Home

OJP V1.3 Force Suggestion Thread

Maxstate

FORCE POWERS!

We have all used them. Recently, Darthdie has considerably improved the physics for the telekinesis-based powers. Grip has become the wrecking-ball power and pull is now more dangerous to the user than to the pulled.

There is room to improve however! We still have unused powers like Drain, Heal, Energize and Force Fap. I've made awesome progress with the effects and could whip up pretty much anything that we'd need in a short period of time. My summer vacation starts tomorrow, and I'm going to have a lot of free days that I'm willing to spend completely on improving OJP, as a thank you to the community. I'm sure the other guys wouldn't say no to new features either.

The point of this thread is to brainstorm new Force Power ideas or adjustments to existing Force powers. I want the help of every single one of you. I want you to put your minds into a collective hive and thinktank your way to better Force powers and I want you to do it RIGHT HERE IN DIS THRED LOL.

Let's start it off, and watch the format I use to describe the powers, try to use it:

-Force sense-

Level 3

Should allow a jedi to dodge sniper shots for less money.

=Why?=

Because it seems natural and it was possible in the SP game.

=Why not?=

Too much work for a feature that might not be used.

-Force Team Heal-

Level 1

Make a huge amount of glowy purplish-blue particles erupt around the player, using the player's FP to heal a part of his team's DP/HP in a radius around the player.

=Why?=

If we decide to make OJP more team-based in the future, and we make HP actually matter, this'll be a great addition.

=Why not?=

Cause it's a lame idea lol.

Your turn!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright here are my stupid suggestions.

Team Heal

Well I like the Idea of Team Heal healing both DP and HP by Maxstate.

Radius increase per level.

However if its in FFA the abilty must be pointed at someone then the heal will try and reach its target if its in range.

Team Energize

I think it should recover FP and Lessen Mishap, so it’s a matching power to Team Heal.

Radius increase per level.

However if its in FFA the abilty must be pointed at someone then the heal will try and reach its target if its in range

Heal

Make it recover DP HP and maybe Mishap, at the cost of a lot of force so it can’t be spammed. ~50

Heal amount increase per level

Drain

Make it Drain enemy force and recover DP HP and maybe Mishap. Make start up cost high so it cant be spammed. ~20

Make it a 2:1 ratio, example, for ever 2 points drained = 1 point of DP/HP

I don’t think we should have it drain DP or HP directly because that’s lightning’s job.

Make it like a corresponding power to lightning so it has the same arcs and ranges depending on level

I haz creative suggestions.

Well not really, but my thoughts where to make is simple for Die, sense he is hard at work with the physics engine, yet still introduce “new” and exciting powers, without putting to much work on your shoulders and increasing the release time.

However I am looking to Max for creative efx to add a new feeling to the powers, the green glow of Team Heal, the blue glow of Team Energize, the red lasers of drain, and the purplish heal thing could be replaced with something more flashy. Also maybe you could do something with Protect/Rage mainly protect is it ugly as hell. Make something bling blingy. I know you can. : )

PS, Also Maxstate, I apologize if I am coming across as a douche to you sometimes, and in many ways I am. I will stop and do what I can for you and OJP. So let us just try and rekindle relationships, and work on creating a better mod together.

I think jumping and speed should have two specific branches. Say, speed also accounts for reaction, so say you have sense and sense both in 3, that'd automatically mean dodging sniper fire and such takes a lot less effort (reflexes, etc.)

By branches, I mean that speed should be handled like it is (remain like it is) but add a specific "dash" move. Something that makes you travel an X distance, VERY quickly, but has the side effect of leaving you a little open at the other end, or something like that.

Think of it like a quasi-teleport move, except for the fact it's not a teleport so objects in the way and etc would stop you (or knock you down!)

Jump is, well, a combination of levitation and actual force speed in some way. So, jumping can also have a JK-style mode where you just rocket upwards (and can hurt yourself if you don't use it right) and a mode where you have air control, etc.

So, my idea is, say, doubletap force for one (dash/super jumping) and otherwise it'd be the normal usage (hold for accel running or jumping with air control and acrobatics.)

