Home

New Direction

Darca Lar

I recently purchased Mass Effect and played through for awhile and then thought about the KOTOR series. And I realized the depth and originality in Mass Effect's story is awesome, while K1 and 2 have about the same setup: K1 youre on the run from the Sith after they attacked your ship; K2 you're on the run from the Sith after they attacked Peragus. After that you go on the path of the force and save the Galaxy. The only real difference is who made the two games.

What I'm trying to say is that IF K3 is made, there shouldn't be running from the Sith right from the get go. Why not go more in depth like a settler from Corellia who searches for treasure and ends up finding more than what he expected. Or a veteran Republic soldier who gets left behind on the battlefield and stumbles upon a Jedi and Sith in combat. Th Jedi almost dies but the untapped power in the PC bursts for moment out of instinct and saves the Jedi. What do you guys think?

K1 and 2 have about the same setup: K1 youre on the run from the Sith after they attacked your ship; K2 you're on the run from the Sith after they attacked Peragus. After that you go on the path of the force and save the Galaxy. The only real difference is who made the two games.

The only real difference is who made the two games.

Not true.

Take a moment and think about the various plots, characters, and (in TSL's case) hidden themes and deeper meanings. No offense intended, but that above paragraph leaves so much out I don't even want to spend the time listing what it did. :/

And I realized the depth and originality in Mass Effect's story is awesome, while K1 and 2 have about the same setup: K1 youre on the run from the Sith after they attacked your ship; K2 you're on the run from the Sith after they attacked Peragus. After that you go on the path of the force and save the Galaxy.

First of all, you only run in Endar Spire, Taris, and Peragus. The other times are hunting for the Star Maps.

Secondly, that is the basic plot of the game. Almost all basic plots of games are the same. Save this, kill that. It's how it is executed which makes the difference. You can have a killer idea for the game, but it could still be crap. You need to look closer than what things appear to be to truly appreciate it.

What I'm trying to say is that IF K3 is made, there shouldn't be running from the Sith right from the get go. Why not go more in depth like a settler from Corellia who searches for treasure and ends up finding more than what he expected. Or a veteran Republic soldier who gets left behind on the battlefield and stumbles upon a Jedi and Sith in combat. Th Jedi almost dies but the untapped power in the PC bursts for moment out of instinct and saves the Jedi. What do you guys think?

Well, I guess that is all depends on what you want in the game. I think that it would be kinda cool to be something other than a Jedi/Sith in the game; however, I doubt that would happen. The reason beign is that this is Star Wars here! Looking at KotOR & KotOR II the Jedi is the main character. That is normally what the game is centered around. It just doesn't seem likely in my eyes. Don't get me wrong though, I think that it would be cool if you were something other that a Jedi. :)

As for the other part, I can't answer it because I have never played Mass Effect. :)

If KOTOR III was like Mass Effect, but with lightsabers, it would be nice. I know it would take away the RPG elements of KOTOR, but who cares? It would be nice to hear the PC actually talk in the game. That would get rid of the "Who am I? Where am I?" and having to wait 4 hours to become a Jedi/Sith. And I know this won't happen since KOTOR III is never going to made, but I would like to see that KOTOR III.

First of all, you only run in Endar Spire, Taris, and Peragus. The other times are hunting for the Star Maps.

Secondly, that is the basic plot of the game. Almost all basic plots of games are the same. Save this, kill that. It's how it is executed which makes the difference. You can have a killer idea for the game, but it could still be crap. You need to look closer than what things appear to be to truly appreciate it.

I think you might have misinterpreted what I meant. I do truly appreciate both games, they were great; I still play them. I'm just saying that it would be cool if the third game didn't start with a surprise Sith attack.

If K3 would go further than both of those however, it could have the potential to be better than its predecessors.

Although at the same time, it's called Star Wars. Look at the movies: Most of them start off in a dangerous situation or a straight-up battle. Plus fighting is basically the core of the gameplay and is no doubt one reason they always throw you straight into it.

Fighting is the core of the gameplay, right? I didn't say it's the core of the game at all- I am 100% in love with the game for the story, not the fighting- but the gameplay is fight driven. It's how you get experience to get levels to be better at everything else. It's the core of the playing part, not the thing as a whole.

Fighting is the core of the gameplay, right? I didn't say it's the core of the game at all- I am 100% in love with the game for the story, not the fighting- but the gameplay is fight driven. It's how you get experience to get levels to be better at everything else. It's the core of the playing part, not the thing as a whole.

Not necesarilly, it's true there is alot of fighting in actual gameplay and it does give a substantial amount of xp, but there are many missions and sidequests that dont involve fighting (although it may be an option) and give much xp and valuable items.

but it doesn't mean that perhaps the game couldn't begin a little slower. Episode I for example didn't go right into it: it started with a scheduled negotiation that eventually never took place.

Yeah, and it also sucked too in the eyes of a lot of people.

Yeah, and it also sucked too in the eyes of a lot of people.

Eh, I thought it was a better movie than ATC actually, (though of the prequels, RTS always wins :xp:) and that it wouldn't have been as good if it had started right in the middle of a battle we knew nothing about. The beginning set it up fairly well, and most of the audience knew what was going on when the guns started blazing-about 10 minutes later.

I wouldn't really call fighting the core of the game, but it is essential. Of course, the story is way more important. As for Revan and the Exile hunting down the Sith... great idea, but how would it work in terms of game mechanics? Especially considering this is an RPG series, and will probably stay that way in the next one.

Eh, I thought it was a better movie than ATC actually, (though of the prequels, RTS always wins :xp:) and that it wouldn't have been as good if it had started right in the middle of a battle we knew nothing about. The beginning set it up fairly well, and most of the audience knew what was going on when the guns started blazing-about 10 minutes later.

It was a decent movie in my eyes, definately not as bad as many people make it out to be. And yes, Revenge of the Sith will always be top movie when it comes to the prequels :D. Many reviewers rate it better than Return of the Jedi (even a New Hope, too), but that's for another thread.

I wouldn't really call fighting the core of the game, but it is essential. Of course, the story is way more important. As for Revan and the Exile hunting down the Sith... great idea, but how would it work in terms of game mechanics? Especially considering this is an RPG series, and will probably stay that way in the next one.

If there's a next one. Fighting isn't the core of an RPG (at least not this one); it's definately the story.

That's what I thought too...at first, but once I really sat down and watched it, I thought it was a really compelling, good movie.

That's kinda the problem with a lot of people. They only watch it once and just instantly label it with a 1-star rating. Sometimes it takes a second viewing to form a true opinion on any subject.

Archived