Home

A few questions about running an Asteroids-mod-like OJP server.

It's been several years since I played, but perhaps it's time for a comeback... :)

I want to run a server that mixes ground FFA/TFFA/Jedi Master (or whatever the one with the one lightsaber people try and grab is) with vehicle-based Asteroids/Siege_Destroyer-like combat. Guns enabled.

I'm a half-decent mapmaker (ie I know how to include lighting) and will make maps to suit this game style if they don't allready exist. (I have a mostly finished one lying around from years back.)

With that in mind I have some questions to bring me up to date on the latest technologies :)

1) How well does OJP support Asteroids mod vehicles? When I last tried it years ago, it "stuttered" when flying around - was that my settings, or a known OJP limitation?

2) Is OJP still a "base JKA with a bunch of really neat features" mod, or have classes to separate Jedi from gunners been added? (A few of the posts on here confused me.)

3) How alive is JKA/OJP? Will I be able to, through posting and YouTube videos showcasing spaceship+ground combat, be able to attract enough players to keep a guns-enabled server filled?

Well OJP definitely supports vehicles, and it should support Asteroids mod, since I remember Asteroids being used with OJP Basic before - perhaps some kinks may exist that will have to be ironed out. You're just in luck, though, because retooling vehicle use in OJP is part of the v1.3 roadmap, and you can take part in helping us expand in the vehicle combat area if you're interested.

OJP at its heart is still a bit like base, but the gameplay mechanics have been changed a lot, for both sabering and gunning. We don't have defined, set classes per se, but a spectrum does exist from pure Jedi to pure gunner, with hybrids of various degrees in between. All of them have been and are continually adjusted for balance. We just call them Jedi, hybrid, and gunner for simplicity, which might be why you might have been confused.

OJP's been mainly about serving as a foundational set of integrated systems that can be built on top of by another mod - Max, Darth, and I have a little side project that'll capitalize on that, but for now everything's hush hush until we've got something concrete to show.

OJP v1.2 just got released recently and there has been a large influx of players, so the OJP community's very much alive. You can certainly promote as you wish - integrating space combat would certainly expand our repertoire of game environments, and that's always a good thing.

It's been several years since I played, but perhaps it's time for a comeback... :)

I want to run a server that mixes ground FFA/TFFA/Jedi Master (or whatever the one with the one lightsaber people try and grab is) with vehicle-based Asteroids/Siege_Destroyer-like combat. Guns enabled.

I'm a half-decent mapmaker (ie I know how to include lighting) and will make maps to suit this game style if they don't allready exist. (I have a mostly finished one lying around from years back.)

With that in mind I have some questions to bring me up to date on the latest technologies :)

1) How well does OJP support Asteroids mod vehicles? When I last tried it years ago, it "stuttered" when flying around - was that my settings, or a known OJP limitation?

2) Is OJP still a "base JKA with a bunch of really neat features" mod, or have classes to separate Jedi from gunners been added? (A few of the posts on here confused me.)

3) How alive is JKA/OJP? Will I be able to, through posting and YouTube videos showcasing spaceship+ground combat, be able to attract enough players to keep a guns-enabled server filled?

1)

As Tanq said, I see the manual connoting to OJP Basic, and not to OJPEnhanced which is what we're working on. You'd have to check out the documentation for yourself because I believe the Asteroids mod hasn't been worked on since RenegadeofPhunk was here, and that was a long time ago. I'm not ashamed to admit that I really don't know, either. I do know that vehicles do not stutter when you fly around, and that their ease-of-use has improved, but that landing is still kind of a bitch. We'll solve that in the near future thoguh.

2)

There are no classes. You have two seperate lists of Force Powers and Lightsaber skills, and Blasters and gadgets. You can pick and choose thing from this list using the skillpoints you develop while playing the game. Higher levels of things denote better usability, power, duration, more ammo, more damage, more rate of fire or an unlocked secondary fire mode.

As long as everyone is still willing, we will continue to add Force powers and other items and skills to the game. There are two threads currently on the forums for this.

3)

OJP has been struggling with player-count for a good time, but that time seems to be permanently over. Last time I checked there were between 8 and 14 servers online with at least 40% of them being filled with some amount of players. The TNTclan server fills up pretty quickly once a few people join. Sadly, there are little new faces. It's mostly the same players, most of which I haven't seen here on the forums yet. But keep in mind that OJP on JK3files has had around 1700-1800 downloads so far, thanks to the help of the JK3files staff. Primarily Kouen and Averus.

In simple words, you might or you might not, but we're working on it.

Playtested enhanced a bit... Very sabre-centric, but has the makings for a good mixed mod. Main problem I see is the horrible lack of ammo on some weapons, and the lack of ammo/weapon pickups. (Though if I remember right the lack of pickups is a server-side option?)

There's no FFA servers when I checked... But OJP basic had just one server up running siege, which was very nice :)

Archived