Plus, it'd be really cool to be able to dash in the air too. But well, that's all I can think of right now that I'd love to see ingame. Well, force destruction (AKA: HADOKEN!) should be in there somewhere too, cuz it's just neat like that. But I can live without it. :x

hmm i believe the force powers in OJP should be force powers which are canon, and have references, then from that we can stem as much balancing as is required (even though logically force powers could beat everything LOL)

Force powers should remain what they are, Tanqexe suggested many times that he does not want Dark Rage or Protection force powers to be in. I after playing with them the 10th time see the novelty wear off. I think been faithful to starwars is important as well as been realistic and balanced. Infinite number of ways to use the force.

Have a good combination of these 3 criteria means that we can have a good mod. I been a large fan, supporter and contributer to it want only whats best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_power

Could help some brainstorming.

oddly it says this

'Jedi mind trick', Affect Mind or Persuasion is a universal force power, not a light side power. :p oh noes. Peronally i think Universal force powers are in fact Light side powers. Concentration, suppressing emotion. While dark side is embracing anger, perhaps even controlling anger to use its destructive ends whenever its needed.

hmm i believe the force powers in OJP should be force powers which are canon, and have references, then from that we can stem as much balancing as is required (even though logically force powers could beat everything LOL)

Well we certainly don't want to pull a Force Spawn-The-Rabbit-And-Fling-It-At-People-Like-It's-A-Javelin out of our collective asses, that goes without saying.

Force powers should remain what they are, Tanqexe suggested many times that he does not want Dark Rage or Protection force powers to be in. I after playing with them the 10th time see the novelty wear off. I think been faithful to starwars is important as well as been realistic and balanced. Infinite number of ways to use the force.

Er what? I never, ever said that. Max said that. I'm for keeping Rage and Protect in, they just need to be tweaked and expanded on instead of being their current one-hit solutions. Especially since some people love abusing Rage to gang up on people.

'Jedi mind trick', Affect Mind or Persuasion is a universal force power, not a light side power. :p oh noes. Peronally i think Universal force powers are in fact Light side powers. Concentration, suppressing emotion. While dark side is embracing anger, perhaps even controlling anger to use its destructive ends whenever its needed.

Dark Side powers require concentration too, it's not like someone enters emo mode and whoever is more emo is more powerful in the Dark Side.

Now for gameplay purposes, we will have to assign Light and Dark side powers a certain way. I guess in general, there needs to be a cost to having level 3 of any of these Light/Dark oriented powers, just as there are currently limits on guns vs Force. Or, alternatively (and more complicated), it may be possible to access both Light/Dark powers equally. However, certain powers cost extra FP to use depending on the amount of skill points invested in either Light or Dark powers overall - cheaper to use if completely invested in one side, more costly to access powers on the other side, and average cost if equal.

Absorb needs to be moved into the Neutral column, though. Plus I'm a proponent of chargeable TK powers.

Er what? I never, ever said that. Max said that. I'm for keeping Rage and Protect in, they just need to be tweaked and expanded on instead of being their current one-hit solutions. Especially since some people love abusing Rage to gang up on people.

I would be more concerned about grip abuse on gunners. A skilled player can still beat rage, you can always speed or run from it. Plus Rage takes 50 force, so if they use it more then once they are pretty much screwed. And you have a speed debuff for a long time. Not to mention that Saber Locks break rage. I think thats a bug...

However pull and grip is impossible for a gunner to run and get distance, I was pulled 7 times in air and a Jedi still had enough force to grip me. And I had a full tank of fuel. I think Grip needs to be looked into. To me it feels really overpowered when I play gunner.

Well we certainly don't want to pull a Force Spawn-The-Rabbit-And-Fling-It-At-People-Like-It's-A-Javelin out of our collective asses, that goes without saying.

No shhit.

Dark Side powers require concentration too, it's not like someone enters emo mode and whoever is more emo is more powerful in the Dark Side.

I never said it didn't.

Now for gameplay purposes, we will have to assign Light and Dark side powers a certain way. I guess in general, there needs to be a cost to having level 3 of any of these Light/Dark oriented powers, just as there are currently limits on guns vs Force. Or, alternatively (and more complicated), it may be possible to access both Light/Dark powers equally. However, certain powers cost extra FP to use depending on the amount of skill points invested in either Light or Dark powers overall - cheaper to use if completely invested in one side, more costly to access powers on the other side, and average cost if equal.

Absorb needs to be moved into the Neutral column, though. Plus I'm a proponent of chargeable TK powers.

