Home

OJP V1.2 stance modifications

Tanqexe

are you continually updating the link or are you going to finish it all then release?

Well, here's what I had planned:

1st release: retooled saber stances

2nd release: retooled gun stances + melee

3rd release: miscellaneous animation fixes

I've got saber stances mostly figured out. What I'd like is for you guys to provide some gun stances that you might want to see - I don't want to make a pack of gun stances and have people not like it after the fact.

is it possible for me to edit my own animation cfg to make the djem stance you made the juyo one? and if so what are the command lines for the shii-cho stance, soresu stance, and djem so stance? i already know makashi and juyo.

Link's not updated. I guess I wasn't being clear about having discrete releases with that list.

These aren't stance animations jacked from the original _humanoid.gla, though. The stances are all freshly cooked out of Dragon and merged. You'll need the new merged GLA file for it to work.

And dude, D'halaine, I got nothing against you, but pimping your stuff in my thread isn't cool, no matter the intention.

Sorry Tangexe, but I just thought that there are some pretty good enhancements that I think you should include (mostly the BOTH_KNOCKDOWN2 anim).

BTW, I've got some old Force stances that Wytchking made once upon a time, that I really think we should base our own Force anims on. Have a look at it, will ya?

Animation Requests - Filefront Gaming Forums

I'm posting about OUR modification, and I'm coming with suggestions for animations for God's sake!

Why don't you have a look at what I'm posting (like the forum link for example), before you state that I'm acting rude by giving him suggestions and requests?

Now, back on topic. When will you give us an update with the new Makashi stance? It looks really good, very relaxed. I like that.

All I see is specific jedi's personal stance preferences...

So if Tanq does so well, maybe we'll give players a choice. For ex. 3 stances to choose in one style. There are so many stances from previous versions and these new that it is possible.

This here file will give you a few modifications to the stances currently in v1.2. This isn't really an official OJP change of stances, just a mix of my personal preference of stances.

I'm in the process of learning Dragon so that I can make some additional frames to better simulate breathing. In the meantime, these are some of the stances that I've come up with using the existent humanoid.gla - apparently the .gla size has been doubled because identical frames have been replicated and tacked on to the original (didn't realize the extent until I waded through half of the frames :/ ).

Download stance mod here

Current list of affected stances:

• Shii-cho
  • Makashi
  • Juyo

Shii-cho:

This is a "breathing" Shii-cho stance, a relaxed hasso no kamae, simple and effective position to launch attack and defense from, as is in the spirit of what Shii-cho is intended for. It's similar to the old Shii-cho, except the saber's pointed forward a tiny bit in a slightly threatening posture. The stance is also a bit similar to the default KotOR lightsaber stance. If possible I'd make a Shii-cho variation that resembles chuudan no kamae for a side by side comparison.

Shii-cho: front left 3/4

Shii-cho: rear

Shii-cho: right

Makashi:

OK, not a lot of choices for Makashi right now, but this one's a lot more relaxed than the previous incarnations that we have used. Nothing's more deceptively arrogant than assuming a relaxed, almost lackadaisical off-center low guard that other people think they can take advantage of. However, the grip is still a classical fencer's grip, slightly angled for maximum dexterity of the wrist. A forward grip like this preserves the range, precision, and fine manipulation incredibly lacking in a reverse grip. The older version of this stance looked way too uncomfortable - imagine having to raise your arm up like that all the time, it gets tiring after a very short while - or the reverse grip, where you're probably feeling like you're going to develop arthritis someday from having to hold that saber in that particular way.

Added bonus is that if you use a curved hilt (as shown in the pictures below), if you look down slightly below horizontal, your saber drags a little bit on the floor, adding to the relaxed yet menacing posture of the stance.

