Home

"Pregnancy Pact" in Gloucester

JCarter426

Lots of links

Apparently at Gloucester High School (that's pronounced "GLOU-stah" for you out-of-staters ;)) there is a "pregnancy pact"--that is, teenage girls making a pact to get pregnant together. At least, that's what the story is now; some questions have been raised as to the veracity of the story. Though, considering how many crazies there are here, odds are the big surprise of the story is that it's even worse than it sounds. ;)

All I have to say if the story is true, not only should this pact be stopped, but anyone who even thinks of ever making the pact should be legally restricted from having children ever. ;) So...discuss.

Anyone think they feel unloved by parents, and are looking for someone to be dependant on them?

Having kids is a pretty selfish act in any case in my opinion, this is a huge generalization, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

--

If they're young and have children there's two possible reasons (I'm ignoring biological aspects):

a) The mother tries to fill that "emptiness" inside of her with a child, or she's looking for a meaning in life where the child steps in.

b) The child is accidental.

And when people get older they have kids because:

a) It's a social norm to have kids, so women have kids just so they can "fit in" and not feel outside if their friends already have a family etc. Plus they might have pressure from relatives/parents as well.

As for the article, I truly hope that the pact doesn't exist.

I fail to understand it as well jonathan7...the only thing I can come up with is that they simply fail to understand the rigors of actually being a parent. Lord knows I had no clue until I had two kids myself, and my kids are young..I suspect that I won't really get it until they're a little bit older and I've had to deal with some of the situations that my parents dealt with.

There's actually a show getting ready to air on nbc called The Baby Borrowers. http://www.nbc.com/The_Baby_Borrowers/about/index.shtml

I think that any parent who has a teenager ought to sit down and watch this show with their kid...I know I would if mine were old enough.

Pho3nix: I think you're forgetting a couple of other reasons people have kids:

1.) they WANT to which has nothing to do with social norms...my wife and I wanted to have children and it had nothing to do with our friends or anything even resembling that.

2.)it's also written into the biology of every species on earth to procreate.

I heard about this too.

I also heard that some of them went out and found a random hobo because they didn't want the repercussions of having sex with a friend.

Seems to be confirmed by these articles:

Sullivan told the magazine that the pact wasn't the only shocking incident.

"We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy," he told Time.

_EW_

the only thing I can come up with is that they simply fail to understand the rigors of actually being a parent.

We have a winner.

Pregnancy pact = mind-boggling in its stupidity. If that's indeed what happened; haven't been following this too closely. My eyes almost roll out of their sockets every time this story gets mentioned.

I really wish they wouldn't have kids. Ever.

They don't deserve the ability to pass on their genes.

I think that this concept ties closely into the 'Sexual Promiscuity of this Generation' I made a while ago.

Kids think it's ok to go out and be sexually active. What society accepts is too much.

_EW_

Pho3nix: I think you're forgetting a couple of other reasons people have kids:

1.) they WANT to which has nothing to do with social norms...my wife and I wanted to have children and it had nothing to do with our friends or anything even resembling that.

I believe you, but I still think It's more complicated than that, there has to be some underlying psychological (and biological) aspects as well.

2.)it's also written into the biology of every species on earth to procreate.

Indeed, but as I stated in my post I was ignoring biological aspects.

I think the other problem we have is failure to educate, and communicate mostly on the family end. The schools are limited by their curriculum, but that doesn't mean that the curriculum can't be changed to adapt to the current times and I believe it should be. I know the sex-ed classes I got were probably outdated by at least 10 years and it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing is true today.

Going back to what I said about family...I think that in the United States a lot of people are afraid to talk about sex, and then if you throw religion into the mix which in some cases vilifies sex you end up with crap like this happening. It's truly a sad state of affairs.

One of the fathers was a 24 year old homeless man?

I recently told my girlfriend about this story and, disturbingly, the first thing out of her mouth was:

"Who becomes homeless at 24?"

Honestly, this truely disturbs me. Teenage girls these days are way more promiscuous than before and don't treat preganancy with the serious thought that it truely deserves.