Indeed, limitations on everything, limitation is what makes players happy :D (sarcasm)

I would be more concerned about grip abuse on gunners. A skilled player can still beat rage, you can always speed or run from it. Plus Rage takes 50 force, so if they use it more then once they are pretty much screwed. And you have a speed debuff for a long time. Not to mention that Saber Locks break rage. I think thats a bug...

However pull and grip is impossible for a gunner to run and get distance, I was pulled 7 times in air and a Jedi still had enough force to grip me. And I had a full tank of fuel. I think Grip needs to be looked into. To me it feels really overpowered when I play gunner.

I think the problem is that the kick from rapid fire of heavy weapons is preventing the heavy weapons from being as lethal as they should be. The extra damage inflicted on running saberists should be helping with equalizing the risks for Jedi vs gunner, it's just that gunners with heavy weapons are so easy to push when they go full bore. Full force vulnerability should apply for more long range or high-yield weapons like the disruptor and rocket launcher, but not as much for like the T-21 and Clone Rifle. The benefit of those two weapons should be their high ROF (or in the case of the T-21, if it becomes more shotgun-like, the damage spread), so the high rate of incurring mishap is kinda nerfing their efficacy, especially in games where players have at least 90+ skill points.

The fact that you can cancel grip if you shoot whoever's gripping you should help - I haven't checked, but using a flamethrower can be another way of preventing grip. Ideally a close-range weapon with a wide spread would help against someone being gripped, which is why I've been continually advocating for having the T21 primary fire like a shotgun spread.

Yeah, the saberlocks unintentionally cancel Rage and Protect. It's a nice counter to Rage (when the server actually allows saberlocks *ahem TNT clan server*), but the canceling of Protect I'm not too keen on.

Rage and Protect need a little tweaking, they're still too much like the baseJA powers. But once they're balanced out and have more depth they should be well-integrated additions to a saberist's repertoire.

No shhit.

I was being nice about your penchant for overstating the obvious. Don't be an ass.

I never said it didn't.

Misread. Your diction wasn't very clear. I think what you were intending to say was that use of Light Side powers were more meditative, not suppressive of emotions but finding inner peace, while Dark Side powers were more like capitalizing on one's emotional lack of equilibrium.

Indeed, limitations on everything, limitation is what makes players happy :D (sarcasm)

Yeah, like it makes so much sense to master both Light and Dark Side powers when the fundamental basis for channeling them are so opposite of each other. And it makes so much sense gameplay-wise to be be all "I AM OVER 9000!!!11" with level 3 everything so you're some ubergod who's really just compensating for something, eliminating the careful calculations one has to make to beat other people. If we're going to focus more on tactical gameplay, the latter is the more sensible approach. The Ubergod complex is for prepubescents.

Replacement for rage (this replacement will be a neutral power)

-Force Deflection-

Level 1

Use like parry, send incoming blaster bolts in a random direction with 50% efficiency (Half the bolts will be deflected). Cannot be selected if user uses guns/lightsaber (force only builds).

=Why?=

Encourage the use of force powers over guns and sabers to add another layer to the game.

=Why not?=

I dunno, why not?

-Force Deflection-

Level 2

Use like parry, send incoming blaster bolts towards the person firing with 75% efficiency (3/4 of the bolts will be deflected when parried correctly). Cannot be selected if the user has selected guns/lightsaber (force only builds).

=Why? and Why not?=

See the level 1

-Force Deflection

Level 3

Use like parry, send incoming blaster bolts extremely close towards the person firing with 90% efficiency (9/10 bolts reflected when parried correctly). Cannot be selected if the user has selceted guns/lightsaber (force only builds).

=Why?=

Encourages team based fighting on the enemy team. This only works when facing the firer. Like "You push from behind, I pull from front", except "Shoot that dude in the back while I shoot 'im in the front"

=Why not?=

You're dumb if you don't like this idea...

Replacement for rage (this replacement will be a neutral power)

Yeah this is a nice idea, I remember thinking about expanding Force as a third axis of gameplay instead of limiting it to the current saberist/gunner paradigm. This'll definitely help.

I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of the bubble-based skill point selection screen right now. We can go for something smaller, almost like a power meter of sorts that can "branch out" to indicate the unlocking of different skills. For one, it'll free up a LOT more space to put in powers and have maybe 2 lines for description of powers (this will be a great boon especially for saber style descriptions + skills with extra lvl 3 bonuses). Not to mention it'll look more sci-fi and less Sim City-ish.

