Home

Getting Windows to play PC games on my Mac Pro: XP or Vista?

gm5k

thanks guys. really appreciate it. ill be buying XP on my college campus for a nice price :D

All of you were quick to bag Vista. If you actually tried it for yourself, you would have found all your games worked. Sure, you needed a LITTLE tweaking. Heck, I even got Duke3D to work.

All of you were quick to bag Vista. If you actually tried it for yourself, you would have found all your games worked. Sure, you needed a LITTLE tweaking. Heck, I even got Duke3D to work.

For the record I do have a laptop with Vista on ;) Though its not my main one; it serves only as a back up.

but what are the benefits of Vista that would make doing this tweaking worth the effort?

You'll have more support for newer games, if you want to play some of those. But the latest games out still work with XP. In my experience Vista runs at the same speed as XP, sometimes faster after disk defrags and cleanups. And Vista is better looking than XP (if that does anything for you) and has DX10, though there is hardly a difference between DX10 and DX9 and not every game runs on DX10, only newer games. Still to run DX10 you need a DX10 capable card, which by the sounds of your Mac, you do.

but what are the benefits of Vista that would make doing this tweaking worth the effort?

For one, you will have DirectX10 graphics, which look like this:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
book11-lighting2.jpg

I find it much, much easier to find my way around after 2 weeks of Vista. After using Vista, I never even want to see an XP again.

You may finally want to answer me this... Why is it that pretty much all the tech savvy people I know are in consensus that Vista is bad? Especially such as my friends round the corner at the localcomputer shop who are on the 'front line' so to speak? And then among all my friends who are gamers, their is still a preference to XP. If you are then going to tell me Office 2007 is good, you are biased as charged. ;)

My bro actually works for Leading Solutions, a company which specializes in computers and he actually is their best seller, and he got us Vista, saying it was good. He likes it, he says it's on par if not even better than XP. So, you're friends may sell comps at a Computer Store, but my bro actually sells them for a big COMPANY!!

As did I, Duke Nukem 3D Atomic worked perfectly on mine, AND THERE WASN'T ANY NEED FOR ANY TWEAKING!! It worked perfectly straight away.

My bro actually works for Leading Solutions, a company which specializes in computers and he actually is their best seller, and he got us Vista, saying it was good. He likes it, he says it's on par if not even better than XP. So, you're friends may sell comps at a Computer Store, but my bro actually sells them for a big COMPANY!!

I have friends who work in the IT department at the head office of Bridgestone in the UK; last time I checked they hated Vista :xp:

As did I, Duke Nukem 3D Atomic worked perfectly on mine, AND THERE WASN'T ANY NEED FOR ANY TWEAKING!! It worked perfectly straight away.

To get the best out of the latest games it is advisable to tweek your system, most games will run fine straight away, this doesn't however mean you maybe getting the best of the game. For example Oblivion, has various tweeks that make it run far better and graphical improvements; both by tweeking the computer and the game itself.

:fist:

went to my school today to get the OS, and they didn't have XP or Vista 64. they just had Vista 32 :(

said they should get more XP and Vista 64's in next week...

KOTOR TSL arrives today, and I won't be able to play it :firemad:

hey guys, does windows XP 64 bit edition allow you to use more than 3 gigs of ram? i doubt i need more than that for my purposes anyway...just curious.

:fist:

went to my school today to get the OS, and they didn't have XP or Vista 64. they just had Vista 32 :(

said they should get more XP and Vista 64's in next week...

KOTOR TSL arrives today, and I won't be able to play it :firemad:

hey guys, does windows XP 64 bit edition allow you to use more than 3 gigs of ram? i doubt i need more than that for my purposes anyway...just curious.

Yeah, but 64-bit XP is horrible.

id be playing TSL right now if my stupid school wasn't sold out of OS's...

:mad2:

i can see it now...all that F'ing BS on Telos...then becoming completely evil and destroying that alien race on the 2nd planet...then lightsaber goodness...

btw, i can't believe Lightsaber is considered a mispelled word on this site. this is no SW spellcheck :lol:

Archived