Home

Tim Russert Dies

Litofsky

I had signed up for text messages from Meet The Press. These normally arrive about 2pm on Fridays. Today, I happened to have left my phone in the car and after long day at work and fighting with the forums I was shocked into disbelief to read:

MTP Loyal fans:

With incredible sadness we share news of the passing of Tim Russert, a beloved member of our family & one of the world's finest journalists

I still can't quite believe it. It was all over the radio on the drive home. Right before Father's Day on Friday the 13th. No matter how late I stayed up on Saturdays, I'd always wake up in time to see him on Sunday morning (except last week due to the French Open). Always felt like Tim was asking the questions I wanted to ask. That he was looking out for me.

Plus he was a good dad and loved his own dad a great deal. I have his book "Wisdom of Our Fathers". It's just really sad to me, and I'm a little surprised that it's affected me this much.

Edit: I never said it to myself and actually only now do I realize it: he's been a hero for me for years.

Today, I happened to have left my phone in the car and after long day at work and fighting with the forums I was shocked into disbelief...

You and me both. I found out while I was refreshing the page, due to some error. Apparently, you posted a message containing the notice of his death. Needless to say that I was stunned, and speechless, for a moment.

Always felt like Tim was asking the questions I wanted to ask. That he was looking out for me.[/Quote] Same here. Tim Russert was the only reporter I truly believed. It did not matter if it was the Bush administration or the Clinton administrations he attacked both with equal zeal. The way he handled the Valerie Plame fiasco earned him great admiration from me.

Plus he was a good dad and loved his own dad a great deal.[/Quote] QFT. I’d just like to add he really sounded like a great son.
I have his book "Wisdom of Our Fathers". [/Quote] I would recommend “Wisdom of Our Fathers” and “Big Russ and Me.”
It's just really sad to me, and I'm a little surprised that it's affected me this much.[/Quote] I had a very busy day at work followed by a very busy evening with my family. I’m surprise my mother and stepfather did not mention Mr. Russert passing. Upon reading the thread I went looking for confirmation with the same disbelief in my heart as you do when you hear about a family members death and rush to the phone to hear it from someone else. Of the statements I read this one sums up my feelings.
AL GORE: Nashville, TN. The US and the world have a lost a great journalist, interviewer and author. He was an original and will be greatly missed.[/Quote] It is with great sadness in my heart that I say goodbye to “little Russ.”

I was remembering earlier on the Sunday before Super Tuesday, Russert rubbed his hands together with glee, turned to his guests and said, "We got a lot to talk about today! It's Christmas!" :lol: Only Russert would equate the two.

I heard it talked about on the radio and realized before they said he died that must have been what happened. Mostly from the somewhat somber tone. Only had to wait for the name to realize who it was. Only 58. Ashame, he probably had a good 15-20 years left to give to his career under happier circumstances.

Tim 'The Man' Russert. If I had an opportunity to meet anyone in life, I would had loved to have known him personally. During the Monica events of President Clinton, I became interested in watching "Meet the Press". Mr. Russert was an all out intellegant and caring individual. We have lost an individual who can never truely be replaced. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

"If its Sunday, its Meet the Press."

The Source

I heard about it over the weekend. A great blow to journalism, IMO. Tim Russert had to be the most impartial and therefore credible personality in network news. He grilled politicians from both parties equally with the tenacity of a pit bull. A true professional, he made viewers think without trying to tell them what to think. He will never be replaced.

• 4 months later...

I would have loved to see Russert moderate one of the debates--I think he would have been able to tease out a lot more information from both candidates than the other moderators were able to. I think he would have been horrified by some of the blatantly unashamed media fawning over Obama, and to be fair been equally horrified by the fawning over McCain by conservative media.

Hannity declared that true journalism died in Election 2008. I think it died when Tim Russert died.

I think it died when Tim Russert died.
QFT.

I would have loved to have heard Russert’s opinion on the significances of America electing an African-American to the highest office in the land. I really believe Russert would have captured what I was feeling in my heart, but unable to articulate.

This is not saying that Russert would have been fawning over Obama. I do believe he would have captured the importance of the night for America.

• 3 weeks later...
Today, Friday, June 12th, Tim Russert, the NBC News Washington Bureau Chief has died, at the age of 58. I, personally, enjoyed watching Meet the Press, and I'm sure that his audience will sorely miss him. Here are a few links.

His family has my condolences.

Yeah it was a bummer. I didn't agree with a lot of his political views, but, I defy anyone to find a more objective ethical journalist. You won't find one.

I did TV productions in high school. So I have to at least give props to Tim.

However I left the field by the end of high school because I wasn't cut out for all the conniving backstabbing scum. You work 4 years to becoming director learning all the things about leadership, then some kiss @$$ charms his way ahead of you. Nobody listened to him, because he didn't have anybody's respect either. So he was just some retorting grumpy punk.

As far as Russert, he kept all the minions in place and asked all the tough questions that needed to be asked. Iron nosed. I respect that and I will miss that aspect of his journalism.

Archived