Home

Best Video Game Soundtracks

Oh you didn't...
Yes, I did. I'm a sucker for dramatic music :p

I love the Jedi theme from TSL. It's sort of filled with a false hope; the long strings contradicting the triumphant brass. I don't know about you but it gives me goosebumps
Oh, how could I forget this? I loved it! I found it so strangely wistful.

So many have already been mentioned, but just to confirm it:

The Hitman series - this game has the best music around.

Assassin's Creed - has to be on second place since the same guy did the music for this game and for the Hitman series.

Dawn of War - Very very cool music.

VTM: Bloodlines - excellent themes and even better songs at various ingame clubs.

Mafia - it'll really make you feel like you're living in the thirties.

Warcraft 2 - this game has some really great music themes, even better than Warcraft 3, which also has a very good soundtrack.

Command & Conquer series - take your pick, every game has great music.

Grim Fandango - not only is this the best adventure game I've ever played, it also has the best music among adventure games. Monkey Island follows closely.

Heroes of Might and Magic III, IV and V - regardless of what you think of the HoMM series, you can't deny it has a great soundtrack.

Legacy of Kain series - let's not forget these games. Besides having a great story and the best voice acting I've heard, there's also some great music.

Deus Ex: Invisible War - say what you want, but I think it's a great sequel with some very good themes and songs.

Jade Empire - do I really need to go into detail when it comes to this game?

KoTOR 1 & 2 - great games with great original soundtracks.

I forgot: Intro music in BF:1942

That was an awesome game. How long did it take you to realise that you had to build toilets? It took me about a week.

Pavlos gains 100 cool points, and to answer your question: I only realized it after I was making more money shooting rats than curing people (I thought the toilet sign above their heads was a new disease, so I sacrifised them to the science machine):D

Freedom fighters

had a so so soundtrack, had the game not been an utter piece of rubbish I might have liked it more.

My friend said of the Halo 3 theme that, and I quote, "It just sounds like they tried to make riverdance epic. Furthermore, they tried to do so by adding Gregorian chant and someone wailing occasionally." :xp:

Which is true... but I quite like my epic riverdance music; even if the game it was attached to was a bit, well, naff, really. >_<

Some other games with good music that no one's mentioned yet:

- Knights of Honor

- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time; a nice blend of rock and persian music

- Ico; especially the ending/credits song "You Were There"

- Battle Isle 2; particularly tracks 2, 3, 16, and 'Jogrwai'

- Drakengard (or at least the track that plays on its website - I've never actually played the game...)

- Ahriman's Prophecy

- Princess Maker 2

I don't really remember Freedom Fighters having exceptional music; I'm inclined to agree with mur'phon....

@Arcesious: Republic Commando's title screen/menu music always reminds of 'Duel of the Fates.' Love it!

@igyman: I liked Warcraft 3's soundtrack better; Warcraft 2's music all seemed like minor variations on essentially the same song. WoW has some good music, too.

@Rabish Bini: Wikipedia says "Release Me" can refer to 3 different songs. Which one were you referring to?

-Any game with music by Jeremy Soule (all Guild Wars campaigns, Kotor, Elder Scrolls III and IV, etc.)

QFE.

The Ace Combat Series has it's good songs, like the AC5 and AC6 main themes.

Republic Commando had some really good orginal Star Wars-y songs.

The First Splinter cell game had some good music in it, and I also think it was made by Rage Against The Machine, if I'm not mistaken. It has Tom Morello's theme throughout the songs.

Metal Gear Solid Series FTW.

• 1 month later...

Through my nostalgia glasses:

Turbo Outrun - C64

Thunderforce IV - Megadrive

Streets Of Rage - Megadrive

More recently:

Silent Hill - Playstation

I've plainly got to play more games. I can count the number of games I've seriously played this last 3 years on one hand. Hmmm, let me do it:

- Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

- Tomb Raider: Legend & Anniversary

- Pro Evolution Football

- X2 (Egosoft)

- Kotor

- Civilization IV

From these none has a stand out soundtrack, tho' the Tomb Raider soundtracks were well done. Good to see plenty of tips from yous anyway.

• 6 months later...

Off ze toppen mein headt:

Deus Ex

Pretty much all the soundtrack, sheer beauty

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Average soundtrack, but the main menu theme is the second best I've ever heard

Age of Empires III

Music gets weary, annoying almost, but is pretty awesome until it doesn't

Morrowind

Few tracks, but very good ones; extremely memorable main menu theme

Dungeon Siege

Another Jeremy Soule classic, fantastic themes

Knights of the Old Republic

Unique themes give it a very exotic, elevated air

Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

Not memorable, but the extensively builds the gloomy atmosphere

Planescape: Torment

As quirky as the game's aesthetic, not particularly smashing or likeable, but very very good

American McGee's Alice

The most gothic soundtrack I've heard yet, very atmospheric, morose and macabre

Rome: Total War

Absolutely brilliant workmanship, immersive, grandiose and intense. Sheer brilliance.

Golden Sun & Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Very beautiful melodies and incredible work for a GBA game (then again, the production values for the game were way beyond other GBA games, so it doesn't come as a surprise)

Unreal Tournament games

Difficult to name any one, all of them have some tracks that are very catchy, especially the Onslaught ones in UT2004 and the HyperSpace track and of course, UT2003's opening

Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Half-Life 2 has delivered some good music overall, but Vortal Combat and Sector Sweep are absolutely indispensable

Call of Duty

Very hard-hitting tracks, especially the main menu track and the Stalingrad track, very professional

Civilization IV

Not only a great selection of classicals, but the greatest main menu track ever: Baba Yetu

Portal

'Still Alive' makes it all worth it ;)

Republic Commando

Very different music for a Star Wars game, very forceful and unique

For me it is a tad difficult to choose.

Games that I enjoyed listening to were games like Deus Ex, Kotor, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect etc. But the problem with those games is, I could never really enjoy listening to their music outside of the game. Their music suited the game too well

Games that I really enjoyed their soundtracks outside of the game as well however were most of the Grand Theft Auto series except for the first game and Liberty City stories (absolutely no good music in that game. One of the worst GTA games I have ever played. Felt to much like a rip off of both San Andreas and GTA 3 except with a lot of the good stuff taken out). Along with Half Life (the first game's music was really, really good), Max Payne (Byzantine Power game FTW), the Driver series (in every game excluding the mobile games and Parallel Lines, it's music always suited the tone and was especially good outside of the game. Perfect music to listen to while actually driving. One of the main things I always enjoyed using the film editor for ingame was to listen to that great music while the video was playing.), Syphon Filter (the first three games had perfect hardcore action music. Really was cool to listen to on my 360 to other games) and Golden Sun (a lot of its music had a perfect fantasy theme to it. I often enough found myself playing Morrowind on the Xbox to these tracks or even more rarely Oblivion *shudders*

Archived