Home

Debate:: Independent Side-Quests and Reward Systems. (On Sunday!)

The Source

Debate:: Independent Side-Quests and Reward Systems. (On Sunday!)

Welcome to our third installment in the KIII Summer Debate Series!

Join us on Sunday to debate about 'Independent Side-Quests and Reward Systems', and give your insights on how you would deal with them in creating a "KotOR III". Since this debate will be focused, I will set out the ground work on Sunday. Everyone is welcomed to join in the fun.

Time: 8:00 pm (E.S.T. - US)

When: Sunday - June 15, 2008 :D

Some of us wanted to have some fun, and we thought having a schedulled debate-discussion series would be neat. If you want to join in on the topics, come join us on Sunday - June 15, 2008 @ 8:00 pm EST. We are serving virtual beer, pizza, and a "KotOR III" debate. ;)

The day after tomorrow. ;)

I figured thats what he meant. :)

:rofl:

Seriously? I know what day it is, and that's not what it was where I live.

When I posted that, it was 12:31 AM EDT this morning - Saturday, June 14. Tomorrow was a very accurate description.

Thanks though ;)

_EW_

Sorry for my tardiness. I got caught up in playing “Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.”

Debate: Independent Side-Quests and Reward Systems. (On Sunday!) :: Spoilers Inside!

Welcome to our third installment in the KIII Summer Debate Series!

When it comes to story depth and variety, “Knights of the Old Republic I’ delivered in a massive and original way. Outside of the main Revan story arch, “KotOR I” gave the player a vast world of options and choices. As you travel with your companions, you enter into their psychological world of anger, sadness, and triumph. On top of the npc side-quests, the player was also confronted by other minor side-quests. “KotOR I” gives a player a multi-layered and in-depth experience, which includes independent npc side quests, secondary side quests, and a main story arch. Fast-forward a whole year later, “KotOR II” delivered a different experience. Instead of giving the npcs and pc the ability to fulfill independent side-quests, “KotOR II’s” main story arch fused your companions’ quests with your own. Kreia, Mira, Canderous, Atton, Visas, and Handmaiden’s story arch were built into the main quest. Within the structure and style of “KotOR I”, Jolee, Bastila, Mission, and Carth had independent side-quests. If you wanted to skip one of them, you were able to just ignore the character. “KotOR II” did allow you to fulfill a ‘turn an npc into a Jedi’ side quest, but it didn’t really involve too much action and adventure. Instead of following the “KotOR I” style of storytelling, “KotOR II” used extensive dialogue to convince your companions to turn into a Jedi or Sith. These are very different and unique forms of storytelling, which cater to two different types of audiences. Outside of the npc side quests, “KotOR I” had a multi-layered and in depth experience of the characters and events that unfolded around you. Everything from the simplest to largest creature had its story. “KotOR II’s” mini-side quests were simple and quick. Resolution of the side quests were only a few modules away from where they started. If you had a choice on the mater, which style of side-quests and storytelling do you want in “KotOR III”?

Another point of interest we will talk about is the reward system. “KotOR II” had delivered an interesting addition called ‘random loot’. When you play through the game, the loot you obtain will always alternate. Instead of getting similar items constantly, you were able to get alternative items on a second play through. “KotOR I’s” approach was more strategic in nature. When you play the game for a second, third, or fourth time, the items stay consistent. Some people may not like the ‘random loot’ approach. Should “KotOR III” have a ‘random loot’ system, ‘strategic loot’ system, or a ‘hybrid loot system’?

I don't really know how to answer the question. Both of the systems are unique, and I personally like both of them. The two systems are not perfect, but I like the both. I would probably have to go with the hybird on both the Independent Side-Quests and the Reward Systems because I like both of them. I think that with the hybird there would be room for improvement, like more of refining both of the systems. :)

If not hybird, I would probably have to go with a whole new system. I couldn't tell you what I would want though....

I like the random loot system that Mass Effect has. You always end up which item you want anyways, but there are not as much items in Mass Effect as there are in KOTOR i think. As for the side quests, there shouldn't be many, if any, if KOTOR III is going where we think it is going. but if some people want a lot of side quests, once you finish the game, you should be able to free roam or whatever to do the sidequests

Regarding the loot system, I prefer random drops from enemies unless they are "special" boss/sub-boss enemies that should have a special drop. Likewise for chests and containers, random is fine except for certain "special" containers with unique or plot critical items.

As for stores though, I wish they would be static. Because stores offer many items, there's just too much incentive to SAVE>RELOAD when they don't offer you a good selection (saber crystals on Nar Shadaa for example). Even early on on Telos, not reloading to be able to purchase some nice gear (robes for example) that will help you through the first planet or two requires a lot of restraint for me. If static stores means fewer uber items sometimes come up, I'd be willing to make that tradeoff.

I'm a big fan of side quests in general, though if I had to choose I would prefer a tighter main story if it meant the side quests would be distracting or unrealistic in terms of time (which I don't necessarily think would be the case). NPC-related side quests that occur in the midst of the story are functionally the best and multiple paths to the same plot points, which function as side quests, after a fashion (like getting noticed on Nar Shadaa), should be considered as well.

Well' date=' this wasn't much of a debate.[/quote']

Yeah. After posting the topic for debate, I realized that it was more of a discussion. Oops. I have some other interesting topics and debates in mind, and I will post two for this Sunday. I will let you people know the topics tomorrow night. One will be a discussion and the other will be a debate.

Summer "KotOR III" Debate Series

Archived