Couple ideas, variations on a theme:

Neutral Powers

Force Sense

-Force Sense (lvl 1): Like current Sense 3

-Knight Sense (lvl 2): Displays ally and enemy HP/SP/DP/FP; dodge full charge sniper shot at cost of half your DP (or some large set amount); 115 FP pool

-Master Sense (lvl 3):Knight Sense abilities, dodge full charge sniper shot at cost of 1/4 DP pool (or some more reduced amount); 125 FP pool

Force Resistance (Absorb): Passive power but can be used actively to repel

-Force Resist (lvl 1): Passive Force resistance lvl 1

-Knight Resist (lvl 2): Passive Force resist lvl 2, limited reflection of Force powers (a bit iffy on this, working out this idea)

-Master Resist (lvl 3): Passive Force resist lvl 3, reflect Force powers in wide arc

Force Speed (same as current)

Force Telekinesis (manipulate objects): enables chargeable Push/Pull, increasing level-> increased duration of moving manipulable object (like grip but without the HP damage) - good for moving objects in the path of gunner fire, all the other good stuff we've been experiencing using grip right now.

-Force Push (lvl 1): Like the current lvl 1 except with the force of a current lvl 2, affects 1 person; pushing people into walls and other objects hurts them

-Force Push (lvl 2): Like the current lvl 3, affects multiple people in forward arc

-Force Push (lvl 3): Force Wave, great for crowd control, velocity of current lvl 3 or maybe a little more, closer people are to the epicenter the higher the velocity of push

-Force Pull: Same principle as revised Push, except the fact that you can currently get knocked over a lot needs to be addressed

-Force Jump: Maybe Jump 3 can afford more horizontal forward direction if you do a running jump.

Light Side Powers: These tend to be more team-oriented, defensive powers.

Force Heal: Team heal incl. self, regens HP & DP, effect varies w/ level

Force Valor - Team energize

Temporarily boosts max DP pool, DP/FP regen, effect varies with level

(Lvl 3) Battle Meditation-like effect, extreme version of Team energize

-slightly slows DP/FP regen rates for opposing team in area if they are vulnerable to Force

Mind Trick

Mind Trick (lvl 1): Current Mind Trick lvl 1

(lvl 2): Current Mind Trick lvl 2

(lvl 3): Current Mind Trick lvl 3 - If enemy has deployed sentry or seeker, sentry/seeker will target enemy as well

Force Protect

Like current; reduces HP damage from high velocity impacts, punches; reduces DP damage from blaster bolts and saber strikes; slight increases per level, reduced activation cost & drain per level

Force Stasis: Slows enemy movement for fixed duration

Force Stasis (lvl 1): Slows targeted enemy movement to 85%, 4 seconds

Knight Stasis (lvl 2): Slows enemy movement to 70% in a limited arc and range, 8 seconds

Master Stasis (lvl 3): Slows enemy movement to 65% in moderate arc and range, 10 seconds

Dark Side Powers: These powers are meant to be offensive, not so team oriented but are aimed at attacking multiple opponents at their highest levels

Force Choke: same as current Grip, but a little different

Choke (lvl 1): same as current Grip 2

Choke (lvl 2): same as current Grip 3

Choke (lvl 3): can grip 3 multiple opponents, a hybrid of Grip 2 and 3 - enemies stay in air for about 1 or 2 seconds after end of Grip (this might be too much, the 1-2 sec hovering doesn't have to be there, it's meant to prevent people from immediately jumping out of the way after being temporarily asphyxiated, which doesn't make much sense)

Force Lightning: same as current Lightning but with a few changes

Lightning (lvl 1): Current Lightning 2

Lightning (lvl 2): Current Lightning 3

Lightning (lvl 3): 360-degree AoE lightning, same or shorter range than Lightning 2

Force Drain: Drains enemy FP and replenishes your own at cost of DP

(dependent on enemy Force vulnerability of course)

Force Rage: Faster strikes, regular strikes do extra DP/FP damage; high mishap from getting parried, but mishap cost is slightly reduced with level

Force Scream: Disorients (maybe veeery slight camera jarring) and temporarily increases mishap of enemies if enemy mishap >=5; can show affected duration by associating a shader effect on targets (like what's being used for Mind Trick) - This would be pretty devastating in conjunction with Makashi

I am not to keen on Force Scream because it just doesnt seem... Well, I mean force scream is not a power you hear to much about and it seems kinda childish whiney... To me it just doesnt have a fitting feeling... I feel that destruction would be much better. The concept of Scream is nice, I just have a feeling that it may not be... pretty. But I am not 100% against it either.

