Home

Why Our Status Online Means Nothing In Real Life.

The Source

I won't. If I'm asking a question or I need help, having a reputation (see Achilles or Jae if you disagree with the idea that you have an online reputation) for being a knowledgeable person will make me much more likely to believe you. Especially if it has to do with experience (i.e. modding)

_EW_

Well, yes, but I don't see the "innocent until proven guilty". I know (and hopefully everyone else knows) that the number of posts you have here has about zip to do with your intelligence. So if a Lurker says he knows the answer to my question and a mod says "well, maybe..." I might darn well just listen to the one who's sure!

Besides, who would waste the time to judge a person's reputation here? That's meaningless, really. All that matters is the socializing with so many diverse and facinating people.

Aha! Right. But I agree that people HAVE A reputation online, if not that it matters oh so much. There are certain members for which I have great respect. But usually, if the person is acting good, then I'll listen to him, and if not, then I won't.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait until you get out of college :(

I met very few people at uni who would discuss things such as this; educational standards in the UK are dropping; usual uni conversations between my friends would revolve around last nights drinking antics and what was on TV :(

@ topic: On-line reputation will effect if you are listened too or not, for example spammers tend not to be listened too; while someone who continually produces good quality posts is more likely to be heard. If you are a member of a community for any amount of time; you will pick up that some individuals command more respect than others, tis the way of things. While if someone is a moderator or not has little bearing as to if I think they are worth listening too; there are those whose opinions I value more than others. And to be honest moderators general have gained their position for a reason....

Well, yes, but I don't see the "innocent until proven guilty". I know (and hopefully everyone else knows) that the number of posts you have here has about zip to do with your intelligence. So if a Lurker says he knows the answer to my question and a mod says "well, maybe..." I might darn well just listen to the one who's sure!

If someone with 2 posts says it's possible to make a mod that changes the level cap in K1, and a mod (or a longer-time user) says ''Oh, I think that's wrong because it might be hardcoded," who are you going to believe?

Sureness != accuracy.

I don't care if the person with 2 posts knows exactly how to do it by editing the *.exe or not. It doesn't make it possible because he's sure of it.

Whut? When did this happen?

Oh, like you don't have an online reputation? and neither does Jae? ;)

Not sure how you can debate that point. :D

@ topic: I agree that one's "online status" on this forum or that forum does not translate into "real life", however I do think that one's ability to think, process information, absorb ideas, etc are skill sets that can be honed in one place and used in another.

I agree.

_EW_

>.>

<.<

Our covers are blown, Achilles.

The names Onasi... Jae Onasi.

The names Achilles.... Achilles.

:D Well I thought that was funny!

I have to make a correction. When I referred to Rollo May, I was thinking about his work on the 'Actual Self'. He was a psychologist by nature, and he was interested in 'Existentialism'. Lol... Sorry for the mix up. Lol...

Existentialism is more in the domain of philosophy than psychology; I must confess I haven't heard of Rollo May.

Oh, like you don't have an online reputation? and neither does Jae? ;)
What that reputation looks like though depends a great deal on who's holding it, no?

Ask one of the people on my friends list and they might describe my reputation one way. Ask one of the people on my ignore list and they might describe it another. Odds are that even the favorable descriptions don't all sound alike.

So at the risk of splitting hairs, pointing out that I have "a reputation" doesn't tell me much :)

Not sure how you can debate that point. :D
Please ignore what I said above then :D

Our covers are blown, Achilles.
So it would seem :ninja2:

The names Onasi... Jae Onasi.

The names Achilles.... Achilles.

:D Well I thought that was funny!

Foiled again. And this time by the lack of a proper surname.

*cries*

What that reputation looks like though depends a great deal on who's holding it, no?

Ask one of the people on my friends list and they might describe my reputation one way. Ask one of the people on my ignore list and they might describe it another. Odds are that even the favorable descriptions don't all sound alike.

Absolutely right.

So at the risk of splitting hairs, pointing out that I have "a reputation" doesn't tell me much :)

True, but I was just using you as an example to concretely show that online reputations exist. So the fact that I didn't tell you much is a bit irrelevant. :)

Please ignore what I said above then :D

You debated what your reputation was... not whether or not you had one.

So it would seem :ninja2:

Foiled again. And this time by the lack of a proper surname.

*cries*

Sorry for ruining your secret and for you being incorrectly named.

You may cry on my shoulder if you'd like :xp:

_EW_

This is true in "real life" as well. ;)

Employers need workers' date=' if the workers are too few to meet demand, the employers compeete with each other for the workers. If the workers wish to leave at 5:00 pm, then an employer who gives them that option will, everything else being equal, be the prefered choice for the workers.[/quote']

Well, people willing to stay late and such does not always mean people that are more effective. And you do need a mix of mediocore people with more options AND people that are really effective. Obviously that best would be people that are really effective and will give you many options, but thats gonna cost you much more $$$. And chances are, they *know* they are valuable so they will be ready to "move on" in a heartbeat.

Seriously those "small annoying tasks" should be gone along with the silly rules in the system. Remember, employment market is all supply and damand. So if you are actually Better (more effective etc) at your job compared to other people that are similarly paid, chances are they would allow you to forget about the silly things and let the poorer guys handle it. Either that or you can find a better job.

Dude, I can't think of ONE person who made it big because of confidence in their online status, give us a celebrity who made it big...

As much as I HATE to accept it, there is a jerk called soulja boy.

Let me get this straight. The argument goes something like this:

1) The internet allows young people to develop an online persona that is distinct from their real persona.

2) A young person's online persona may be of higher standing within their online community than within their real-life community, such as work.

3) Young people confuse their online social standing with their work social standing and are not as committed to work because of it.

I don't buy it. I think the explanation is simpler. Young people are generally less committed to work than older people. I know I am a much better worker at 42 than I was at 22.

Let me get this straight. The argument goes something like this:

1) The internet allows young people to develop an online persona that is distinct from their real persona.

2) A young person's online persona may be of higher standing within their online community than within their real-life community, such as work.

3) Young people confuse their online social standing with their work social standing and are not as committed to work because of it.

I don't buy it. I think the explanation is simpler. Young people are generally less committed to work than older people. I know I am a much better worker at 42 than I was at 22.

I'm not as old as Jim is, but I would tend to agree that what he said is true.

_EW_

Your online status can mean something, but it depends on what you do. Like if you're an average gamer who lives in your mom's basement. Your online status probably doesn't mean anything in the real world then.

Archived