Honestly, this truely disturbs me. Teenage girls and boys these days are way more promiscuous than before and don't treat preganancy with the serious thought that it truely deserves.
Fixed. :)

Remember before you start pointing fingers: it takes two. If I may be slightly biased, men are typically even less responsible, because they don't have to carry a child.

Remember before you start pointing fingers: it takes two. If I may be slightly biased, men are typically even less responsible, because they don't have to carry a child.

I don't think you're being biased. I agree that men are typically less responsible.

However, once the woman is pregnant, the man usually has to deal with the headache of providing child support, so I guess that balances it out...

He can just runs off, try to avoid paying anything at all, atempt to force her to have an abortion. Besides, Even if he pays without complaint, he might still not want to raise the child which makes the girl a single teenage mother, not a fun position to be in. And child support tend to be a lot less than 50% of the cost. So no, I disagree that paying child support balance things out.

He can just runs off' date=' try to avoid paying anything at all, atempt to force her to have an abortion. Besides, Even if he pays without complaint, he might still not want to raise the child which makes the girl a single teenage mother, not a fun position to be in. And child support tend to be a lot less than 50% of the cost. So no, I disagree that paying child support balance things out.[/quote']

Is that legal?

I was under the impression that the courts can force a biological father to pay child support...

And I don't think you can force a girl to have an abortion against her will...

Besides, many of those men are poor themselves so paying the child support can take a considerable chunk out of their income.

Legal? No. Possible? Yes. A lot of places the police don't have the funding to get the guy to pay. And while you can't force an abortion, unless you are crazy enough to pound the belly, in which case the police will come after you. You can however be a total *******/threaten, which can make it hard for the girl to refuse one. As for the males being poor, on average, men are wealthier than women, and unless the law is very different in the U.S, child support<<the cost for the single parrent.

Well...on the plus side...this story is turning out to be a "fake" of sorts...

The pact portion of the story is apparently not true. The source of the story was the principal who is now saying he can't remember saying that and that his memory is "fuzzy". Supposedly he mentioned the pact as a way to right off why his school's pregnancy rate quadrupled (need to check the source on that again) over the course of a year.

The "true" part of the story is that the teens did get pregnant, which is very unfortunate imo as they are way too young to know what is going on. I guess we could say at least they aren't crazy enough to do a pact...i'm reaching for some positivity here. :confused:

At work at the moment, but when i find it again I'll post the story where they talk about the principal.

Why on earth do they want to be parents so young? Anyone think they feel unloved by parents, and are looking for someone to be dependant on them?

They might want someone to love them unconditionally. :(

That is true.

The pact portion of the story is apparently not true. The source of the story was the principal who is now saying he can't remember saying that and that his memory is "fuzzy". Supposedly he mentioned the pact as a way to right off why his school's pregnancy rate quadrupled (need to check the source on that again) over the course of a year.

The "true" part of the story is that the teens did get pregnant, which is very unfortunate imo as they are way too young to know what is going on. I guess we could say at least they aren't crazy enough to do a pact...i'm reaching for some positivity here. :confused:

Hmm. Quadrupled!? Wow.

I don't think that it is really our business, to tell you the truth. I'm really not sure if there is anything that we can really do to stop this. We cannot stop these people from having sex, and getting pregnant. We can educate them on the matter, but I don't think that there is much else that we can do. I certainly wish that there is something that we could do.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Very good point, Inyri.

He can just runs off' date=' try to avoid paying anything at all, atempt to force her to have an abortion. Besides, Even if he pays without complaint, he might still not want to raise the child which makes the girl a single teenage mother, not a fun position to be in. And child support tend to be a lot less than 50% of the cost. So no, I disagree that paying child support balance things out.[/quote']

Agreed. Very much so.

Well...on the plus side...this story is turning out to be a "fake" of sorts...

At work at the moment, but when i find it again I'll post the story where they talk about the principal.

Please do. I don't know whether or not this makes it better or worse. The idiocy shifts from the kids to the principal. Good role model.

_EW_

Archived