Home

ATI cage match: 9600 vs. 8500

Relenzo2

I simply do not know the answer. I have a 200 Xpress, and it's painfully obvious that's not as good as the cards with names in the thousands, but the new releases on ATI's official website seem to all be in the three and two thousands. So I can't figure out whether the numbers go up or down! Which graphics card is better: ATI Radeon's "All-in-Wonder" 8500 or the 9600 "Pro" card?

Thank you geek city! Pro is better then; I might not be able to buy it anyway. Same reason for not getting Nvidia; Also, I don't understand the cards they make or how they compare, and one reason for spending this much is to get a card definately compatible with KOTOR! *yay, SW roleplaying!*

Thank you geek city! Pro is better then; I might not be able to buy it anyway. Same reason for not getting Nvidia; Also, I don't understand the cards they make or how they compare, and one reason for spending this much is to get a card definately compatible with KOTOR! *yay, SW roleplaying!*

I have had no compatibility issues, when I got my laptop my NVIDIA card had only just been released; while neither KotOR or TSL recognize my graphics card in the system check, both run maxed, and no lag or any graphical problems :)

To expand on what jonathan7 posted. Really it just depends on what drivers you have running with your graphics card, its usually recommended to have the latest video drivers installed. The card itself gives you the ability have better graphics, but the drivers are what makes the video card compatible with the OS, games, and other applications.

Both Ati and NVidia make good cards. It might have been true several years ago that nvidia had better drivers but it is no longer the case. I have cards from both companies (Ati x1950xtx and nVidia 8800gts 512 MB) and the latest nVidia drivers have been giving me far more trouble than Ati's (texture corruption issues with certain formats, AA issues too sometimes.) On the other hand, Ati has had issues with its recent drivers for AGP cards.

Note that the 9000 and 8000 Ati series are old cards from several years ago. The radeon 9600 was a pretty good card at that time but I wouldn't really recommend it any longer unless you want to play only Kotor and games from 3-4yrs ago and are on a seriously tight budget. I have been playing Kotor completely maxed out with an Ati 9800pro some years ago but today, that card isn't enough for new games.

Nvidia has just released its new series a few days ago, the G200 (GTX280 and GTX260). Ati will release its new cars, the x4000, on June 25 (after the 9000 series, there have been four and soon five card series (x100, x1000, x2000, 3000 and in a few days, the 4000 series). Nvidia latest series were the 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000 and now the G200.

However, newer cards might not be suitable for your computer either and we don't know if you have an AGP or PCI-e slot, what kind of power supply (the latest cards are rather power hungry) and processor you have. Since you have an x200 radeon express card, I highly doubt that the rest of the machine is up for one of those cards. Perhaps if you provide us with more information as to what kind of computer you have (detailed info), what you intend to do with your pc (what kind of games you intend to play) and your budget, we might be able to make better recommendations.

Edit: moving the thread to the work bench as this has nothing to do with modding...

I see. Well, I'm considering the card because I want to play Guild Wars Platinum and KotOR, but with a purchase like this, if I buy it, I want to be able to play every game on the shelf! I know I used the Xpress card as an example, but on the computer I would use the new card with, it currently says under Display Adaptors that I have an "Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family". The name practically ooses ship-ed low-powerness.

As for the computer, it's running a Vista used by the whole family. The computer itself is a- well, it says the System Model is GG758AV-ABA s3100y, and the Type is and X86-based PC. I don't expect that to mean much. It's a HewlettPackard-Pavilion with a 3-Gigahertz processor, just over one Gigabyte in physical memory available and just over 4 Gigs of virtual mem, three or so of which are available. I couldn't find anything about hte power source, so I'll just assume I have enough power. I'm using an outlet and power divider though, if that's what you mean.

I have two PCI's, but I don't even know what an AGP is. The PCI's are small because the PC is small, but with a special frame you can put in cards made for normal-sizes. I think we have one because we put in a network card a while back, then switched to a USB-based one when it didn't work. I hope at least some of this helps.

BTW: I want to keep from spending too much more than $100, so some of those newer cars are a bit too good. And am looking for how much power we have here, but it probably is nothing special.

System Model is GG758AV-ABA s3100y

Found the specs here: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-slimline-s3100y/4507-3118_7-32486233

The good: you have a pci-e x16 slot.

Not very good but ok depending on what you play (more than sufficient for Kotor!): the processor is a bit old and it would be pointless to pair it with a super card as it would just bottleneck it. If the PSU could handle it (and yours cannot), I wouldn't go any higher than a 8600gt, which you can get for about $50 after rebate in the US (note that there are two versions of the 8600gt: a ddr2 and a ddr3...the latter is better)..

The very bad: the PSU. HP is known to skimp on the PSU but the one on your PC particularily bad...according to HP's replacement part site, your PC has a 160 Watt PSU (searching for model s3000y gives me the "Part 5188-7520 Power supply - 160-watt regulated output" ). I just can't see which card you could install with that. I don't think it is even enough for an old card like the 9600pro (you could try but you'd be pushing your luck) :giveup:

You could possible buy a new PSU is you want (with 100$ you could get both a PSU and a video card) but I wouldn't invest much more on that PC if it were me.

Plaid! I figured something like this would happen... but at least now I don't have to take apart the computer to find the power level! Thnks for the no end of help anyway. I guess now I'll... well, I'll... play some more... pacman. But a free one. *Plaid!*

EDIT: I went to the HP replacement site and tried to check the specs for my XP computer, but I couldn't find a thing about the PSU or the wattage. The Cnet site was the same, it didn't even have the computer and the link was broken. How exactly do I check it, if it's that simple?

Archived