Makashi: right side

Makashi: front right 3/4 #1

Makashi: front right 3/4 #2 (saber dragging)

Makashi: front view

Makashi: front left 3/4

Makashi: rear left 3/4

Makashi: rear view

Makashi: rear right 3/4

Juyo:

A stance suitable to the spirit of Juyo and looks a bit like kasumi no kamae. This stance is assumed for situations where, as an example, the other guy is threatening you with a jodan and you aim your sword right between his eyes. It's meant to be a deceptive stance where it's hard to predict whether you'll move up for a parry or simply cut the other guy's head in one swift movement. In addition, because of the threatening nature of kasumi, you subtly hinder the choice of movement from your opponent. You're also leaving yourself open intentionally to bait the other guy to attack in a manner that overextends themselves from center line, leaving you with an opportunity to spill their guts open. Swift attack and defense can be launched from this position at unconventional angles.

Juyo: right side

Juyo: front right 3/4 #1

Juyo: front right 3/4 #2

Juyo: front #1

Juyo: front #2

Juyo: left 3/4

Juyo: left side

Juyo: rear left 3/4

It's similar to the stance Revan assumed on his flagship, but on the right side instead. Using a right side-oriented stance flowed better with the attack swings and fakes existent for Juyo. I was intending to do a 2-frame animation loop to simulate breathing, but the following frame pointed the saber too far off-center; if I can figure out how to use Dragon maybe that can be done.

Future work:

• I'm looking into another defensive stance for Soresu that doesn't obstruct the view so much in TrueView but still flows well with the animations.
  • Djem So might be retooled a bit into a very aggressive migi hasso variation (compared to the current one).

Suggestions welcome :)

great work, making each styles opening stance has to be done in a way where they are all unique looking and adhere to the style combat philosophy.

looking at the stances in OJP 1.2 enhanced, Juyo is the same as shii-cho .. and Makashi to me seemed a bit rigid,

You fixed them both, congrats :)

Yeah, melee stance is being changed. I'm looking into it.

Some new breathing stances, one for the aforementioned Makashi, as well as one for Viper, just to test how well a jodan stance for Djem So will look good.

Makashi

Makashi - right side view

Makashi - front right 3/4

Makashi - front view 1

Makashi - front view 2

Makashi - front view 3

Makashi - front left 3/4

Makashi - left side view

Makashi - left rear 3/4

Makashi - rear view

Djem So

Djem So - left side view

Djem So - rear left 3/4

Djem So - rear view

Djem So - rear right 3/4 1

Djem So - rear right 3/4 2

Djem So - right side view 1

Djem So - right side view 2

Djem So - front right 3/4 1

Djem So - front right 3/4 2

Djem So - front right 3/4 3

Djem So - front view

Djem So - front left 3/4

Retooling Juyo. Was working on it first, but then Dragon crashed due to my screen saver activating.

the djem so you have here is actually anakin's Shien stance. But it doesn't matter cause any stance can be used with any style, plus It really separates itself from the others, nice work.

Makashi here is better then the last one!! its slightly higher which very much resembles this...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Dooku_wosw.jpg

beautiful work :) i can really see this getting the gold star from Razorace...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread is golden. Why did it die? I am loving these stances. As a juyo user, I could really appreciate a different stance for it. I would prefer the Revan stance for Juyo. I think that in the perfect OJp world that I should walk up to someone, they pull out their saber and I know what style they use. Just my thoughts though.

Shii-cho, Makashi, Djem So, Juyo, and Niman/Staff (well more like Shien/Staff now) have already been retooled via Dragon, but I'm not releasing here until I redo the Shien/Staff attack animations. Also considering redoing Soresu and Ataru.

I'm also trying to halve the size of the GLA file because someone who was working on appending parry animations ended up appending an entire copy of the humanoid.gla, so we have twice the anims than what we really use = 2x the amount of crap to download and go over for modifications. It's a bit of a pain to sort out this mess, so that's bogging down workload a little.

Please man... do not modify the swings... Just release the stances, believe me - that's all most of us want. Please release soon!

They need to be fixed. Niman/Staff is simply not very playable as is without both blades activated. I also have a feeling that people are itching to fight with a reverse grip anyway. Please have a bit of patience, thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Open jedi project should seperate dual and ataru as well as niman and staff styles. this is so that each stance can be unique.

i feel that the swings for most of the stances do need some attention. i reckon that each style needs to be different

Archived