. average vs. force

Also known as the "Contention Form". It should work by using precise movements when fighting!

Form III/Soresu: A form created to combat blaster technology, Soresu is a defensive form that allows you to wait for the enemy to make a mistake then take advantage of that opening caused by the mistake.

Strong vs. Blasters, Average vs. Sabers and force. Super-low mishap and such from dodging and parrying (can out-wait the enemy).

Also known as the "Resilience" form. It should work by blocking enemies untill they get bounced then strikes quickly.

Form IV/Ataru: A form created to combat single enemies with the help of force-enhanced acrobatics. When using this style players should be able to perform acrobatics with little to no force usage (including jumps).

Average vs. Blasters, Average vs. Sabers, Average vs. force

Dishes out large, sweeping damage

Also known as the "aggression" form and should reflect that offensive capability along with low defensive blocks/parries but easy acrobatics

Form V/Shien: Also known as the "Perseverance" form. Best against multiple opponents with blasters, Shien doesn't do so well vs. single enemies

Good vs. blasters, below average vs. sabers and force

Form V/ Djem So: Also known as the "Perseverance" form. Best against multiple opponents with lightsabers, Djem so doesn't do so well vs. single enemies.

Good vs. Sabers, below average vs. blasters and force

Form VI/Niman: Also known as the "moderation" form. Niman takes less skill and time to learn so more skill can be put elsewhere. An attempt at blending all the other forms together, Niman is a jack-of-all trades style.

Average vs. Sabers, Blasters, Force

Form VII/ Juyo: Also known as the "ferocity" form, most of Juyo has been lost over the ages and thus can only be trained to rank 2. Best when being used in a full-tilt ongoing battle, Juyo practitioners emerse themselves into the battle and strike seemingly flowlessly.

Good vs. Sabers, Blasters, Very weak vs. Forec

Form VII/Vaapad: Also known as the "ferocity" form, Vaapad has only been mastered by 2 Jedi in its history because it brings the user so close to the dark side. Created by Mace Windu, Vaapad allows him to channel his inner darkness into a weapon of the light. Vaapad is a hard form to learn and requires all the other forms mastered and no dark powers to control properly.

Good vs. Sabers, Blasters, Force.

none of this may seem balanced and some styles may work the same way. Check out the wookieepedia for descriptions on the uses of these forms. I'm just throwing it out there that the saber system could use a few tweaks (including throwing in the variations of each form).

-TheDestroyer

Actually your assumption's incorrect. Each style has its own set of strengths and weaknesses tailored to players who fight a certain way.

Here's the current list of features for the saber styles as of v1.2 (they'll be in the official manual, and the descriptions are there when you select skills)

Shii-cho:

• Cheap to "learn"
  • Faster mishap regeneration
  • Decent all around style with average attack damage
  • Good for learning the basics.

Makashi:

• Slightly weak attack damage
  • Fast combo
  • Nonparried hits do mishap damage
  • Strikes to a slow bounced saberist will disarm them

Soresu:

• Weakest attack damage
  • Minimalistic attacks
  • Reduced DP cost from parries
  • Reduced DP damage from blaster bolt deflection

Ataru:

• Slightly less than average attack damage
  • Fast, twirling attacks
  • Cheap cost for acrobatics
  • Unparried running attacks do 3x damage
  • Overhead saberlocks don't cause knockdown

Djem So:

• Highest attack damage
  • Slow windup/return, fast combo
  • Strongest power attacks
  • Nonparried hits do FP damage

Niman:

• Good attack damage
  • Faster FP regen
  • Unconventional attack style angles

Juyo:

• Second best single saber attack damage
  • Above average combo
  • Fast windup/return
  • Power attacks do mishap damage
  • Enemies vulnerable to Force/kicks at lower mishap threshold

Dual:

• (Sorry forgot the damage rating)
  • Cheap power attacks
  • No disarm

Staff:

• Little extra damage
  • Two-ended blade helps with warding off people sneaking behind you

Updated: clarification of bonus --> feature

Yeah, "bonuses" probably isn't the precise word; "features" is probably closer to what I'm looking for.

The Ataru thing is an unintentional feature, a side effect of using dual saber animations. The overhead saberlock thing goes both ways actually - you can't get knocked down from an overhead saberlock, but you can't knock other people down with one either. If you switch stances following the initiation of an animation, the animation of the previous stance will continue to completion, so no, what you're proposing doesn't work.

That's a good, comprehensive list on the features of the saber styles. Though I could've sworn that me and Darth made sure that the bonuses were either amplified or more bonuses were added...

Oh well. I don't know lol.

Just in support of Tanq's list, I'd like to say that pretty much 80% of the animations for style attacks, bounces, knockaways, windups, cooldowns and transitions were tweaked to give styles certain bonuses over others. Remember to use G_saberanimspeed 1 for the best possible saber combat experience when V1.2 comes out.

Remember to use G_saberanimspeed 1 for the best possible saber combat experience when V1.2 comes out.

What's the default set on? if it isn't 1 it would be nice to add that to the mod somehow (depending on how fast it actually is.)

I noticed that on the TNTCLAN server saber combat went really fast compared to the regular combat lol.

Archived