Force stasis I am against fully because you can already be slowed by having low DP which lightning will do in time... And you already have Force Speed which can close the gaps. It doesn't add to the games overall fun factor if you get my drift when 2 other powers can be used to gain distance, especially speed. Not to mention Pull can also stall them.

I was being nice about your penchant for overstating the obvious. Don't be an ass.

Misread. Your diction wasn't very clear. I think what you were intending to say was that use of Light Side powers were more meditative, not suppressive of emotions but finding inner peace, while Dark Side powers were more like capitalizing on one's emotional lack of equilibrium.

Yeah, like it makes so much sense to master both Light and Dark Side powers when the fundamental basis for channeling them are so opposite of each other. And it makes so much sense gameplay-wise to be be all "I AM OVER 9000!!!11" with level 3 everything so you're some ubergod who's really just compensating for something, eliminating the careful calculations one has to make to beat other people. If we're going to focus more on tactical gameplay, the latter is the more sensible approach. The Ubergod complex is for prepubescents.

im not an ass... Your the ass. :confused:

many have mastered both light and dark. Such as Darth Traya for instance, learning to control your emotion, meditation techniques and unleashing your anger when its needed is possible. Training both light and dark can be vigorous and time consuming, but some have spent alot of time on it and succeeded surprisingly well.

Not to mention resisting the lure of the dark side without completely succumbing to its influence. Using its power none the less, very interesting i found it. I think that if lust for power isn't in your heart then i think it won't corrupt you. Darth Traya is evidence of that.

So its entirely possible in being powerful in both light and dark, if enough time is spent in learning both its mysteries.

Revan was another powerful Sith that even though used evil methods, his intentions where good.

this supports this fact....

"Darth Revan's brutally efficient invasion of the galaxy had been part of a complex plan to secure the Republic from a long-hidden threat known as the "True Sith", suggesting that Revan had departed on a solitary quest to defeat them once and for all."

"perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil."

"Leading his hidden forces to the Lehon system, Revan began to realize his plans. Though the Star Forge was capable of granting vast power to those who fully embraced its dark nature, Revan minimized his exposure to the ancient space station, using it purely to construct an enormous fleet with which to conquer the Republic. Darth Malak, horrified that his master would reject such strength, would later balk at what he perceived to be Revan's stupidity, yet the truth was that Revan was far from ignorant."

"Revan, unlike his apprentice, understood the dangerous consequences of drawing upon the Star Forge too heavily. The artifact had led the Infinite Empire to its doom: fueling the Rakatan species' hate, driving them to civil war. Revan had no intention of letting over-reliance on the Star Forge disrupt the order he planned to bring to the galaxy. As with everything else, he would use it for as long as he needed it, then discard it."

"Revan was an incredibly talented and diligent student of the Force—perhaps the most gifted of his time—and eventually, by all accounts, became a very powerful Force practitioner. As one of the few individuals in galactic history to reach the heights of Sith power and return to the Jedi, he proved himself highly skilled in the use of both the dark and light sides of the Force."

Force Scream doesn't sound childish. ~_~ there are many forms of combat nowadays where a certain yell or scream is used in different ways, for example to add power to your own thrust / slash, or to intimidate the opponent. (or both).

I would like Force Protect to also protect from a stickied Detpack.

I think if Force Lightning would be 360 degrees at lvl 3, The way it works should be elaborated upon.

For example: would you rather point a gun to your front, then have a magic bullet that splits up in 20 bullets that fly all around? Or point a gun upwards, and have them all spread equally? (Considering that according to teh crap lightning spreads from the fingertips, meaning if you stick your arms out to the front, the way it spreads with 360 degrees would be different than when you put them up in the air)

Some of my ideas:

Force Push, Pull and Grip:

Changed into Force Telekinesis and Force Choke.

Telekinesis controls level of both push and pull, thus these won't be in the leveling menu.

Instead you change the distance between you and lifted object by pressing push/pull buttons - the more rapid change, the bigger momentum of the affected object...

