Home

Pluto

I don't know of other bodies that may be more qualified, I was merely curious as to why they are the ones who get to choose what is a planet and what isn't.
It seems to me that an international community of experts should be the ones that get to decide. :)

It seems to me that an international community of experts should be the ones that get to decide. :)

We could of course nuke it to death, so that we don't have to bother with what it was or is.

It'll be simple: The first planet mankind has destroyed, yippieee !

Pro: - First planet wasted is not our earth, we could learn from it :lol:

Con: Leaves lots of loose rocks behind and how would we name these floating buggers...

Con: Leaves lots of loose rocks behind and how would we name these floating buggers...
Extrapolation: Bigger chunks get slung-shot through Jupiter's gravitation after the explosion. They strike Earth on their way to the Sun and cause the death of 95% of all life. :)

I don't care if Pluto is a planet or not, but... but... plutoid?! What's wrong with planetoid? >.>

Sort of like the cosmic equivalent of saying 'it's not the winning that counts, but the taking part'. Softening the blow by giving it a unique callsign, so poor Pluto's feelings aren't unduly hurt. Possibly.

The demotion of Pluto was necessary, otherwise other objects in the Belt that are larger than Pluto, or has the same size as Pluto, would also have to be promoted to Planet-status too.

Which would eventually lead to our Solar System having 5,650 Planets. Give or take a few 100.

"Did you hear about Pluto? That's messed up, right?" :D

Actually, I have no problem with their decision to demote Pluto. My complaint is that instead of just demoting Pluto or making Eris and Ceres planets, they decided on some lame compromise that upset everyone. Scientists, that's when you know you've done your job right. :xp:

Yes, Earth and Pluto were in the cosmic driveby of comets and SFC's getting knocked out of the galactic debri belt which caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, if that happened to be what you were talking about. (The Big Splash).

What belly button?

Pluto will always be a planet to me. :carms:

Agreed. :D

What belly button?

You know, the thing on your 'belly', a navel. :)

I don't like the name plutoid. I think that planetiod is much better. Plutiod though?! No way...

I was waiting this whole freakin thread to talk about how Pluto is a dog too...

Pluto.jpg

HMMM, lets nuke it !

I'm sure the gory parts won't be called plutoids or astroids.

If there's anything left ofcourse :lol:

Lets hope they don't start demoting are sun to some small class star...

Archived