When using telekinesis you shouldn't be nerfed in speed as with the current Grip, but when applying Choke, then you should.

Choke causes damage to your opponent and makes him/her immobile for a moment (like Luke did to the Gamorreans in ROTJ), but doesn't lift them.

Next step would be liftable items, and eventually liftable map objects. Imagine lifting up a bunch of crates and throwing them to a squad of stormtroopers...

I am not to keen on Force Scream because it just doesnt seem... Well, I mean force scream is not a power you hear to much about and it seems kinda childish whiney... To me it just doesnt have a fitting feeling... I feel that destruction would be much better. The concept of Scream is nice, I just have a feeling that it may not be... pretty. But I am not 100% against it either.

Force stasis I am against fully because you can already be slowed by having low DP which lightning will do in time... And you already have Force Speed which can close the gaps. It doesn't add to the games overall fun factor if you get my drift when 2 other powers can be used to gain distance, especially speed. Not to mention Pull can also stall them.

Well in terms of effects Lightning already serves a decent purpose in terms of a Dark Side mid- to long-range DP drainer (without being super OP in a multiplayer scenario, not simply 1 v 1 duel), so having Force Destruction may seem either a bit superfluous or should have some serious drawbacks for something so ridiculously powerful. Scream was a pretty effective power from KotOR 2 that did physical damage and also lowered attributes - if translated into OJP it would be overkill, but the idea behind it could prove useful, especially against gunners who've been shooting full-bore at high mastery level. Against Force users it would be another way to drive up someone's mishap after being parried or dealt Makashi strikes several times, but it rewards someone who's good at parries who would be immune to such a power. I'm not really against Force Destruction as a Dark Side power, but it'd have to be balanced out with a counter on the Light Side as well (Stasis comes in handy here)

Stasis was meant to affect run speed as well as attacks. Speed has some limitations. A gunner can still use Jetpack to run away/hit the flamethrower, and a Force user can use Speed as well, do a ridiculously high Jump 1 or Push/Lightning, especially when they're almost dead. Stasis is another means of countering fast attacks from someone in Rage if you parry him 2-3 times in succession, as well as to counter someone who's already vulnerable to force but is retreating with Jump and/or Speed, as a more elegant alternative to Push/Pull, where you have to repeatedly use the power if the enemy isn't completely vulnerable to force. It would also be the equivalent of a cryo/adhesive grenade for gunners should something like that be implemented. I can see Stasis as being a bit more unfair for gunners, but if we either a) up the damage per shot on the heavy weapons only (or all weapons except pistol and bowcaster), or b) lower the mishap costs on the heavy weapons, then things may balance out.

im not an ass... Your the ass.

Says someone who assumes we don't already know about or how to Wiki a list of Force powers, or hints at our making Force powers that are non-canon. Bit of an insult to intelligence. We're all Star Wars fans here.

many have mastered both light and dark. Such as Darth Traya for instance, learning to control your emotion, meditation techniques and unleashing your anger when its needed is possible. training both light and dark can be vigorous and time consuming, but some such have spent alot of time on it and succeeded surprisingly well.

Not to mention resisting the lure of the dark side without completely succumbing to its influence. Using its power none the less, very interesting i found it. I think that if lust for power isn't in your heart then i think it won't corrupt you. Darth Traya is evidence of that.

So its entirely possible in being powerful in both light and dark, if enough time is spent in learning both its mysteries.

Wiki up the Potentium heresy. I'm reluctant to bring up the NJO stuff because the writers have left a very bad taste in my mouth on how they handle the NJO characters, but there's a reason why Luke brought back the orthodox Dark/Light distinctions of the Force and got rid of the Potentium philosophy. Caedus being a big reason. Palpatine also used this idea to lure Anakin in Ep III. Besides, you're talking about the exception and not the norm. We want to simulate the norm in gameplay, not the exception - one reason why Sever Force would be a crap power in a game, as an example. Or multiple people who're as uber as to be in-game equivalents of Legacy era Luke Skywalker (even someone with 500 skill points to use won't even come close to a Luke).

Force Scream doesn't sound childish. ~_~ there are many forms of combat nowadays where a certain yell or scream is used in different ways, for example to add power to your own thrust / slash, or to intimidate the opponent. (or both).

Those're kiai...I know you're trying to make a point about efficacy. Force Scream did sonic damage and affected attributes in KotOR II, didn't have anything to do with bolstering lightsaber combat abilities, which is what I'm aiming more towards.

I would like Force Protect to also protect from a stickied Detpack.

Or at least reduce the damage, plus maybe prevent knockdown from explosions, limited to outside a certain radius of the explosion.

I think if Force Lightning would be 360 degrees at lvl 3, The way it works should be elaborated upon.

For example: would you rather point a gun to your front, then have a magic bullet that splits up in 20 bullets that fly all around? Or point a gun upwards, and have them all spread equally? (Considering that according to teh crap lightning spreads from the fingertips, meaning if you stick your arms out to the front, the way it spreads with 360 degrees would be different than when you put them up in the air)

That would depend on what would make a Level 3 power worth buying, I guess - offensive crowd control or suppressive crowd control (difference is in damage, duration, and whether the strikes are random (i.e. a bunch of random single strand lightnings within a radius, or a complete blanket of the lightning effect witin a certain radius). Having strikes at random would be too much of a hassle to code, probably.

I can see this working in three ways:

1)High damage, short burst within specified radius - drains lots of DP in that short burst, and at the fringe of the radius, pushback/knockdown a la grenade where people get thrown back. Cost is a significant set amount of FP. This is the offensive crowd control option. Visually it'll look like the AoE version of multiple bolts of the old Lightning 2 EFX to show the powerful short burst.

2)Draining damage (like current lvl 3), long duration burst. Pretty much AoE version of new lvl 2 lightning (old lvl 3). This is the suppressive crowd control option. Effect would be AoE version of old Lightning 3 EFX.

3)Combine the two. Default lvl 3 is option 2, holding a secondary bind gives you the short burst damage of option 1 (variation on Destroyer's suggestion).

Now, this would be a pretty powerful tool, and once you're stuck in there you're kind of helpless. Gunners can shoot, even when they're getting knocked down or pushed back; Force users can't really use their sabers at this point, so there will have to be a counter - Push? An active Absorb power to reflect? Make using Lightning drain more DP but at the cost of rising Mishap?

Option 3 gets me thinking how we can use a secondary bind (perhaps quick parry button) to change the normal force power effects into AoE versions of their respective powers - doable only at lvl 3. Push/Pull are obvious - what about AoE Choke, where multiple people undergo Choke lvl 2 (rising into the air while choking), with the vanilla Choke 3 being able to move/Choke multiple people? And then Stasis, Scream, etc.

Some of my ideas:

Telekinesis controls level of both push and pull, thus these won't be in the leveling menu.

Instead you change the distance between you and lifted object by pressing push/pull buttons - the more rapid change, the bigger momentum of the affected object...

When using telekinesis you shouldn't be nerfed in speed as with the current Grip, but when applying Choke, then you should.

Choke causes damage to your opponent and makes him/her immobile for a moment (like Luke did to the Gamorreans in ROTJ), but doesn't lift them.

Next step would be liftable items, and eventually liftable map objects. Imagine lifting up a bunch of crates and throwing them to a squad of stormtroopers...

That is getting into a level of physics that I don't even want to begin to dream about the hundreds of thousands of lines of code Darthdie would be up for months writing... then again, he could tie in a pre-made physics engine... the only thing needed would be entities that map makers could use for OJP-E specific.

LOL, I think Darth's having some fun tying in some physics engine or other. IIRC he said he's tried a few but one might be working - don't really remember what he said yesterday.

Some of my ideas:

Integrating Push/Pull into TK is actually a really, really elegant idea. Maybe this can be how TK Push/Pull can work:

Single button to activate TK. Lasts a certain duration dependent on level. Tap TK button again to cancel. However, if you hold down TK button, you can go up to 3 levels of push/pull. When you let go of the TK button, your target will be flung in the direction you are moving. The Push/Pull buttons in TK mode can adjust the distance of the object to you. Aided with the mouse, you can push-fling someone, if Darth gets ragdoll physics working. Push Pull buttons can work as their chargeable selves without having to activate TK, just for those quick and dirty push/pulls in the middle of a chaotic fight.

Quick parry button + lvl 3 TK = lift multiple objects to Push/Pull.

Hmm...I see where you're going with the whole Choke w/ no lift thing, but I don't know if it'd be too much of a hassle to activate TK at the same time. Technically if you've targeted someone with TK they're already vulnerable to Force, so I guess that could work.

Archived